High Fidelity - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

High Fidelity Reviews

½ December 7, 2015
John Cusack at his finest! Great writing...funny and touching, witty and clever. Very well done; Jack Black steals almost every scene.
November 12, 2015
With arguably Jack Black's and John Cusack's best performance, this Stephen Frears movie shows a view into love, sadness, depression and even some music in this great film.
November 10, 2015
Es una comedia romántica hecha para el público gringo y muy poco latinoamericano pues en alguno casos podría parecer aburrida por la falta de conocimientos de música o de los músicos en cuestión. En fin, en general es una trama interesante, una narrativa que rompe con el cuarto muro todo el transcurso de la película, me imagino que el libro del que la basaron debe estar narrado igual. Y es un desfile de celebridades, un casting muy interesante. Bonito desenlace y risas. Jack Black sabe cantar y no luce tan sobreactuado, tal vez por la batuta de John Cusack y el director Stephen Frears.
En fin, es una buena obra a secas con una trama muy simplona, al puro estilo gringo de acostones y revolcones, pero a fin de cuentas usa una narrativa interesante que a cualquier escritor le gustaría usar y es lo que realmente la hace buena y al mismo tiempo aburrida a otros ratos, no así, interesante. Algo muy raro con sentimientos encontrados al verla.
½ October 27, 2015
Mixing together a break up drama, with "purist" record-shop entusiasts. John Cusack is going through his ex-girlfriends to acknowledge his faults in relationships. The drama part itself is not the greatest part, but when Cusack hangs out in his record-store with the witty Jack Black, listening to rare stuff which pushes the genuine border of this film to another level.
October 25, 2015
¿Por qué habré tardado tanto en vez Alta fidelidad? Hala, pues otra laguna cultural solventada.
½ October 18, 2015
Great Movie, Messed Up Character!

It's a great movie! Lots of great music and great characters. But, it is pretty difficult to sympathize with John Cusack's character. He is definitely self-centered and thoroughly self absorbed. Cusack's character mellows enough by the ending to make him certainly more tolerable than he was at the beginning.

But, everything else works great. The script is by four screenwriters, including Cusack. Regardless, it all clicks, which you wouldn't expect from a screen writing-by-committee production.

The big discovery in this film was Jack Black. And, it's great to see what Black was like when he was full of boundless energy, instead of his more-subdued self today. The rest of the cast is very good too!

The original novel was based in England, and was transplanted to Chicago for the film. It works well, and you have to love the talk of vinyl between all the characters, especially since vinyl is currently making the resurgence it is.

Recommended for those who love a good movie, and can put up with Cusack's character while he grows up during the film!

********* (9 Out of 10 Stars)
½ October 6, 2015
An exceptionally directed romantic-comedy which stands high and proud within the genre. John Cusack is Rob Gordon, a man whose most recent girlfriend, Laura, has just left him. The story starts off with Rob breaking the fourth wall, a concept that is very well executed throughout the film, and telling the audience about his "Top Five" worst breakups and how Laura does not cut it. The film always comes back around to this concept of having a "Top Five" for various opinionated matters, which plays out smoothly until the end. The film has a very "Woody Allen-esque" mannerism that it carries throughout, being fun and quirky and at the same time feeling very real in a sense. This is no doubt one of the greatest romantic-comedies of all time.
September 15, 2015
One of the best adaptations of a novel since Trainspotting.

Jack Black is at his best in this film!
September 11, 2015
High Fidelity has the look of an 8-track and the mind of an album cover. Meaning, it's dated and absolutely memorable, all at the exact same time. I saw John Cusack channeling Woody Allen the entire time, complete with talking straight to the audience. Like Allen's characters, he is pseudo-intellectual, has trouble with staying with women, and is insufferably selfish. But nonetheless, Cusack brings him to life, in an interesting, updated way. The music is great, but I felt like it didn't attribute to how good the film was. The film would've been just as good with no music at all. What strays me from loving this film is that any scene, with the girlfriend Laura, is just boring. She's that same cookie-cutter, innocent little heart-string puller that you see in EVERY romantic comedy. The final 30 minutes focus on her, and I kind of tuned out the movie at that point. Otherwise, the movie succeeded very well as a standard film narrative. If someone came up with this script in my film classes, the professors would eat it up.
September 6, 2015
It was really nice of John Cusack to play me in a film.
September 4, 2015
Jack Black's scene is one of the most emotionally satisfying on screen musical numbers that I have ever witnessed :D
September 1, 2015
WOW! this movie is so freaking good! High Fidelity is definitely another one of my all-time favorite films. It's funny, romantic, honest, and has a great soundtrack. Love the wry humor, the wonderful performances by the ensemble cast, and it tells such an engaging and absorbing story about heartbreaks and love. I adore High Fidelity.
August 21, 2015
High Fidelity is a novel by British author Nick Hornby, first published in 1995. It has sold over a million copies and was later adapted into a feature film in 2000 and a Broadway musical in 2006. In 2003, the novel was listed on the BBC's survey The Big Read. "High Fidelity" is directed by English film director, Stephen Frears. The cast includes John Cusack, Jack Black, and Lisa Bonet.

