William Shakespeare's 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

William Shakespeare's 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' Reviews

June 21, 2013
I still think this in theater looks better than on a movie. I always wanted to see some of this or read it (never had the chance on university but now I do since I end that era at last) and still think like I wrote before, in theater looks better....you may get confused but since is a love story, it is easy to get the feeling out of it (cliche is part of it thanks to Shakespeare). I must admit that on that DRAMA class I had last year, they said he wrote a few comedies and this one was one of those comedies...but seriously, I did not laugh a bit (LOL?). So yes, 3 stars of 5. You want to see this play? See it in a theater not on a movie place. Eso era. - June 21, 2013
June 1, 2013
A delightful adaptation of one of Shakespeare's most accessible plays, with a trans-Atlantic cast of recognisable faces who have fun with the material at hand.

Michael Hoffman's visual treat is a playground for the likes of Rupert Everett and Stanley Tucci to cause a little havoc amongst foolish mortals; it's fun to see Dominic West and Christian Bale compete for the affections of Calista Flockhart, having been previously introduced as rivals for Anna Friel. On the other side of the forest, Kevin Kline steals the show as amateur actor Bottom and his potion-induced fling with the luminous Michelle Pfeiffer is both tender and comical.

There's plenty of fun to be had here, celebrating the pursuit of love and passion.
½ May 7, 2013
Very boring! I will probably never watch this movie again.
½ April 12, 2013
Or: See Shakespeare Slaughtered.
March 9, 2013
Christian Bale is in it, but his name isn't listed! Why?
February 15, 2013
Disappointing. I simply see no point in expanding Bottom's role to make him a round character. There is no love story between him and Titania--the whole point of their romance is that it is patently ridiculous! Similarly, the film seems to want to elevate the two pairs of lovers into modern "heroes" who go against their parents wishes and marry the men they damn well please. But again, the romances in Shakespeare wind up reinforcing the arranged marriage system. Don't try to modernize this work socially. Sometimes Shakespeare is not palatable morally, but his work is always gorgeous and masterful anyway.

Also, the camerawork here is pretty cruddy. Despite the beautiful set, costume design, and makeup, the film's cinematography flattens everything out onscreen and makes it boring again!

Ah well. Three stars for being well-written.
January 22, 2013
Pretty worthless and really only worth it for Tucci.
December 27, 2012
A worthy experience of Shakespeare's beloved comedy. It's safe to say I couldn't stop laughing during the Pyramus and Thisbe section.
½ December 18, 2012
Such a good version of the play.
December 7, 2012
Above par film, worth owning.
½ November 25, 2012
it was a great film, I enjoyed it, it was actually better than what I thought and Kevin Kline, Michelle Phfeiffer and Rupert Everett starred in it, it was a good film but I'm not sure if I want it on DVD
½ November 24, 2012
Christian Bale was adorable. Michelle Pfeiffer was stunning. Stanley Tucci was hilarious. one of my favorite Shakespeare plays.
November 17, 2012
Faultless production and shining performances display the Bard's talent propitiously.
October 27, 2012
Not highbrow -- just weird.
½ October 4, 2012
i've never seen this version.
October 2, 2012
good adaptation of a shakespearian play
½ August 17, 2012
Being such a fantasy geek, I find "A Midsummer Night's Dream" to be one of Shakespeare's best works. This film adaptation is handled very well. It's faithful to the original text while still having its own unique twist.
½ July 5, 2012
THIS IS WITHOUT A DOUBT ONE OF THE WORST ADAPTATIONS OF ALL TIME! This movie is so awful, so hard to look at, and so tedious, its a disater on all levels. I read A midsummer nights dream in my english class and I liked it alot. But when we got shown the movie version, I mourned at the loss of a great piece of literature. Whats wrong with this movie? WELL TAKE A LOOK AT THE GOD DAMN PRODUCTION DESIGN! I DON'T CARE IF THEY SAY THE DIALOGE WORD BY WORD! I DON'T CARE IF THE PLOT IS THE SAME! ALL I CARE ABOUT IS THAT IT TAKES PLACE IN THE RIGHT TIME! The f@#%ing director says, nope, lets make this take place in italy. WHY ITALY YOU BUMBLING FOOL!? Everything is wrong. Everything. Its dreadful to look at 1800's bicycles and other things. The ending is also dreadful with the play scene that is barely any funny at all. This is a horendous adaptation of the classic shakesphere play. With unfunny scenes, horrible production design, actors that don't try and for all of those reasons, it sucks.

16/100 D-
½ June 23, 2012
No need to write a script, just read directly off Shakespeare's play.
June 19, 2012
I watched about 30 minutes of it and could not stand any more of it. At first they lost me with the Shakespearean language in a movie set in the 1900's, then they jump to the forest sprites. I would not recommend this movie to anyone who has not yet read the true work of Shakespeare/seen a more accurate movie version of his work.