The End of the Affair - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The End of the Affair Reviews

½ February 8, 2012
great cast, great acting!
½ February 4, 2012
It's a good thing I read the plot summary before watching this one, because I had a hard time following the plot (especially the flashbacks). It was also difficult for me to understand her attraction to this guy -- the fact they seemed to fall instantly for each other and her deep devotion to him despite his endless petty jealousy.
January 10, 2012
So glad that affair ended:(
½ January 8, 2012
Largely faithful to the book although failing to explore the spiritual theme in as great a depth. The casting and the period detail - in sets and costumes - are both excellent.
September 5, 2011
I FELT LIKE I HAD WASTED MY TIME AFTER I WATCED IT. THE LOVE SCENES LOOKED ALMOST TOO REAL
!!!
July 30, 2011
THE END OF THE AFFAIR (1999)
July 18, 2011
A generally dreary, religiously conceited piece of "romantic" drama. The characters that should have had very much dynamic (Henry, Mr. Parkis, Father Smythe - basically everyone besides the main characters) did not even have an adequate amount of lines or impact on the story. It just felt like everybody could do whatever they wanted when they wanted and the only thing stopping them was the scant pity they had for a few other people. Not including Sarah's husband.
July 18, 2011
a film by Jordan IS always a film by Jordan and of course Ralph Fiennes, Julianne Moore, Stephen Rea, Ian Hart...
July 10, 2011
Right love at the wrong time.
June 25, 2011
Quite turgid but well acted adaption of the Graham Greene classic.
½ June 15, 2011
The story is sad but it was difficult to feel sorry for Sara Miles (Julianne More) since she is so self-absorbed and (as she described) weak....weak in spirit and weak in character. I always love Ralph Fiennes and seeing fellow Harry Potter alums, Jason Isaacs and Ian Hart, was a treat; but I must admit Stephen Rea stole the show for me. His performance was understated but great and charming....loved it! Overall, the ensemble was cool and their performance alright but the whole movie could have been told better.
½ May 22, 2011
Finely acted romantic drama with a couple of great performances and some really lovely cinematography.
May 3, 2011
When it reaches the ending I find it is totally beautiful and also pro-God which adds some light to the story.
April 13, 2011
Can't stand either of the 2 leads, but having read about the theological aspects I was drawn to watch this. A beautiful movie, this stands up as a love story, yet is also a very moral tale in its own right, and pulls everything together in a very honest way. This had the potential to be a huge melodramatic bomb, but was actually so sensitively done it was pretty near perfect, and this is predominantly due to the amazing performances by the fine cast. Hugely sad (Tree - I wouldn't recommend it for you!) and focussed solidly on jealousy and guilt (2 very destructive emotions) this is a romance for those people who don't always need the light relief of a cinematic happy ending.
½ April 8, 2011
It's long, loaded with emotions and the timeline jumps around frantically. Fiennes and Moore give it their all, and the love affair between the two is convincing.
March 12, 2011
The End of the Affair is a film that should be watched for Julianne Moore and sadly little else. Neil Jordan's adaptation of Graham Greene's fifties novel is unfortunately stoic, lacking in the emotion required for the audience to really invest in this tragic World War 2 love story.

Ralph Fiennes stars as novelist Maurice Bendrix who hires a private detective to spy on his former mistress Sarah Miles (Julianne Moore), following a chance meeting with her husband. The film then slowly fills us in on their once rampant affair, and contrasts it to their current situation, as secrets that had been carefully buried finally come to the fore in rather tragic circumstances. Pretty standard stuff, you might be thinking, and it is, however this is not the heartfelt period piece that Jordan was clearly aiming for. Regrettably he misses the mark, creating a film that initially feels very much like a quality drama, but soon begins to reveal its cracks and myriad problems.

The biggest of these problems is the way the story is told. I have no issue with the movie using flashbacks in its revealing of the characters' passionate pasts, but here they are used to tell the same story from two different perspectives. Though the final outcome changes, there is so much unnecessary repetition that it just appears lazy filmmaking, using the exact same scenes twice with a different narration. Add to this the idea that the characters are not as engaging as the film obviously thinks, and the effect of this whole exercise is wasted.

Thankfully some enjoyment can be garnered from the always reliable Moore. Her Oscar-nominated performance is easily one of the film's best aspects, as she convinces the viewer in her portrayal of a lovelorn Englishwoman stifled by repressed Catholic guilt and a joyless marriage. Honestly I could watch this woman all day, and this is exactly the type of role that she plays with such impressive ease. Opposite her Ralph Fiennes is watchable but fails to create much of a spark with his on-screen lover, while fellow Harry Potter alumni Jason Isaacs and Ian Hart also appear.

At the end of the day this isn't exactly a bad film, and from what I gather, it's a relatively faithful adaptation of the novel it is based upon. However while watching it's very difficult not to notice the missed opportunities and utter lack of passion in what is supposed to be a film based around a wildly sexual love affair. For this reason it ultimately fails in its purpose despite Moore's best efforts and a strong aesthetic.
February 2, 2011
nominated for best picture at the golden globes
½ January 19, 2011
the dull and boring affair..............
January 11, 2011
Subtle and excellent
January 4, 2011
I stumbled upon this on tv late Sunday night and it turned out to be a pretty decent movie.