George Washington - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

George Washington Reviews

½ August 30, 2018
It speaks in a quiet voice volumes of ourselves and the world that we live in.
½ May 27, 2018
After hearing Barry Jenkins mention this film on Criterion's channel, I decided to check it out, and I was blown away by it. Overall, I feel like this movie's purpose is to show us a glimpse in the life of a couple dozen residents of a decaying town. This is shown by the different pastimes and the ups and downs the characters experience. Even though a major tragedy occurs about a third of the way in, the movie doesn't dwell on it that much. The reason for this is because the tragedy isn't supposed to be the primary focus of the film. It's supposed to show tragedies can occur in life. I understand why somebody would find this movie to be a chore to sit through, but I loved it. There's a clear sense that it requires multiple viewings to absorb everything. It has just enough seemingly out-of-place shots which brings out this aspect as so they don't seem either too subtle or too excessive. Anyways, this movie hit all the right notes for me, and I'm glad I watched it. I highly recommend it.
April 14, 2018
Set in North Carolina, the film follows a group of friends - George, Buddy, Vernon, and Sonya - whose lives are forever changed one tragic summer day when Buddy, while they're messing around, slips and hits his head. At first, he seems okay, but then he starts behaving erratically and bleeds from his head and ears before collapsing to the ground, dead. The friends panic and fearing that they'll get in trouble, hide his body in an abandoned warehouse. George doesn't seem to know how to react, Vernon is stricken with guilt, and Sonya seems indifferent to Buddy's death. Afterward, George becomes the town hero when he rescues a boy from drowning and goes around trying to be a superhero. However, there is much more to George Washington than just a simple plot summary. It's not just about tragedy, but also the turmoil of growing up, upbringing, the fickle nature of friendship, and much more. It's a strange and compelling film that never follows any particular structure and just likes to follow its characters around in this decaying North Carolina town. I'm okay with that, because this film is so beautifully directed, superbly performed, and so engaging that I would follow these characters to the ends of the earth. It never focuses on one emotion, but instead gives the viewer the opportunity to feel a great deal of emotions. It's a film where you not only appreciate the bigger dramatic moments, but you also come to treasure and enjoy even the smaller moments with these characters. It's one of the great films of the century.
March 22, 2018
Poetic and passionate.
January 28, 2018
George Washington is surprising because 1. it's directed by a white dude who seems to throughly understand African American culture and 2. that white dude also directed Your Highness and The Sitter
June 2, 2017
A poem about the beauty of human relationships. An observation of adolescent hopefulness. A somber remembrance of the moment that that hopefulness is lost. David Gordon Green's "George Washington" is a lot of things. Among those things, it is the best that 21st century American independent cinema has to offer. It is a masterpiece.
April 9, 2017
A picture about America with the blinders off, a film about heroism that makes you chuckle and feel sad - and a film about childhood that lets us reenter that lost world and see the grass, sky and sunlight the way they once looked, in the golden hours.
½ September 25, 2016
A portrait of rustic life so compelling, it's easy to forget you're watching a movie.
April 5, 2016
This film is great on so many levels. I love the documentary style of shooting even though it does not seem like a documentary. Watching this film my heart breaks as these african-american teens go through the hardships of adolescence, poverty, and abandonment
½ November 23, 2015
With a rhythm all its own, this largely anecdotal film gathers together human moments, strange and moving, but somehow real - or real from this alternate universe where the film has occurred. There is a plot of sorts - we follow the lives of some young kids in North Carolina (probably) and see how they cope with a tragedy that occurs -- or how they don't cope. The minimalist music track gets you on its wavelength and slows down your need for anything other than character development and empathic feelings. The kids are great, providing line readings that are naturalistic but not. The adults provide comic relief or alien behaviour. I haven't seen anything else by director David Gordon Green (um, Pineapple Express?) but here, in his debut feature, he showed a poetic sense and an eye for alternately rusted out and lush landscapes. Worth seeking out.
½ November 18, 2015
A mesmerizing and soulful work of tragedy and heart, this Malick-esque look at inner-city teenagers dealing with boredom is poetic and pointed. A wonderful world made up of broken yet beautiful locations and sweetly cozy performances, it's a funny and jaw-dropping character(s)-study which reminds us that not everything can be hidden or thrown away.
August 30, 2015
Messed up movie about loony characters in a weird town, nothing made sense to me, only watched it due to the high ratings.
½ November 11, 2014
I've seen this type before; rough, sweaty, shaky cam, weird kids and 3rd world like American town... Nice pace but not enough to bring me in.
½ November 9, 2014
Awful film. Slow, boring and painful to watch with 3rd rate acting and a dreadful none eventful story.
June 22, 2014
this film is gorgeous
June 16, 2014
This movie should be a classic, there are many reasons why, but I want to focus on the cinematography by Tim Orr. Orr shoots the film in 35MM anamorphic & gives it a warm and delicate hue . It's beautiful, but not in the traditional sense. This is a beauty that captures the slow decay of an landscape and the fading memories of the people within it
May 2, 2014
The debt to Malick is a little too pronounced (though the stylistic comparison that leapt immediately to my mind was The New World, so maybe the debt is Malick's!), and the plot is a little too high stakes and feels intrusive at times, but it's beautiful and warm and easy to love, and the actors are all wonderful. Though Green may have done better later, this is a pretty good start.
March 26, 2014
It's a film that exists entirely within the character's memories. Not everything is explained and I think it works better that way. It relies on visual poetry more so than actual narrative, and the movie is all the more unique for it. Definitely an impressive directorial debut from David Gordon Green.
March 17, 2014
I really want to like this movie, but it's really better as an idea than as a film.
March 13, 2014
I'm a big fan of David Gordon Green.