William Shakespeare's 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

William Shakespeare's 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' Reviews

½ June 23, 2012
No need to write a script, just read directly off Shakespeare's play.
June 19, 2012
I watched about 30 minutes of it and could not stand any more of it. At first they lost me with the Shakespearean language in a movie set in the 1900's, then they jump to the forest sprites. I would not recommend this movie to anyone who has not yet read the true work of Shakespeare/seen a more accurate movie version of his work.
June 16, 2012
One of the best non Branaugh Shakespeare translations ever done
½ June 7, 2012
Well, I may be the only one, but I really liked it. We actually watched some of it in English class. Its better than some of the actual shows I've seen and I think I wouldn't really have changed anything. It's not perfect, but it's close. I give it four and a half stars. :)
May 25, 2012
Shakespeare comedy at its best!
May 17, 2012
Here we go again with another review on another Shakespeare movie and this time the movie I'm reviewing is the movie A Midsummer Night's Dream. This movie is about Shakespeare's classic comedy of unrequited love, mistaken identities, and fairy potions. It's mainly about a group of actors who finds their play interrupted when the starring player becomes involved in a love battle between the King and Queen of the Fairies. I really think this movie has a lot of things right and a lot of things wrong with it. The first thing they did right was the storyline, I found the storyline very accurate to Shakespeare's actual play which is good and plus I found Michael Hoffman was a good directing choice because he directed the movie rather well. But this movie did have flaws and the flaws were the casting choices, I don't think Kevin Kline played a bad role, but I did think Michelle Pfeiffer, Rupert Everett and Anna Friel all played terrible roles. Those actors were really poor choices for those roles. Honestly I have a lot more flaws to say about this movie, but I really I'm just going to say watch this movie and see if you like. As for me I didn't hate this movie I found it pretty enjoyable, but like I said some of the performances were awful and a few minor things were off but honestly if that doesn't bother I think you will have fun with this movie.
May 16, 2012
I LOVED IT. The only thing is you have to have read and understood the book to actually get it. The casting was amazing though
May 2, 2012
I love Shakespeare!!
April 27, 2012
a great movie i just love the shakespeare scene no question
½ April 17, 2012
funny, i did a stage version of it it High School.
½ April 7, 2012
Fun cast with equally fun performances. Another grand Shakespeare treatment with contemporary revisions.
½ February 22, 2012
Shakespeare gets a light film adaptation featuring the pitch-perfect Kevin Kline.
February 16, 2012
this was okay and sum parts wre disgusting demetrius was hott the same lines were good too
½ February 14, 2012
I saw only a third of this, roughly, and I couldn't bear to watch any more. After performing it on stage myself, I saw how much it was mangled by this version. Few people did truly well as the part. The closest were Stanley Tucci and Kevin Kline, although the backstory on Bottom was unnecessary. A weak adaptation at best.
½ February 5, 2012
This is my favourite Shakespeare play and although it could have been better, I did enjoy this as it was very pretty with lovely music. Some of the choices of actors for the roles disappointed me, in particular Oberon, who I thought was older, but I liked Kevin Kline as Bottom and I thought Calista Flockhart made a convincing Helena. Anna Friel seemed a bit of a miscast for Hermia, though.
January 25, 2012
A Shakespeare classic. Captured the essence of A Midsummer Night's Dream.
January 23, 2012
I would Love to see this movie how can I press play? wtf. love overcomes all.
January 21, 2012
This makes me remember highschool. The first time I watched it was when we were reading the story in english class.
½ December 28, 2011
I have a huge connection with this movie because I was high school production of this play. So the good actors combined with knowing the script as well as I do makes this a good movie for me.

But I didn't enjoy Flockhart in the least.
½ November 21, 2011
cant sit through it it bores me