High Fidelity - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

High Fidelity Reviews

June 14, 2016
I can't think of a movie that sucked me in as much as this one did in the first 5 minutes. John Cusack's Rob Gordon is one of the most relatable characters I think I've ever seen on screen and he's funny too. Now this film isn't laugh on the floor hilarious, it's got a bit of a different sense of humour that not everyone will get. If the movie was like it's first 30 minutes, it would have gotten a 5/5 no problem. Unfortunately the film doesn't stand up to the first 30 minutes. But then again, I've felt that way about a bunch of films and after re-watching them, I've liked even more so who knows. Jack Black plays... Jack Black and has some great moments and every other cast has some time to shine. Some strange appearances from Tim Robbins and Catherine Zeta-Jones but they also have memorable parts. Overall, this is one of John Cusack's better films. Definitley worth a watch!
June 1, 2016
One of my top 5 movies
½ May 14, 2016
An excellent black comedy powered by a good soundtrack and a great cast.
April 24, 2016
A killer story and soundtrack!
½ April 20, 2016
A bit like the book this film is incredibly insightful, feels incredibly true but doesn't really make you warm to or care about anyone involved. Cusack is perfect in the talking to camera role and Black does his best to try and offer some much needed light relief. As I say though you get to the end, just like in the book and think 'I don't really like you, I don't care if you're happy or not'.
March 28, 2016
We meet a man in the midst of a difficult and emotional breakup played by John Cusack. He is self-destructive, sarcastic and too cool to care, which makes it hard for him to process and understand his romantic failures. He mopes around the record store he owns with his fellow music enthusiasts. With his recent breakup, he begins reviewing his past failed relationships going back to junior high. Cusack talks directly to the camera and walks the viewer through a series of flashbacks. Seeking closure and self-reflection, he looks each of these women up to ask why their previous relationship ended. It has a compelling delivery of the story that is personal and amusing at the same time. Humor helps make the main character's skepticism and insecurity go down easier. Cusack's charismatic personality and range of emotions carry the movie. Because the main character loves music, the story involves discussions about music throughout the movie. Any viewer that shares his love of classic-rock albums and vinyl records will love these tangents and musical analogies. The music is a devise to break the tension and builds characters that are more complete. Despite the moping from the breakup situation, it never weighs down too much. There is a satisfying character transformation takes place. A jerk who blames his problems on others matures to appreciate woman and his friends more completely for who they are.
March 28, 2016
Unlike most, I found this unfocused, uninteresting, and hated almost all of the characters.
½ March 24, 2016
Highly unlikeable character and sexist film. He's allowed to sleep with other people and she's not?!
½ February 14, 2016
So good. I have to watch it every time it's on. Cusack always delivers. Great supporting cast, fun ending.
½ February 5, 2016
Pretty enjoyable little journey. The music is great too!
½ January 20, 2016
Just say no. This is just the kind of schlock that makes me hate John Cusack.
January 14, 2016
One of my all time favorite movies. Brilliant adaptation of the Nick Hornby novel. Other than changing the location to Chicago, very true to the book.
December 13, 2015
High Fidelity is a film that has good performances, amusing interplay and an interesting premise, but there is a lot of introspective talk and the film is a little smug. The tone is a weird mix between upbeat and dreary and the connection to the music world is interesting.
½ December 7, 2015
John Cusack at his finest! Great writing...funny and touching, witty and clever. Very well done; Jack Black steals almost every scene.
November 12, 2015
With arguably Jack Black's and John Cusack's best performance, this Stephen Frears movie shows a view into love, sadness, depression and even some music in this great film.
November 10, 2015
Es una comedia romántica hecha para el público gringo y muy poco latinoamericano pues en alguno casos podría parecer aburrida por la falta de conocimientos de música o de los músicos en cuestión. En fin, en general es una trama interesante, una narrativa que rompe con el cuarto muro todo el transcurso de la película, me imagino que el libro del que la basaron debe estar narrado igual. Y es un desfile de celebridades, un casting muy interesante. Bonito desenlace y risas. Jack Black sabe cantar y no luce tan sobreactuado, tal vez por la batuta de John Cusack y el director Stephen Frears.
En fin, es una buena obra a secas con una trama muy simplona, al puro estilo gringo de acostones y revolcones, pero a fin de cuentas usa una narrativa interesante que a cualquier escritor le gustaría usar y es lo que realmente la hace buena y al mismo tiempo aburrida a otros ratos, no así, interesante. Algo muy raro con sentimientos encontrados al verla.
½ October 27, 2015
Mixing together a break up drama, with "purist" record-shop entusiasts. John Cusack is going through his ex-girlfriends to acknowledge his faults in relationships. The drama part itself is not the greatest part, but when Cusack hangs out in his record-store with the witty Jack Black, listening to rare stuff which pushes the genuine border of this film to another level.
October 25, 2015
¿Por qué habré tardado tanto en vez Alta fidelidad? Hala, pues otra laguna cultural solventada.
½ October 18, 2015
Great Movie, Messed Up Character!

It's a great movie! Lots of great music and great characters. But, it is pretty difficult to sympathize with John Cusack's character. He is definitely self-centered and thoroughly self absorbed. Cusack's character mellows enough by the ending to make him certainly more tolerable than he was at the beginning.

But, everything else works great. The script is by four screenwriters, including Cusack. Regardless, it all clicks, which you wouldn't expect from a screen writing-by-committee production.

The big discovery in this film was Jack Black. And, it's great to see what Black was like when he was full of boundless energy, instead of his more-subdued self today. The rest of the cast is very good too!

The original novel was based in England, and was transplanted to Chicago for the film. It works well, and you have to love the talk of vinyl between all the characters, especially since vinyl is currently making the resurgence it is.

Recommended for those who love a good movie, and can put up with Cusack's character while he grows up during the film!

********* (9 Out of 10 Stars)