George Washington - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

George Washington Reviews

December 27, 2012
The Criterion Collection's Synopsis: ''Over the course of one hot summer, a group of children in the rural south are forced to confront a tangle of difficult choices in a decaying world. An ambitiously constructed, sensuously photographed meditation on adolescence, the first feature film by director David Gordon Green features breakout performances from an award-winning ensemble cast.''

Perfect. It's like Terrence Malick making a coming-of-age film. A wondrous experience.
December 2, 2012
David Gordon Green's debut was quite refreshing in 2000, an indie movie that didn't involve excessive language or violence, a movie about black kids growing up which didn't include a hip hop soundtrack, and rural South without any racism involved. It completely goes against all expectations of cliche, but it is one that needs quite a lot of attention and involvement from the viewer as well. Although Green has moved towards successfully to commercial comedy films, the earlier dramas were something to cherish.
November 6, 2012
Touching and funny at times, but unsure what the purpose of the film is, except to glorify the US government. They relocate the boys to USA, the boy get subsistence for 3 months and then they have to find work and pay for their flight to the USA. Once settled they have to find a way to become a community since they are spread around the USA, provide for their families back home and bring the plight of S.Sudan to the world's attention.
October 29, 2012
A beautifully made short film, depicting the lives of a group of kids in the South. The traintrack shots are indescribably gorgeous and the ruggedness of this rural area is seen as candidly as possible. Unsurprisingly, the film ends in a disturbing manner, but how would it be otherwise? Truly authentic.
October 19, 2012
A somber rural odyssey that affects through imagery & monologues quite effectively.
August 15, 2012
Filmed here in NC. Brilliant film that uses more visual drama than any other movie i have seen.
August 7, 2012
A beautiful film with style, feeling, power, and a strong sense of life. The search for redemption in these guilty children's lives is a tough journey, but the film ends with something completely different, acceptance. In that acceptance, we all find hope. Some of it's most powerful scenes are so simple, but it's just the feeling of how raw it is that makes us feel it more than we ever would otherwise. It's hard to believe the director of "Pineapple Express" could've ever write/direct such a haunting, original and flat-out brilliant film. A great movie.
½ July 26, 2012
Weird little low budget art house film. I had actually never seen a film like this. It is extreme art house, and kind of lacks direction or any real story at all. The director chose to cast real people not actors, or at least they seem like it because the acting is not very good. Overall it is not very entertaining, I don't recommend it unless you are an art house fan.
July 1, 2012
George Washington is a tale of friendship and tragedy that matches that of Stand By Me.
June 18, 2012
It's hard to know what to say about this film. It filled with opposites. It is amateurish, but deep, dismissible, but compelling, crude, but elegiac... A lot like life.
June 14, 2012
Man, David Gordon Green, way to make your first movie ever, like, one of the best movies that anyone's made. It's like Terrence Malick in a southern U.S. ghetto town with these really beautiful, Faulkner-amazing monologues. One of the best coming-of-age stories there is. Shoot man. I wish I made this movie. It's so pretty. It's real sad and bittersweet, but almost magically uplifting. And there are things in this movie that are just about the best things in any movie--things like dinosaur masks and suitcases full of water and stuff. D. G. G., you win the prize man.
April 7, 2012
I heard about this movie in a book that I recently bought. I ended up loving it. This movie is really engaging, with a great story and even better acting from the mostly non professional cast. Truly a great movie
March 21, 2012
An interesting film about childhood. Feels almost like a dream.
January 7, 2012
From the director of.. Your Highness and The Sitter!? What the hell happened to this guy??
½ January 7, 2012
An exceptional debut.
blkbomb
½ January 2, 2012
Nasia: Sometimes I smile and laugh when I think of all the great things you're gonna do. I hope you live forever.

"down this twisted road, please watch over my soul and lift me up so gently so as not to touch the ground."

