William Shakespeare's 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

William Shakespeare's 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' Reviews

½ May 29, 2017
Not amazing, but enough fun that I watch it often. For me the most enjoyable performances were the players (Kevin Kline, Roger Rees, Max Wright, Gregory Jbara, Sam Rockwell), and Stanley Tucci as Puck. The rest were take-it-or-leave-it, they did well enough, but most of the pleasure of this movie comes from the above performances. I also really enjoy the music, both the original score, and several opera selections that seem to fit in really well (to my mind). It's a pleasant and comfortable movie to watch.
½ May 9, 2017
170509: I seem to have a place for these Shakespearean based films Romeo & Juliet (1997) being a favourite. I love the challenge of old English, which just rings of class. This film, however, I was a little uncertain about. I wasn't sure how I felt about the use of mythical creatures, magic and such. It brought a nature to the story that I wasn't sure I would enjoy, an easy out for Shakespeare it seemed. By the end however, I had caught on to the intricacies and was thoroughly entertained. I enjoyed this film and it brought a smile to my face and heart.
December 9, 2016
Michael Hoffman's adroit adaptation of the Bard's most eccentric comedy showcases wonderful sets, beautiful costumes, terrific production values, and a strong affection for the source material. Kevin Kline's Bottom steals every scene that he's in, but there's also solid acting by Michelle Pfeiffer, Rupert Everett, Anna Friel, Stanley Tucci, Dominic West, Calista Flockhart, and Christian Bale. There's no shortage of cinematic translations of A Midsummer Night's Dream out there, but this version's mixture of mirth, myth, bicycles, and body glitter manages to leave a unique impression.
September 3, 2016
Movie way better then the play.
May 8, 2016
It's as charming and sweet as the day is long. I'd say, considering the play, that's about perfect.
½ March 29, 2016
I liked the book, but not this movie. Far too long.
January 11, 2016
It's a solid adaptation to my favorite Shakespeare play with great performances from Dominic West, Stanley Tucci, and Michelle Pfeiffer. The art direction, costumes, make up, visual effects, and score are all strong as well
½ November 25, 2015
I've always believed that you cannot and should not make a film adaptation of Shakespeare's work. It's not the language style or the settings. It's all because of the fact that Shakespeare's plays are written in a way where every character can be performed in many, many, many different styles, and these styles are used thousands of times every year in America to this day. To take Hollywood heartthrobs and to through them in front of a camera to perform something that has been performed so many times by so many different people is honestly a shame to me.
But... the mistake was made in 1999, and we can at least agree that the cinematography was decent, and that the sets were fun to look at. Even with the use of Shakespeare's magnificent language, however, the chemistry between the actors do not fulfill the interest in the story, and in this situation that's the worst mistake you could ever make in a film production.
The conclusion is this: either go see the story performed on stage, or watch all the other film adaptations that will occur in the future roll in. It'll be entertaining either way.
October 18, 2015
Faithful to both the language and visionary of Shakespeare's with fine performances, but for some reason the film became incomprehensible and less compelling as it progresses to be somewhat torturous at not understanding what's going on or what they're trying to say. This adaptation is for those who admire Shakespeare's work with complete understanding. (B-)
October 4, 2015
Bottom is absolutely hilarious. A total show off, he seem to loves the extra attention
½ July 30, 2015
A Midsummer Night's Dream is an enchanting take on William Shakespeare's story, delivering the delight and joy of the play
½ April 30, 2015
A Midsummer Night's Dream is a fun adaptation of Shakespeare's play, featuring mostly solid performances across the board (Most notably Kevin Kline as Nick Bottom and Stanley Tucci as Puck), the payoff of moving the setting to the late 1800's, and being generally faithful to the source material. Verdict: B
March 6, 2015
An interesting take on Shakespeare's brilliant play, however plot inconsistencies and awkward scenes really hold this film back from it's source material.
½ January 29, 2015
The cast are clearly having a great time but there's nothing entirely new or exciting about this adaptation. Full review later.
July 11, 2014
Am imaginative take on one of the Bard's most accomplished comedies. Rich costuming and sets, superb performances from the likes of Kevin Kline and Stanley Tucci; A Midsummer Night's Dream is just as romantic and just as funny as you'd hope for from a Shakespeare adaptation.
May 5, 2014
It's well constructed, but the comedy doesn't seem as visible as it should be.
½ April 3, 2014
Unfunny and rather boring.
½ March 21, 2014
It's as scattershot and muddled as the play from which it is based, but Michael Hoffman's A Midsummer Night's Dream is a sweet, funny, and cheerful Shakespeare adaptation with a brilliant cast and marvelous production values.
½ March 14, 2014
A Midsummer Night's Dream is faithful towards the famous play by Shakespeare, but it seems a bit dull. The performances are fine, and the scenery is quaint, but the movie just seems a bit off-center.
½ February 28, 2014