High Fidelity - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

High Fidelity Reviews

½ August 11, 2016
Such a solid Cusack flick. Brought back great memories with my music buddies and that era.
July 17, 2016
According to everyone else this is a good movie, but I just couldn't relate. I'd give it zero stars, but Jack Black is such a show-stealer he makes it watchable.
½ July 14, 2016
Not even the great music saves this movie of being boring, uninteresting and stupid. Bad jokes, silly characters (not even Jack Black) and that ridicoulous plot makes this one of the worst romantic comedies i've seen. It was supposed to be a romantic comedy. GOD!
July 14, 2016
- Solid writing and excellent cast. I found it quite funny and was easy to watch for the 3rd time now I believe.

- I enjoyed re-watching this one. it was interesting seeing Cusack as a guy kinda lost, so he revisits his past relationships & break-ups to see what went wrong. jack black is great in this. it's funny to see he hasn't really changed even though this film is now 12yrs old. if you haven't seen this one, definitely give it a try!
July 11, 2016
Maybe the problem is that I'm not a music buff, so many of the references are lost on me, but I honestly cannot understand the affection people have for this film. The interesting structure of the breaking of the fourth wall aside, protagonist Rob is a misogynistic ass who I can't get behind, even with the supremely likable John Cusack in the role. Sure he might learn his lesson in the end, but the film wants its audience to get behind him as he plays his messed up mind games with his ex's in an attempt to prove that it was all them and not him that ended their relationships. A character study of sociopaths is one thing, but making them into a romantic hero and glorifying their horrid exploits is another, and it's something I can't get behind.
July 9, 2016
A career-best performance from John Cusack, a rock-solid soundtrack and a funny script makes High Fidelity a hidden gem from diretor Stephen Frears.
July 7, 2016
I love this movie. One of my all time favorites.
June 14, 2016
I can't think of a movie that sucked me in as much as this one did in the first 5 minutes. John Cusack's Rob Gordon is one of the most relatable characters I think I've ever seen on screen and he's funny too. Now this film isn't laugh on the floor hilarious, it's got a bit of a different sense of humour that not everyone will get. If the movie was like it's first 30 minutes, it would have gotten a 5/5 no problem. Unfortunately the film doesn't stand up to the first 30 minutes. But then again, I've felt that way about a bunch of films and after re-watching them, I've liked even more so who knows. Jack Black plays... Jack Black and has some great moments and every other cast has some time to shine. Some strange appearances from Tim Robbins and Catherine Zeta-Jones but they also have memorable parts. Overall, this is one of John Cusack's better films. Definitley worth a watch!
June 1, 2016
One of my top 5 movies
½ May 14, 2016
An excellent black comedy powered by a good soundtrack and a great cast.
April 24, 2016
A killer story and soundtrack!
½ April 20, 2016
A bit like the book this film is incredibly insightful, feels incredibly true but doesn't really make you warm to or care about anyone involved. Cusack is perfect in the talking to camera role and Black does his best to try and offer some much needed light relief. As I say though you get to the end, just like in the book and think 'I don't really like you, I don't care if you're happy or not'.
March 28, 2016
We meet a man in the midst of a difficult and emotional breakup played by John Cusack. He is self-destructive, sarcastic and too cool to care, which makes it hard for him to process and understand his romantic failures. He mopes around the record store he owns with his fellow music enthusiasts. With his recent breakup, he begins reviewing his past failed relationships going back to junior high. Cusack talks directly to the camera and walks the viewer through a series of flashbacks. Seeking closure and self-reflection, he looks each of these women up to ask why their previous relationship ended. It has a compelling delivery of the story that is personal and amusing at the same time. Humor helps make the main character's skepticism and insecurity go down easier. Cusack's charismatic personality and range of emotions carry the movie. Because the main character loves music, the story involves discussions about music throughout the movie. Any viewer that shares his love of classic-rock albums and vinyl records will love these tangents and musical analogies. The music is a devise to break the tension and builds characters that are more complete. Despite the moping from the breakup situation, it never weighs down too much. There is a satisfying character transformation takes place. A jerk who blames his problems on others matures to appreciate woman and his friends more completely for who they are.
March 28, 2016
Unlike most, I found this unfocused, uninteresting, and hated almost all of the characters.
½ March 24, 2016
Highly unlikeable character and sexist film. He's allowed to sleep with other people and she's not?!
½ February 14, 2016
So good. I have to watch it every time it's on. Cusack always delivers. Great supporting cast, fun ending.
½ February 5, 2016
Pretty enjoyable little journey. The music is great too!
½ January 20, 2016
Just say no. This is just the kind of schlock that makes me hate John Cusack.
January 14, 2016
One of my all time favorite movies. Brilliant adaptation of the Nick Hornby novel. Other than changing the location to Chicago, very true to the book.