George Washington - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

George Washington Reviews

½ September 25, 2016
A portrait of rustic life so compelling, it's easy to forget you're watching a movie.
April 5, 2016
This film is great on so many levels. I love the documentary style of shooting even though it does not seem like a documentary. Watching this film my heart breaks as these african-american teens go through the hardships of adolescence, poverty, and abandonment
½ November 23, 2015
With a rhythm all its own, this largely anecdotal film gathers together human moments, strange and moving, but somehow real - or real from this alternate universe where the film has occurred. There is a plot of sorts - we follow the lives of some young kids in North Carolina (probably) and see how they cope with a tragedy that occurs -- or how they don't cope. The minimalist music track gets you on its wavelength and slows down your need for anything other than character development and empathic feelings. The kids are great, providing line readings that are naturalistic but not. The adults provide comic relief or alien behaviour. I haven't seen anything else by director David Gordon Green (um, Pineapple Express?) but here, in his debut feature, he showed a poetic sense and an eye for alternately rusted out and lush landscapes. Worth seeking out.
½ November 18, 2015
A mesmerizing and soulful work of tragedy and heart, this Malick-esque look at inner-city teenagers dealing with boredom is poetic and pointed. A wonderful world made up of broken yet beautiful locations and sweetly cozy performances, it's a funny and jaw-dropping character(s)-study which reminds us that not everything can be hidden or thrown away.
August 30, 2015
Messed up movie about loony characters in a weird town, nothing made sense to me, only watched it due to the high ratings.
½ November 11, 2014
I've seen this type before; rough, sweaty, shaky cam, weird kids and 3rd world like American town... Nice pace but not enough to bring me in.
½ November 9, 2014
Awful film. Slow, boring and painful to watch with 3rd rate acting and a dreadful none eventful story.
June 22, 2014
this film is gorgeous
June 16, 2014
This movie should be a classic, there are many reasons why, but I want to focus on the cinematography by Tim Orr. Orr shoots the film in 35MM anamorphic & gives it a warm and delicate hue . It's beautiful, but not in the traditional sense. This is a beauty that captures the slow decay of an landscape and the fading memories of the people within it
May 2, 2014
The debt to Malick is a little too pronounced (though the stylistic comparison that leapt immediately to my mind was The New World, so maybe the debt is Malick's!), and the plot is a little too high stakes and feels intrusive at times, but it's beautiful and warm and easy to love, and the actors are all wonderful. Though Green may have done better later, this is a pretty good start.
March 26, 2014
It's a film that exists entirely within the character's memories. Not everything is explained and I think it works better that way. It relies on visual poetry more so than actual narrative, and the movie is all the more unique for it. Definitely an impressive directorial debut from David Gordon Green.
March 17, 2014
I really want to like this movie, but it's really better as an idea than as a film.
March 13, 2014
I'm a big fan of David Gordon Green.
½ February 17, 2014
Well shot and emotional. The dialog is so realistic it's almost awkward.
½ December 7, 2013
David Gordon Green's debut is a slow but fantastic coming-of-age drama. His style, a perfect blend of Terence Malick and Harmony Korine, creates beauty within the film's unique characters and impoverished setting.
October 24, 2013
By far one of the greatest movies I have ever seen. Reflects adolescent simplicity with complex emotions. I would refer to it's slow pace as discomforting tension which makes me want to know what George will do next. David Gordon Green did an amazing job on his first feature film with a limited budget.
½ May 29, 2013
The everyday made poetic by a visionary eye--Immensely subtle, brilliantly realized!!
May 16, 2013
I try to finish watching movies that I post a review for, but this is a humorous case for me. I got 32 minutes into this hour and a half film. From the synopsis:

"While wandering around with his rag-tag band of mates, one boy gets inadvertently killed. Fearing parental retribution, the gang hides the body. Later, matters comes to a head when guilt and anxiety starts to take its toll."

None of this had happened by the time 1/3 of the film was over. Watching this movie is like being given a homework assignment that's a combination of Terrence Malick and Harmony Korine. If that sounds like your jam, you may like this film.
February 13, 2013
Imagine if Gummo made sense, and had a tragic heart to it. Now you have a small understanding of this film.
½ January 12, 2013
While it hits some nice beats, Green is let down by his failure to get the best performances from his largely amateur cast and his decision or inability to use alternative takes.