House on Haunted Hill - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

House on Haunted Hill Reviews

March 18, 2015
Intense and scary throughout, creepy and stylish mind-blower.
February 16, 2015
starts on a good note. I was actually a bit frightened at dead people showing up only on video, and the strange montages and speed up effects worked well. but once the black gooey CGI started up, I lost interest. it became some mysterious dark force at work and who cares (like party two of It). it wasn't scary.
the acting is cheesy/campy but works for the film.
there are some points at which one must suspend belief if they care about good writing.
½ January 21, 2015
How dare you not the rate the gruesome dismemberings of an all-star cast certified fresh? You people were raised wrong.
December 2, 2014
Geoffrey Rush's Performance as Vincent Price as Steven Price is incredible, and any horror movie with Jeffrey Combs gets bonus points.
November 30, 2014
Good movie. House on Haunted Hill is another formulaic entry into the haunted house remake genre, but it's still an entertaining one. It's bloody, fast-paced, stylish, and very entertaining. While it's not chock-full of jump scares, it's got a general creepy atmosphere, and some disturbing imagery. The performances are pretty generic for the characters and genre, the best coming from Rush as the eccentric billionaire and Combs as the crazed ghost doctor.
½ November 24, 2014
B- = Slightly Above Average
November 22, 2014
Really not a bad little horror film. The film features many of the common horror cliches but it's based under unique circumstances. 7 people are offered 1 million dollars if they can make it through the night at a legendary horror house. What ensues are some clever visual effects, some decent scares, and a fun little story of dread. There are common cliches as I mentioned before but what makes the movie decent is the premise, it's a little outside the box. The movie is based on a previous movie of the same name which I haven't seen. Again nothing too fresh and truly scary, but interesting enough to keep my attention. Decent cast also.
½ October 27, 2014
The climactic house-versus-humans scenes were so ludicrous that I half expected Kattan to revert to his Mr. Peepers persona from SNL and start battling the evil inkblot with spat-out chunks of apple.
½ October 24, 2014
Oh no, where do I begin with this disaster? Taking the original setting and turning the whimsical mystery with no scare-factor into a real horror movie is a valid reason to do a remake. Although with this much divergence, it would be wise for them distance itself from the 1959 classic with a different name. This time the random guests have the challenge to say in a decommissioned asylum. The fact that a ghost of an evil doctor who performed horrible experiments on his patients is a scary concept. In a bad move, the selected focus is more on the cursed facility itself and not enough on the doctor's ghost. It is dripping with cheesy 90s scary teen movie clichs, in all the worst ways. Early to midway through the movie completely stops making sense, as a rigged spooky game turns into a real ghost story. Meaningless kill scenes just fill the minutes before the stupid and disconnected finish that makes even less sense. With the exception of Geoffrey Rush, the acting is lame. The dysfunctional husband wife relationship is supposed to be fun, but it is not; it is just distracting. It attempts to slap the same-old title on it while completely failing to live up to the name. That is particularly bad considering the original is no masterpiece, in its own right.
October 18, 2014
Yeah it's not good, but who cares? This is one of the most perfect Halloween movies ever. I recently watched this movie after several years, and I loved it for a number of reasons. As a filmmaker and an admirer of the brilliant William Castle original from 1959, this film is a travesty. But as a lover of gleefully self-aware horror flicks, this is like a dream come true. I also have to say that in many instances the movie has this kind of Jeunet-esque visual grace, I apologize if that sounded horribly pretentious or anything, but it really does. A solid entertainment that isn't remotely scary, but has this kind of gleeful Halloween vibe mixed with a purely 90's soundtrack and cast. This movie is so much fun!
September 27, 2014
Pas un très bon film, mais depuis sa sortie, je prends plaisir à le réécouter à l'occasion malgré l'histoire et le jeu moyen des acteurs et l'absence de véritables moments d'horreur. La nostalgie y est surement pour beaucoup dans ce cas. La version originale des années 50 est très interessante!
August 17, 2014
Gory, scary and an excellent horror!
July 11, 2014
House on Haunted Hill pretty much sums up what it was like living in the late 90s. Bad special effects, animation that looks like it was crapped out of a Tool video, fun heavy metal 80s covers, Billy Madison's hot third grade teacher, Chris Kattan... Love every second of it.
July 3, 2014
Update to a poor classic movie fails to surpass it even with a good cast
July 1, 2014
I've watched this and it doesn't show enough ghosts or scares in my opinion.
June 4, 2014
Good plot, that should have been executed so much better. It was slightly creepy at times, but I always find stories based on old pyschiatric hospitals a bit creepy. Other than that it's not particularly memorable. None of the characters are likeable and they are all stereotypes who spend most of the film spouting one liners to emphasise their stereotype and how disgruntled they are about the inconvenience of being stuck in a haunted house.
½ May 11, 2014
after watching the original prior to this movie I have to question all of the regress that has happened within the horror movie genre over the past half century
April 11, 2014
I actually kind of enjoyed this one. I thought it was fairly well made. Had some interesting ideas and cool camera work.
February 26, 2014
Ranging from mildly entertaining in a visceral sense and eyebrow raisingly silly, this remake comes off as unmemorable and unnecessary.
½ February 15, 2014
"House on Haunted Hill" is very inconsistent. In one hand, the premise is good, the twists are surprising, Rush is excellent, and it was very refreshing to see how much work was put into the film. On the other hand, however, the film didn't scare, the dialogue was unrealistic, and the final twenty minutes seemed like the director had given up and decided to depend the rest on visual effects. All in all, sort of a textbook horror flick; not great, but not terrible.