The End of the Affair - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The End of the Affair Reviews

March 29, 2015
good ve3rswion of this but I also like the 1999 version too.
July 11, 2014
140711: Had the opportunity; but passed.
February 25, 2012
Thought provoking and honest.
August 18, 2009
a more contemplative version than the '99 version. i was somewhat distracted by kerr since i kept expecting yul brynner to show up.
½ August 16, 2009
Maurice Bendrix (Van Johnson) is discharged from the U.S. army after being wounded in combat. He resumes his pre-war "job" as a writer and decides to stay on in London to write about the unsung heroes of the British homefront - the civil servants. While doing research for his book, Bendrix meets british beaureaucrat Henry Miles (Peter Cushing) at a party. Miles goes on to encourage Bendrix to interview his wife, Sarah (Deborah Kerr) as a source of information. What starts off as a professional relationship soon turns into something a bit more personal as Bendrix and Sarah find themselves very much attracted to each other. "Research" soon becomes a cover for their romantic trysts...

What is interesting about this film is that it goes beyond what could have been the usual love-triangle kind of drama only to delve into something a bit more philosophical...touching on issues of love, jealousy, commitment, faith and religion.

I think Deborah Kerr's character is the most interesting here. When a german V-1 "buzz bomb" explodes near Bendrix's apartment, she believes Bendrix to be dead. The "faithless" Sarah finds herself begging God for a miracle. She promises to end her "sinful" affair with Bendrix if only God would bring him back to life. Well, guess what..."God works in mysterious ways" - or so they say...and so begins Sarah's psychological dilemma with faith and God. Bendrix, meanwhile is perplexed with Sarah's change of character...and so does her husband Henry - who suspects, but does not want to believe that Sarah is having an affair.

I liked John Mills here too. He plays a private investigator hired by the very jealous Bendrix to follow and report on Sarah - who is seemingly "seeing" somebody else...

Although I still prefer David Lean's A BRIEF ENCOUNTER...THE END OF THE AFFAIR at the least touches upon some unexpected, yet very interesting themes...

7.5 / 10
½ January 8, 2009
Great flick, although Deborah Kerr seems to end up mangled, paralyzed or dead too often in most of her films, lol. I guess it's the drama factor. Great acting. I love the struggle and inner turmoil these characters endure.
November 17, 2008
This is one of my favorite books and I was extremely disappointed in the flm version with Julianne Moore and Ralph Fiennes. That version seemed to be more about the affair itself than the main character's struggle to understand love and faith. This version comes much closer to depicting the complexities of the novel. It is rather melodramatic (especially the music), but that's not suprising for a movie from the 1950s.
September 14, 2008
good stuff better than the remake
September 10, 2008
You can't go wrong with Deborah Kerr in a movie based on a Graham Greene novel. I like parts of this adaptation much better than the more recent one. Still one of my favorite books. This one handles the faith element much better than the new one (not surprising).
July 16, 2008
nominated for best foreign film by NBR
½ June 30, 2008
A very dramatic performance by Deborah Kerr true to the style of film in the 50's. Liked this one alot!
June 4, 2008
This movie made me cry. It's a great chic-flic. ;)
½ March 28, 2008
I prefer this version a 1000 times more than the 1999 movie. Book adaptations were much better in the 50' and 60s than nowadays; less cuts, more dialogue, less affectation, more truthfulness in any sense.
February 15, 2008
Love this movie soooooo much!
½ January 19, 2008
Excellent acting-Van Johnson and Deborah Kerr.
December 29, 2007
This may be a very personal review but I truly disliked Van Johnson's character. It's a great story, very well played and still... I can't help despising this man.
July 5, 2007
really not interested
December 2, 2006
The newer version is Much, Much better!!
October 29, 2006
I loved the book, so to see it in action would be amazing...