The Boys - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Boys Reviews

June 3, 2008
A powerful film, an unsettling film and by no means a lighthearted film. The intensity of the brothers is crazy and their destructive behaviour is scary. A chilling movie coupled with great acting and an effective soundtrack. Rowan Woods has made an effective film similar in tone to Once Were Warriors.
April 4, 2008
The tension simmering in the air in this movie has to be seen to be believed, and it is in this that its impact resides. There is no real violence in this movie, but this simmering tension leaves a mark much more raw, deep, and bloody than any act of mere violence. There is also the accute sense of being trapped by circumstances, by the inevitable concatenation of events, building to a terrible fate.
½ February 19, 2008
Bit of a disfunctional household but an impressive film. David Wenham is as versatile as Andrew Symonds. lol.
½ January 22, 2008
David Wenham is still perhaps the most prominent Australian male actor (certainly was the last time I was there) and it was his role in this coupled with the soundtrack by one of my favorite bands (on any continent) The Necks which made me seek out this film. Wenham really is great because he doesn't often repeat roles and I think his portrayal in this film is far more disturbing than, for instance, Russell Crowe's performance in 'Romper Stomper' (another Aussie movie, though much older). The whole film makes you feel trashy like the people in it and you teeter (like the characters must, and perhaps how people in real life similar situations must) between giving in to the bleak circumstances and all the seemingly excess drama and trying with all you've got to claw your way out despite not really believing there's anything better for you despite knowing it does exist and seeing it happen for other people. The ending really takes the movie from good to potentially great. And...great soundtrack by The Necks (the shortest tracks they've ever recorded, too. haha).
January 14, 2008
Diver Dan, what's gone wrong in your life?
January 2, 2008
David Wenham is truly chilling in this film. He is a top contender for best actor in the world.
December 27, 2007
Very disturbing, but brilliantly done.
½ November 29, 2007
Really well made, excellent acting, but it's so unsettling that I really couldn't 'enjoy' it. David Wenham was excellent.
½ October 29, 2007
The Boys manages to convey the unbearable tension brooding within this family with impeccable honesty and realism. The acting by every cast member is probably the best I have ever seen and the direction by Rowan Woods is dutifully constrained. This film is fantastic.
October 26, 2007
I'm giving it the big V; V for very great.
October 16, 2007
I just adore Aussie films and this is no exception Raw to the bone
September 27, 2007
This has to be one of my favourite Aussie films. David Wenham's performance is absolutely chilling. Such a powerful movie, and the score from Australian jazz trio the Necks helps set the mood perfectly. It'll make you want to take a shower.
September 24, 2007
a powerful haunting film -
September 14, 2007
Ohhh... this is some tough stuff and I can safely say that the acting in this flick is some of the best I have seen in my long career as a moviegoer. Powerfully dangerous Brett is played by David Weham -wow!
½ September 11, 2007
Quite disturbing and very slow. It's short too, but it seems like it goes for ages. Not much of a story, just about a man who gets out of prison, returns home to his family and basically goes insane... Yep thats it.
August 29, 2007
a friend rec. n i really like n enjoyed everything in this film. see it!!!!
½ August 29, 2007
i thought it was pretty good until all of a sudden the credits rolled. what was with there being no ending.
August 20, 2007
A harrowing film. Made me quite depressed.
July 29, 2007
Probably the greatest film of all time from the greatest film-making nation (per capita), but not an easy or pleasurable experience.
June 21, 2007
My favourite Australian film of all time. Bleak and wrought with tension. The camera angles attempt to convey the claustrophobic, catastrophic world these characters pace around in. Like caged animals, you know it's only a matter of time before something terrible is going to happen. Suggestic, compelling and brilliant ending. Amazing performances.