House on Haunted Hill - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

House on Haunted Hill Reviews

July 16, 2016
While enjoyable and a great premise, this movie is very noisy, and ruined with a cartoon ending.
July 15, 2016
Cheesy as hell,boring,and just not scary remake of the timeless classic.
July 6, 2016
Boring, Predictable, Bot scary, Only good thing was the story, It could of been interesting if done right but it wasn't.
½ May 21, 2016
I've seen a lot of bad films in my life, but this one is up there. It's not a "so bad it's good" fun movie. It's an abomination. It's nonsensical plot angered me. It was one of the most confusing and asinine plots I've ever watched. The poor acting was unwatchable and the editing was atrocious. The film jumps from scene to scene in a seemingly random order. The special effects were bad for 1999. They would've been bad for 1899. Avoid this film at all costs. It's not fun bad, it's painful bad.
April 25, 2016
Why the bad ratings?..A great movie!
½ November 7, 2015
ok grafics were bad tho
November 1, 2015
No, it's not really groundbreaking, but as a child this movie was creepy to me and I have fond memories of it. The production design and sets are stellar and you have to love Geofferey Rush as Vincent Price and Famke Jannsen as his treacherous wife. This movie's basic creep vibe has been very formative for me. So while it's not likely an instant classic to be remembered for centuries to come...it's far from all bad.
½ June 19, 2015
Devoid of any thought, feeling, or scares. This remake is lackluster to say the least, with horrid acting, and just a remake in name only.
May 30, 2015
Ok Eval en looked nice
½ May 24, 2015
Slightly better than the remade The Haunting but still very bad.
April 28, 2015
Hokey and stupid and the special effects haven't aged well, but if you put your brain in neutral there is some fun to be had
March 18, 2015
Intense and scary throughout, creepy and stylish mind-blower.
February 16, 2015
starts on a good note. I was actually a bit frightened at dead people showing up only on video, and the strange montages and speed up effects worked well. but once the black gooey CGI started up, I lost interest. it became some mysterious dark force at work and who cares (like party two of It). it wasn't scary.
the acting is cheesy/campy but works for the film.
there are some points at which one must suspend belief if they care about good writing.
½ January 21, 2015
How dare you not the rate the gruesome dismemberings of an all-star cast certified fresh? You people were raised wrong.
December 2, 2014
Geoffrey Rush's Performance as Vincent Price as Steven Price is incredible, and any horror movie with Jeffrey Combs gets bonus points.
November 30, 2014
Good movie. House on Haunted Hill is another formulaic entry into the haunted house remake genre, but it's still an entertaining one. It's bloody, fast-paced, stylish, and very entertaining. While it's not chock-full of jump scares, it's got a general creepy atmosphere, and some disturbing imagery. The performances are pretty generic for the characters and genre, the best coming from Rush as the eccentric billionaire and Combs as the crazed ghost doctor.
½ November 24, 2014
B- = Slightly Above Average
November 22, 2014
Really not a bad little horror film. The film features many of the common horror cliches but it's based under unique circumstances. 7 people are offered 1 million dollars if they can make it through the night at a legendary horror house. What ensues are some clever visual effects, some decent scares, and a fun little story of dread. There are common cliches as I mentioned before but what makes the movie decent is the premise, it's a little outside the box. The movie is based on a previous movie of the same name which I haven't seen. Again nothing too fresh and truly scary, but interesting enough to keep my attention. Decent cast also.
½ October 27, 2014
The climactic house-versus-humans scenes were so ludicrous that I half expected Kattan to revert to his Mr. Peepers persona from SNL and start battling the evil inkblot with spat-out chunks of apple.
½ October 24, 2014
Oh no, where do I begin with this disaster? Taking the original setting and turning the whimsical mystery with no scare-factor into a real horror movie is a valid reason to do a remake. Although with this much divergence, it would be wise for them distance itself from the 1959 classic with a different name. This time the random guests have the challenge to say in a decommissioned asylum. The fact that a ghost of an evil doctor who performed horrible experiments on his patients is a scary concept. In a bad move, the selected focus is more on the cursed facility itself and not enough on the doctor's ghost. It is dripping with cheesy 90s scary teen movie clichs, in all the worst ways. Early to midway through the movie completely stops making sense, as a rigged spooky game turns into a real ghost story. Meaningless kill scenes just fill the minutes before the stupid and disconnected finish that makes even less sense. With the exception of Geoffrey Rush, the acting is lame. The dysfunctional husband wife relationship is supposed to be fun, but it is not; it is just distracting. It attempts to slap the same-old title on it while completely failing to live up to the name. That is particularly bad considering the original is no masterpiece, in its own right.