Stranger Than Fiction - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Stranger Than Fiction Reviews

½ January 22, 2013
This was a nice surprise treat. I'm a huge Dina Meyer fan and it was a blast to see her up front and center again. It's a quick tale full of "dark comedy" and a couple surprises. It's the kind of fluff you'd read on an airplane, but that's what makes it a great rental.
September 12, 2011
... enjoyable dark comedy... totally different movie, but just as good as the more well known hollywood movie with the same name...
March 9, 2011
An ingenious, clever, and engaging film that throws twists at you! Wow, for an older film I never thought it would be this good but it sure was.. Stranger Than Fiction follows Donovan, a writer, as he tells the story of four Salt Lake City twentysomethings who happen to be caught in the situation where they have to cover up one murder and things start to get more complicated as the story line goes on. Totally unpredicatable and suprising ending. Bravo to the cast and crew for making such a great film and remember- nothing is what it seems! Highly recommended!!
½ November 20, 2009
½ December 21, 2008
This movie is not well known at all. It is one that really fell off the radar. Great movie about friends covering up a muder. Good plot, good acting and great ending.

Excellent movie with a twist at the ending.
½ August 9, 2008
This was alright at the time..
½ August 8, 2008
Not the Will Farrell one. I saw this a while ago, but thought it was really great.
½ June 19, 2008
Started off like a good dark comedy, then petered out as it tried to become a serious drama.
April 1, 2007
[SIZE=4][FONT=Impact]American Splendor[/FONT][/SIZE]

This had the potential to be very good, with a quirky edge that was reminiscent of dare I say, 'Little Miss Sunshine' or *gasp* the masterful, 'Tenenbaums' but unfortunately 'Splendor' just didn't deliver. There were breif moments where I was entertained by the original and stylistic approach of the documentary/movie but to sum up, the film was little more than a mundane documentation of boredom.

See this if you liked: 'Napoleon Dynamite', 'Thumbsucker'

[SIZE=4]
[FONT=Impact]Stranger Than Fiction[/FONT][/SIZE]

Kudos to Will Ferrell for proving that he has a deeper dimension to his capability than the one sided humor we seem to witness on a regular basis. He plays Harold Crick, the main protagonist with a loveable warmth and heartbreaking meloncholy that is consistent throughout. The film itself is beautifully written and certain stylistic elements of Harold's obsessive compulsions are expertly executed though, the actual story itself is rather weak and unsatisfying. I felt that the depth of characters as played by Emma Thompson, Maggie Gyllenhaal and Dustin Hoffman were unsympathetic and contained little substance worthy of garnering any kind of emotional sympathy from the audience. It is certainly worth watching but don't hold your breath for anything profound.

See this if you liked: 'Adaptation'
January 2, 2007
[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=3]As you can see, I've got some catching up to do. I'll get to it as soon as I can.[/size][/font]