Jesus - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jesus Reviews

April 19, 2014
Decent account of Jesus's life, perhaps a bit camp for the purist like Passion of the Christ ...or not as good as the original 70's Jesus of Nazareth ..but still overall a 3.5 out of 5...a good one to start with before viewing the deeper and more serious ones mentioned.
August 18, 2013
He was a poor carpenter who never traveled more than 50 miles from his home and died at the age of 33, but his teachings changed the world and he is still followed by hundreds of millions of people around the world, 2000 years after his death. Jesus, originally produced as a TV miniseries, offers a glimpse into the human side of the Messiah, as well as tell the story of his life and martyrdom. The home video release is expanded from the edition of transmission, with material that was cut for time.
January 22, 2013
Gary Oldman in a Jesus film? Jesus played by Sisto? This could be interesting.
July 12, 2012
Puts it in a whole new perspective about the gospel.
July 15, 2011
Very underrated two part tv movie concerntrating more than usual on the Roman point of view. Gary Oldman ( The Fifth Element, Air force one ) plays a nasty Pontius Pilate, and Pilate's spy is pure evil, almost as evil as Satan himself (Jeroen Krabbe). But all eyes are of course on Jeremy Sisto as the man himself.
Although it has its faults .....Young Mary in love with Jesus? etc.....(and i was very worried where that was going....The film has some unusual ideas (most of which never appear in the gospels but do make interesting viewing.
For example - The film starts with a quick flash scene of Medievil Knights charging into battle shouting 'In the name of Jesus Christ'! And this is followed by a few seconds in the Trenches of World War two with a dying solider lying in blood.....hus last words 'Jesus.....Jesus....'.
Now i didn't see these ideas coming! Very original. And although the movie really slows down and the Jesus here is VERY human, there are some clever scenes with the Devil etc which made the story less predictable.
It's too far from the gospel for some people....and an American Jesus does seem a little weird. Is this film as great as Jesus Of Nazareth (1977) or 'The Gospel Of John' which was made the same year (2003) ? A fat NO of course, but it certainly has it's moments.
½ June 14, 2011
not too bad for an adaption of this.
April 2, 2011
The Jesus in this movie just seemed waaaay too happy to be caught up in the events of this film, not to mention no one could all.
½ March 26, 2011
I loved this movie & the way Jesus was portrayed!
½ February 25, 2011
I really like this production, it was on tv originally and then I obtained the video tapes. It explores both aspects of Jesus' ministry as well as the Roman governor's court life and the opposition of the Jewish council and high priests to Jesus.
½ January 26, 2011
I love stories and movies from the bible....expecially this one, one of my is too bad that I lost the dvd....I used to own it.
January 1, 2011
What would've been an uplifting film proved instead to be riddled with inaccurate interpretations of Biblical events.
½ September 15, 2010
Very entertaining for such a long movie like this, and the sets and costumes were surely the best part.
½ June 6, 2010
I guess the problem I had with this NBC TV movie was that they tried to portray Jesus as a beefcake of some kind. Were they marketing to the young single female Christians? Or the closet gay Christians? Or just any idiot dumb enough to want to watch this?
May 10, 2010
is not a False Prophet.
April 27, 2010
Wow! What a movie...what a saviour! Jeremy Sisto really captured the warmth of Jesus so beautifully - he connected with the people and loved them so deeply just as I imagine Jesus would have done. I loved how he portrayed Jesus as being fun and approachable... just like Jesus is!

The only thing I didn't like was at the beginning how they portrayed Jesus as not really knowing his purpose and doubting himself... when the Bible is clear that He knew from the beginning and had an authority from the beginning that people respected. Also stuff around his Fathers death wasn't biblical and the guys judging him at the wedding - that never happened. Still overall this was very good....

The Best story ever told with the BEST ending ever!

(Altho in this one it had a random bit at the very end of the guy who acted as Jesus surrounded by Kids...not sure if that was meant to be heaven or what? )
February 1, 2010
I swear if you look like an icon of Jesus you will never be out of work.
½ January 25, 2010
January 19, 2010
I love Gary Oldman but not enough to watch a film based around the bible!.
December 30, 2009
I adore Gary Oldman but there's something not gelling in this movie.
December 22, 2009
There are alot of Movies out there based upon Jesus life and I come more and more across. I wonder what is the difference in this one?