David Gordon Green's debut feature, George Washington, is immensely different from the films he's been putting out for the last few years. He's been putting out stoner, sex comedies like Pineapple Express, Your Highness, and The Sitter. George Washington couldn't be less like those movies. It is as far away from comedy as you can be. It's a slow and sad film from a child, Nasia's, point of view. She narrates the story of George, and how he and a couple of friends accidentally killed their friend Buddy. From that point on, these kids aren't really kids any more. The innocence of childhood has left them.

If you want poignant storytelling, George Washington is your film. It's a movie where you can feel for a character, that something awful has happened to. George isn't a bad, rebellious youth, as a lot of these types of films use. He's a good kid, who is in a poor area, around other poor kids. He has a disease that doesn't allow him to get his head wet, and a little bump on the head could kill him. He's limited in what he can do with his friends.

You can feel the scene where everything turns about five minutes before it happens. When the scene is occurring, you know this is where the tragedy is going to occur. David Gordon Green does the tragic scene the realistic and proper way. Stuff like this doesn't occur like it does in most movies. There's no suspenseful music before hand, there's no slow motion while it's going on, there's no crazy freakout rant afterwards. When a tragic event occurs, you are stunned, and you do what these kids do. You sit down on the ground and stare, until one of you can get up the courage to make a decision what to do next.

I can best describe this Indie movie, by saying it resembles the same feel of a Gus Van Sant indie. There's a bunch of no name actors, that don't really try to act. They perform like real people. They occasionally will make mistakes when they talk and stutter over words, trying to find the right thing to say. Gus Van Sant did Paranoid Park like six or seven years after this, and the two are quite alike. Paranoid Park went a different route in the aftermath of the accident, but the lead up is a lot alike.

George Washington isn't a film that is for everyone. You may end up finding it too slow or too boring. You may feel that it doesn't quite go anywhere plot wise. But if you like understated, subtle dramas, give it a watch. It just may blow you away.
½ December 17, 2011
Such a beautiful looking film. Alot of the dialogue in this movie is so sweet and sad. I love how the delivery is somewhat understated, brilliant decision. I also liked how it never followed a real plot, it just flowed. Made it feel like those endless summers as a kid with your friends. But there are a few things that i really hated that can be attributed to being a directorial debut and indie. This is my first David Gordon Green movie and i'm a fan, excited to see his other stuff.
½ October 30, 2011
A startling poetic film.
October 13, 2011
A strange and depressing coming of age film, surrounding rural kids in a summer that will change the lives of them all. The film has characters that you can't help but care for, all played by brilliant actors. An excellent story that surprised me in many ways. A haunting, depressing and wonderful film that everyone should see.
July 21, 2011
So hard to judge. Listening to Fennesz's Endless Summer is, in a peculiar way, like watching George Washington. I've never seen these characters or experienced exactly what they did, yet it openly invites and eases you into being empathetic. And with that, it feels so familiar, like a distant memory.. trying to climb through, except you've never had a memory like this. If you haven't caught on yet, this movie has no plot. Only adolescence in a small town done with so much risk and equal success by David Gordon Green.

For a distant, small-town with an appearance that nature is taking its land back, it looks oddly glamorous. In the same way that The Wonder Years looked like to its fans. It fills a void and answers a question of how important a suburban neighborhood (in the word) is to society. Whether large, small, rich, poor, fake, hopeful.. it's a natural constant in most lives outside not even of big city life itself.

I'd love to talk about how the plot naturally unfolds but I shouldn't. I can say plot isn't what matters, but how the characters respond and it works from there magnificently. For a movie thriving in empathy, the dialogue pushes and pulls with a soothing grace rather than an irritating one. And, damn it, it's not all about a boring town and how everyone goes about the same routine day to day struggling with finding something worthwhile. It's about what's worthwhile in life, noticing it, and actually giving it a chance. Even if that something is too small to notice.

Now, I'm gonna watch a comedy so I don't cry myself to sleep.

That was a joke.