Dick Reviews

• Jul 03, 2020

The cast is great and it is really funny. Revisionist history at its best.

The cast is great and it is really funny. Revisionist history at its best.

• Jun 03, 2020

Hilarious, smart and silly satire. Great entertainment.

Hilarious, smart and silly satire. Great entertainment.

• May 29, 2020

I went with 3 stars for this movie, I have seen this movie many times. I thought this was a very funny movie based on Richard Nixon and that time period. I am not really a history fan but this was a fun film that talked about a time in history. I would watch this movie again famous faces playing real life people that takes place in the 70's. Two teen girls get to be the presidents dog walker and find some shady business going on, pretty good movie 3 stars.

• May 08, 2020

This was an option to watch and write a review on for my university history class when we went over Watergate. My new second favorite Kirsten Dunst film behind Bring It On!

• Apr 02, 2020

A hilariously irreverent take on Watergate through the eyes of teenage girls. Andrew Fleming's political teen comedy Dick (1999) is a wonderful film and a clever satire on President Richard Nixon's administration through the Watergate scandal to Nixon's resignation. Fleming's direction is a fast and fun approach to historical American politics in the 1970's in under 94 minutes. Dick is like Election meets Legally Blonde. It's a silly movie, but so clever and funny with excellent leading ladies that I think most people would still have a good time with Dick. It's playful, raunchy, and even informative. Fleming gave us a Halloween classic with The Craft, while Dick is fun for the Summer! This cast is pretty insane considering the lead actresses are actually my all time favorites: Kirsten Dunst and Michelle Williams. Kirsten Dunst is dreamy and delightful as the ditzy Betsy Jobs. Dunst has fun chemistry as friends with the cute and talented Michelle Williams as Arlene Lorenzo. Williams dumb blonde is also morally invested in her father's origins and the war in Vietnam. Together, Dunst and Williams suck you into a riveting little comedy parodying Nixon's presidency to teach you that blondes are fun and have brains. They get caught up in all manner of Watergate conspiracies and both give playful and engaging performances that captivate you every second of this film. Teri Garr is super funny as Michelle's floozy mother Helen Lorenzo. Dan Hedaya is a riot in a phenomenal performance as President Richard M. Nixon. His impression is spot on for the voice, but it's his mannerisms and expressions that really bring his performance choices home. Saul Rubinek is excellently cast as Henry Kissinger. Will Ferrell is funny as a bumbling and foolish Bob Woodward and Bruce McCulloch is likewise fun as a vain and needy Carl Bernstein. G. D. Spradlin cameos as Ben Bradlee. Dave Foley is goofy as Bob Haldeman. Jim Breuer is excellent as the stuffy John Dean. Harry Shearer cameos a G. Gordon Liddy in a hilarious opener. Ryan Reynolds even cameos as the idiot Chip that makes out with Kirsten Dunst. All these men give great little character acting roles that elevate this comedy into something playful, yet biting. Fleming's direction is a breezy retelling of All the President's Men with the paranoia and intrigue, but told as a teen comedy. Andrew Fleming and Sheryl Longin's writing is quite clever ranging from tongue in cheek teen farce to witty political takedowns. Fleming's direction blends all the 90's irreverent comedies stylings with old 70's detective noirs. He has a wonderful penchant for casting interesting and cool young ladies as his leading figures for both The Craft and Dick. I wish Fleming had made more movies as excellent as these two. Mia Goldman's editing has a fun flair and a quick pace, but lets each scene play around for a bit without incessant modern cuts. Alexander Gruszynski's cinematography is actually gorgeous with plenty of pretty close-ups and cool wide shots that look like D.C. Fleming was a talented director with a fantastic crew. It's a shame that Dick is forgotten as it's certainly an underrated and underseen picture. I mean, it features my two favorite actresses of all time: Kirsten Dunst and Michelle Williams. They are both adorable and hilarious as the dumb blondes with good hearts in their bright purple and pink outfits. I should mention Deborah Everton's costumes are cute and period accurate to the late 1960's to the early 1970's hippie girl outfits. I adore her American flag costumes for the big finale. You definitely feel the era with the 70's pop soundtrack full of beloved classics to John Debney's jazzy score. Barbara Dunphy and Lucinda Zak's production design recreates The White House in detail as they decorate teenage girls' rooms with colorful affinity for pink and fuzzy carpets. This comedy is very funny and still relevant in its political humor. I highly recommend it!

• Aug 03, 2018

This movie is made of the "Hello Dollys" we desperately need during these Trump days. Goofy fun.

• Nov 22, 2017

Outstandingly quirky and unusual performances from the great Kirsten Dunst and Michelle Williams. Will Ferrell also did a gave a different type of performance! A great big celebrity cameo in at the end! Outstanding costumes as well! It's also really well shot! But, the writing and direction are just ok okay, and don't take full fully take advantage of the assets they have! It's not as funny as it should have been, and could have been! They also don't fully use or take advantage of the great and brilliant characters they gave made for Kirsten and Michelle! But, I still think it was an alright watch, and I'm not too angry about seeing it! It was very interesting as an alternative/alternate (I think maybe alternative doesn't work.?!) history movie!

• May 09, 2017

Delightful and crazy and astonishingly witty movie

Delightful and crazy and astonishingly witty movie

• Apr 03, 2017

A few chuckles, but not terribly funny. Clever in a Forest Gump sort of way (although not nearly as good as Gump). The cleverness involved these two girls stumbling into these Watergate situations. Dan Hedaya's good as Nixon, and Kissinger was a dead ringer.

• Dec 29, 2016

got to find out how many people watch this movie without knowing what watergate was...