Miss Julie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Miss Julie Reviews

March 14, 2016
This film was just in english with no subtitles. Didn't get squat of what they said. Looks and sounds like theatre. The whole thing does not seem to make much sense and watched in accelerate in case something happens. Nothing did.
½ April 10, 2014
Thursday, April 10, 2014

(1999) Miss Julie
PERIOD PIECE DRAMA

Adapted from the very talky play of the same name by August Strindberg. It's mainly a three actors performance centering much of it down on the kitchen with Miss Julie(Saffron Burrows) involvement with a commoner, Jean(Peter Mullan) after a call off her recent engagement, even though he's already engaged to the head cook, Christine(Maria Doyle Kennedy) he usually works with. Talky and boring and doesn't end very well.

1 star out of 4
November 14, 2012
burrows reminded me of a young judy davis & director mike figgis (leaving las vegas) manages to pull off a period pic that feels modern maybe its cos he uses split/multiple screens.
½ September 16, 2012
not my kind of movie. It has two very conflicted characters and they got on my nerves. mostly because they are both extremely selfish. very well acted though.
November 14, 2011
No matter how cute Saffron is, this movie is not worth the watch. I don't find it believable that this one dimensional prissy, stuck up girl could fall for an ugly, short, balding and rude f&*ker.. it's really, really not a story worth telling.
½ December 1, 2010
A brutal look at the inequalities between men and women and between members of the upper and lower classes. The two main characters, Miss Julie (Saffron Burrows), the aristocratic daughter of the manor, and her father's footman, Jean (Peter Mullan), seem bent on daring the other to cross those lines that separate them normally and venture into forbidden territory. The acting is superb and the cinematographer uses extreme close-ups to good effect, but the production suffers from an intermittently inaudible sound track, making the dialog often difficult to decipher. Is it love, hate, or just unbridled lust that drives these two to play at their game? Unfortunately, the ending seemed jarring given the strength of the passions evoked and that spoiled an otherwise fine effort for this viewer.
March 31, 2010
A story you've probably never heard of performed masterfully by actors you've probably never heard of.
½ March 14, 2010
Have never seen the play, so I watched this film partly out of curiosity. Miss Julie is a tragic story about the power struggle between the classes, and between men and women. Peter Mullan's multi-dimensional portrayal of the Count's footman was excellent. Saffron Burrows looks stunning and gorgeous as always, but her performance was somewhat uneven, albeit with some real moments of brilliance. It's telling that Miss Julie and her mother are referred to as "mad", and that they also believe in equality between men and women, quite a novelty in 1894 Sweden. Loved the costumes and the specific sense of time and place. The story is an excellent discourse on the complicated and layered issues of ambitious people whose freedom is hampered by their station and gender.
February 24, 2010
Found this movie completely boring. The lighting was off and made it seem more art house. The score drove me nuts. It took away from the movie because it was louder than the actors and seemed like it was borrowed off of "Psycho" part 17. One thing I did love was the costuming. Miss Julie's dress is exquisite - very detailed. If you are not a fan of the stage, this movie is not for you. It is like watching theater.
September 19, 2009
Why did this movie not get any Oscar ?!?!? Or any other prices?
Absolutely brilliant screen adaptation of a play by August Strindberg in English. Peter Mullan and Saffron Burrows acting is electrifying and captivating from the first scene to the last. I liked the interesting camerawork and modernization of the play by Director Mike Figgis (Leaving Las Vegas). This is an overwhelming intellectual and emotional drama and not for those seeking a lighthearted amusement. For me, definitely a keeper!
May 20, 2009
Heavyweight stuff but well worth the concentration required. Gets more and more absorbing.
February 1, 2009
Theatre History 2 had never been this fun we keep on watching movies and relate it to economic and social conditions of the time. I've read Miss Julie and I was biased because of Strindberg's Egotistically sublime interpretation of this misogynists place. Watching on film, there is definitely a plain departure because the scenes are more straightforward and more modern than it should. I mean the word "fuck" is not in the script and the sex scene was not scene on stage of course. Because it is a film the director has more privilege to make this more from the notion of naturalism. Every minute detail is done, which is what every naturalistic or realistic should. In a way, i guess strindberg would be happy with those close to reality version of his play. The play talks about the signs of its times. Industrialization, equality, human rights, the decay of the burgeousies and i guess the darwinian struggle to survive whether it be gender or class.
½ August 15, 2008
THID IS THE WORST MOVIE EVER!!!!!
½ June 25, 2008
Save for some hard-bitten interaction in the middle of this adapted play, it really should have stayed on the stage as it is mostly a dull affair despite the decent acting. None of the characters are particularly likeable either.
iLeo
June 25, 2008
An interesting movie.
April 15, 2008
January 22, 2008
Breathtaking. Literally.
December 9, 2007
While powerful, the film offered nothing new cinematically, and is easily forgettable. Leave the movie, see/read the play...
½ November 16, 2007
This is a play for the stage really, not suited to the screen.
November 15, 2007
good personality and work done