The Crossing - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Crossing Reviews

December 17, 2013
A great look at one of the most famous battles of the Revolutionary War. My biggest complaint is that it should have been a real movie and not a made for tv special. Some of the action scenes are let down by this budget.
October 19, 2013
During the Revolutionary war, George Washington wants to cross an icy cold river to defeat the enemy. Will the enemy find out about the ambush before the crossing? Or will his own men be against going through with this dangerous mission? It's a made for television movie-it's ok. But why cast Daniels as Washington??? Throughout the feature I forgot he was playing Washington.
September 24, 2013
Awesome film about the revolutionary war
December 9, 2012
A pretty well done film about the most important battle during the America War for Independence, but Jeff Bridges as George Washington is the worst casting choice.
September 23, 2012
as i've known daniels only in Dumb and dumber, my favorite subject in school is history, he does a suprisingly awesome job portraying the serious role of George Washington in this war movie
September 13, 2012
A well executed docudrama, and apparently a slightly controversial look at George Washington. Jeff Daniels (George Washington) not only gives a really good performance here, he even looks very much like how I would picture the man. The authenticity of the costumes, and battle movements, also add to the appeal of this film. Students of military history should find this very interesting.
March 10, 2012
it was based on a true story and it was thrilling and touching
November 21, 2010
A realistic view of war and Washington's character
August 10, 2010
aside from having some serious historical innaccuracies it just seemed a little low budget. The historical errors could have been overlooked if the spirit of the event had been accurate but even in that i was disappointed.
February 27, 2010
A run of the mill television movie... the saving grace is that the actors do quite well, even Daniels as George Washington, although 99.9% of their dialogue is exposition. You can read about this entire battle in a book in less than fifteen minutes but the film does do a pretty nice job of portraying the events. Some minor historical details were left out, most noticeably: major hail and snow helped prevent the Continental Army from being spotted as they marched on Trenton, the Hessians counterattacked twice and then retreated into an apple orchard (not a tiny plow field the size of my garage), and American losses were not zero as stated in the film but estimated at 8 killed and 4 wounded. For my taste, the costumes were too clean for soldiers who had been fighting in desperate conditions and on the run for months (more like they had just arrived from the dry cleaners). Also, the music was clearly second-rate and completely noticeable in a bad way. If you're a Revolutionary War fan or high school student studying this era you might find this film interesting, otherwise I'd skip The Crossing and watch much more informative documentaries on the subject such as PBS's Liberty!: The American Revolution or The History Channel Presents: The Revolution.
February 22, 2010
September 27, 2009
This plays out more like an interesting documentary rather than a glamourised version of history. Jeff Daniels is surprisingly good in such a serious role.
½ March 8, 2009
This was a very, very well done Revolutionary War film. One of the better films. Jeff Daniels makes a very good George Washington. It's a little long but you get a very good idea on the importance of the 1st successful battles by the Americans as well as better idea of the conditions of the soldiers of the Colonial Army.
December 19, 2008
it was actully a okay movie (saw in school
August 9, 2008
watched it for socail studies. gotta luv mr. B.
½ July 5, 2006
One of the best films I've seen on the American Revolution. It took the founding fathers and made them human. I thought Jeff Daniels did excellent job portraying George Washington as a man and a general.
November 23, 2005
GW and company F**KED those Hessians up!! :)