Jason and the Argonauts - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Jason and the Argonauts Reviews

½ November 21, 2015
Not the best of the stories.... but just a time pass movie.
January 30, 2015
Boring, especially because Jason London is SUCH a bad actor that even a supporting cast of A-list actors can't save it. The Ray Harryhausen film was much better.
½ December 16, 2014
An atrocity so hilariously bombastic that you will have a great time watching this garbage only if you were stoned drunk.
November 29, 2014
Stays true to the classic myth from Greek Mythology but fails to deliver with terrible special effects and laughable actors. Power Rangers had better special effects than this at the time.
August 25, 2013
I DVR'd this movie knowing that it could never hold a candle to Don Chaffey's 1963 version done with effects by the amazing Ray Harryhausen. The special effects in this updated version are no where near as impressive as Harryhausen's classic style. Funny since you would think CGI even for a low budget movie "should" be better than stop-motion animation. You cannot not beat the classics.
December 27, 2012
Good movie...
For some people 'Jason and the Argonauts', one of the most representative tale of the rich Greek Mythology, is one the most intense adventure yarn of all times. For this reason, maybe, this story - with more than three thousand years - is always returning to delight children and adults. This new TV version is an accurate and well done entry of the classical adventure. The movie - starring young Jason London as Jason - has a correct cast (with an impressive Dennis Hooper as the cruel King Pelias) and extremely good special effects. Maybe the movie is a bit too overlong which causes some uneven development of the plot, with some parts less interesting than others. For example, the movie goes down when the Argonauts are made prisoners in the island of the Amazon women. But there's other great moments: the fight to take the 'Velocino' and the fight against the Minotauro. Although some old guys will remember and miss the old movies about Heroic Greece - especially the movies made with the assistance of the master of the special effects, Mr. Ray Harryhausen - this new version is capable and well done.
July 22, 2012
If you like Greek mythology, then see the film from the 60's. Yes, the effects are cheesy and some of the acting is horrible, but it is more entertaining than this film. i liked Jason London in some of his earlier and later films, but he was not meant for this part. The film drags on far too long. Skip it.
½ April 27, 2012
No pointed ears and black wig for Blalock in this one...Jason is just not an 'A' movie person. This movie was trivial at best...Worth seeing if you've got nothing better to do."
½ April 3, 2012
for a film i give a low rating...but i still enjoy watching
August 30, 2011
I really love this, too much. I think its one of the best sort of adventure "epic" movies made.
August 19, 2011
may i see the characters?
½ July 25, 2011
i love this movie...maybe its because I am a fan of greek literature...:)
½ July 3, 2011
As a lover of Greek mythology, I was expecting more. The story is OK, the acting is blah, the CGI's are a little on the cheesy side. I wish this would've had more 'star power' though. Yes, there's Frank Langella & Dennis Hopper, but outside of that, nothing. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either. It's loooooong, & I think that's an understatement.
½ November 12, 2010
expected much more from the same director of SyFy's Alice.. and i like Jason London, think he's really cute! but the movie was very weak.. :(
jjnxn
½ August 8, 2010
Cheeseball and miscast epic but okay if you're looking for a mindless fantasy pic. Dennis Hopper should never have done biblical films he was just to contemporary in persona.
July 12, 2010
Pretty good for a made for tv production.

Best creepy Zeus ever.

also, Omid Djalili.
July 8, 2010
At first I thought there was only one Jason and the Argonauts movie and that I was watching it. But then I realised that CGI was pretty good and all and that it was quite a recent movie. So yeah, it wasn't the 1963 version I was watching, it was this one. This is a 2 part movie (or apparently a TV show), each part about an hour and a half long. The film is about, as you guessed it, Jason's quest after a Golden Fleece, with his newly found crew, just like in Greek mythology.

I was really impressed by the character development in the film. All of the main and supporting actors got into their roles well, giving each character a distinct personality. Hercules was absolutely kickass, although I felt as though he was supposed to be stronger than they depicted him in the movie. I didn't feel as though there was much chemistry between Jason and Medea. Maybe because their love was induced by the will of the Gods as opposed to coming about naturally. Speaking of the Gods, every scene with Zeus and Hera watching the mortals from the Heavens was absolutely amazing. The actors did a great job there and depicted the personalities of those two Gods very accurately.

The action scenes were superb, ranging from Poseidon's wrath at sea, to a fight with harpies, to Jason's challenge against a metal fire-breathing bull, to a fight with the dragon guarding the Golden Fleece. The only disappointment in this film is that THERE WAS NO TALOS!!! I was eagerly awaiting that scene, but it never came! But despite that you'll still be pleased to see many other mythological creatures.

This is going to go on my list of favourite epic movies. Truly fantastic fantasy adventure film!
½ July 5, 2010
not much impressed in the effects in this film. not convincingly removable. quite long. i haven't seen the original but its not that disappointing i guess.
½ May 10, 2010
Heh, I bought this because it's got Ciaran Hinds in it. Typically enough he gets bumped off in the first 10 minutes. Doh! The other 2 hours and 42 minutes are worth a look though. It's fun playing "Oooh, where have I seen them before" with the cast and the SFX are pretty good, I liked the bull especially.