Rob Gordon (Cusack) is an intense music-lover. As a school dropout, Rob doesn't have many career choices, so he owns his own record store. Dick (Louiso) and Barry (Black), are Rob's co-workers. Dick is a calm, awkward, and boring sort of character, while Barry is a crazy hot head. All three guys love music, and consider themselves experts on all things musical. During his life, Rob has struggled to keep a girlfriend. Admittedly, it's easily to understand why. Basically, Rob's an extreme asshole, and he doesn't understand women at all. After his most recent breakup with Laura (Iben Hjejle), Rob sets out to find out why he can't seem to keep a solid relationship.

High Fidelity is quite possibly one of the best films I've ever seen. First off, the films lead played by Cusack is a brilliant character. He's your average guy with female problems. He's a high school dropout and music and film enthusiast. He's one of those guys you can really relate to, either because you are one of those guys, or you definitely know a guy like Rob. Cusack's performance is utterly brilliant. He often turns to the camera to narrate his life and give commentary on a particular situation, It's a wonderful technique that works really well. Aside from Cusack, Jack Black really stands out. He shines in his small role, bringing some great comedy into the film.

The film mostly centers around Rob's relationship issues. He examines each relationship he's ever been in, trying to figure out what went wrong so he can correct his current predicament. This is one of those films that makes you think about life and relationships. It reminds me very much of the Coen's cult classic, The Big Lebowski. It's about a lowlife guy with allot of baggage. When Rob finally understands he's been chasing a fantasy, he realizes what a real relationship is actually supposed to be like.

The screenplay for the film is written by D. V. DeVincentis, Scott Rosenberg, Steve Pink, and the star of the film, John Cusack. It's a brilliant script with great characters, edgy dialogue, and fantastic comedy. Director Stephen Frears does a wonderful job directing the film and the actors. He's known for his direction of other popular films, including; My Beautiful Laundrette, Dangerous Liaisons, The Queen, and most recently, the brilliant British drama and comedy, Philomena. Finally, the wonderful cinematography. The film is shot by Seamus McGarvey, who has received a few Academy Award nominations for his work on Joe Wright's 2007 WWI drama, Atonement. He's shot several notable films including; We Need to Talk About Kevin, The Avengers, Godzilla (2014), and Fifty Shades of Grey. Admittedly, his cinematography on Fifty Shades of Grey was impressive, even if the film was shit.

"High Fidelity" is one of those films that just rocks in every way. It's just a hair away from being a cult classic-in my opinion. Cusack gives a memorable performance, the script is superb, and the soundtrack is great. It's one of those films that actually has substance at it's heart. Amidst the great comedy, classic music, and vinyl records is a film about life.
½ August 20, 2015
A smart, funny, and obsessive ode to exes and pop music, "High Fidelity" is severely underrated.
½ August 16, 2015
"When you think yourself as nothing, then something important will begin" ? Rajesh Nanoo
½ August 12, 2015
I'm a sucker for movies that perfectly blend together cinema and music, so naturally when I found what this movie is all about I couldn't resist falling for it. High Fidelity is a story about moving on, taking the time to think back on what and who you've wronged and what can you do about it. The story follows Rob Gordon (Cusack) and how he views his past 5 worst breakups and reflects on if there is something wrong with him and just doesn't understand himself in the least (or doesn't know what he wants). The story is a lot more clever and fun than I imagined. It follows a distinct path on where it wants to go and what the audience sometimes doesn't expect through comedy and good writing. There's a scene where Rob realizes that Laura is one of the worst breakups through describing his other relationships and how he sees how important she was to him. I didn't expect that in the least because of the format it went in. John Cusack was fantastic as the lead because of him being a character and not an actor playing a character. He plays kind of a smug egotistical guy who has a good heart but doesn't always follow it. He hadn't learned much over the years about dating and how to treat the women he is with, but after revisiting the past women he realizes what he's been doing wrong. Throughout the film I couldn't help but feel bad for Rob because even though he was kind of a jerk he just wants to fix himself. This movie is a really good showcase for character development because the whole movie is us learning about this guy and what he is gaining from reliving his past and what he is experiencing now. The whole cast was really memorable and fun especially Jack Black playing a total butt hole but continuously hilarious. The thing that kept me from totally loving this film is that 10 minutes near the end it got a bit off track from where I wanted it to go like with the interviewer and it just felt like "oh okay that happened". It was a learning moment for Rob to stay faithful but it was just a weird point in the movie to have that scene. Despite that one small flaw, High Fidelity is a fantastic film that I have never seen anything like. I love the characters, quirky narration, the smart writing, and the music! A-
August 9, 2015
I forgot how good this movie was.
July 30, 2015
Fun, groovy, great music.
July 28, 2015
have a insight of a typical man