The Patriot Reviews

• Aug 09, 2019

The Patriot is an improvement over Gibson's similar historical revenge flick Braveheart.

• Jul 28, 2019

I really love this movie. It is one that I watch at least once, maybe twice a month. It is just a classic movie for me. I am a complete history buff and that is probably why I enjoy this movie so much. I feel as if it gives a somewhat accurate picture of what the Revolutionary War was like. Mel Gibson also does an amazing job playing Benjamin Martin, a South Carolina farmer who doesn't want to get involved in the Revolution. He is a family man that wants to keep his children from seeing war first hand, as a father should, but eventually the war comes to him in a way. In all, excellent movie, I would definitely reccomend it.

• Jul 22, 2019

Okay so I know what people are thinking if I was going to review The Patriot when they're thinking about the Steven Seagal version of The Patriot which has nothing to do with historical Revolutionary War. Mel Gibson gained on Braveheart before this came out. Why did I say that? It's because the battle scenes are similar. Hey, I haven't seen it I just know it. Mel Gibson plays Benjamin Martin the veteran of the French and Indian War and a widowed father of seven children. He refuses to go to war but his eldest son, Gabriel played by Heath Ledger goes to war to join the Continentals against his father's wishes. Colonel William Tavington played by Jason Isaacs and his army of British redcoats arrive to the house, captured Gabriel, Thomas tried to stopped them but is shot dead by Tavington calling him a stupid boy. So when their house got burned down, it's up to Benjamin to take down the redcoats. He and Gabriel joined up with his army of friends to take down a bunch of British redcoats once of for all to protect their family. So it's not that long for an epic war film but it does have some slow-paced moments that do fit for some part. As much as I enjoyed most of the action in the war it gets bloody. What people like especially women is the costume design. But there's only one scene that got to me in tears is where Benjamin's daughter, Susan telling him not to leave and she'll say anything he wants but he promises her he'll be back. That scene gets me anytime it gets emotional. I'm not gonna lie, it really did get me. Years ago this is something I checked out before I checked out the Lethal Weapon films now that's saying something 'cause I said before that Mel Gibson is one of my favourite actors of all time. I know there are people out there who don't really like the movie mainly because of it's antics of the American's hatred on the British and the Britain's hatred on the Americans especially when those redcoat b*****d's murdering innocent people, destroying their homes and families. But I'm not one of those people who hate this film, I liked it. It may not historically accurate but it is a fantastic war film with some good cinematography which really made the film look real in the war. Actually I heard somebody in the film mention the word "accurate". Mel Gibson, his character said it and the second time somebody else said it. Well, that's just the fact. I'd say give it a watch if you haven't already.

• Jul 20, 2019

Mel's anti English period decent watch but factually way off base

Mel's anti English period decent watch but factually way off base

• Jul 17, 2019

It's a fairy tale for Americans

It's a fairy tale for Americans

• Jul 10, 2019

Great story with good acting, but wretched pacing.

Great story with good acting, but wretched pacing.

• Jun 18, 2019

If You Need A Movie To Sleep Too The Patriot Is That Movie It Is Way To Long

If You Need A Movie To Sleep Too The Patriot Is That Movie It Is Way To Long

• Jun 03, 2019

This Movie is Very inspiring and is no Doubt one of my favorite movies ever!

This Movie is Very inspiring and is no Doubt one of my favorite movies ever!

• May 22, 2019

The Patriot feels like the same movie as Braveheart in many ways, in that they're both abut morally impeccable, loving widowers who fight for freedom and independence in brave, tactically subversive (yet honorable) ways against a ridiculously evil enemy. It also relies heavily on formulaic plot execution, especially in character death. Every time there's a pause in the story's atmosphere, the movie takes a break to kill a bunch of people to raise the stakes and introduce tragedy.

• Apr 19, 2019

I'd give in a 5 star but here's why it's 2.5: 1. Horrible inaccuracies with the historical facts. America was winning and kicking ass with the French by 1778 plus France was heavily involved by 1776. 2. Musckets were too accurate. Mel Gibson couldn't have killed 7 British regulars and officers by himself and his two boys. 3. The British really didn't burn houses, take slaves or turn free black men and women into slaves, nor kill rebels that were injured. But here's the good thing: decent writing, and acting, amazing soundtrack. But it's 2 hours to long.