A Christmas Carol - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Christmas Carol Reviews

½ February 9, 2016
This "made for tv" adaptation is fair and tells the well known story in a basic way. Still if you are a fan of the classic this isn't too bad, just not too great. It's definitely a good version of the story and does a good job getting the story across. It's not the definitive way to see it but it is definitely a watchable one.
May 2, 2015
Patrick Stewart is absolutely perfect for this role. I enjoyed this movie.
½ September 7, 2014
Not as good as some Xmas films
August 20, 2014
Not my favorite retelling of this classic but solid.....somewhat.
June 14, 2014
I admit that I'll watch Patrick Stewart in anything.
March 24, 2014
Good remake of the broadway classic helmed by Stewart.
December 27, 2013
With an excellent performance from Patrick Stewart, and a script with much more originality and inventiveness than most versions, David Hugh Jones's update on the classic tale is my personal favorite of the many adaptations.
December 21, 2013
This is a very faithful version of Dicken' s classic. I saw Stewart perform his one man show of a christmas carol on Broadway and he was brilliant!! I even saw it twice. You would swear there were twenty performers on the stage. So I was really looking forward to this tv movie and I was not disappointed . Stewart makes a very believable Scrooge and his transformation while a bit over the top is put' s a smile on your face. While the spirit of christmas present is my least favourite version the whole sequence is right out of the book. All in all one of better and faithful version of the story. But Alastir Sims is still the best!
December 20, 2013
Could it be? A made-for-TV Christmas movie that is worth watching? Well it is, mainly due to the unquestionable acting ability of Mr Stewart as he is on fine form here. The production values are good enough and don't hamper the solid cast's effort, and although I am sick to the back teeth of the story, this is still a worthy effort.
½ November 17, 2013
A beautiful, well acted, and well presented family movie that touches the hearts of those who choose to watch this beautiful tale
September 29, 2013
Read the original: the social justice issues come to the fore. Then see the Stewart version, and recognize how effectively the theme of redemption has been brought out on every level: individual, familial, societal. This is superb entertainment, and utterly faithful to Dickens' take on the effects of mid-19th-century industrialisation and capitalism on individuals and society. A tour de force.
½ April 17, 2013
One of the best movies ever made!
½ February 20, 2013
Patrick Stewart really shines in this role and the screenplay is true to the tale.
January 11, 2013
This is a story that never gets old. Patrick Stewart as Scrooge is a perfect choice, a choice I would not have thought would work, but it does!
January 5, 2013
A Christmas classic. You can't go far wrong with this one.
December 27, 2012
Ok version, performances perfectly fine but nothing more
December 24, 2012
In David Hugh Jones's faithful made-for-TV adaptation of Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol, it's more successful than other adaptations, and Patrick Stewart is wonderful in the Scrooge role, but it's still average because of the uneven script written by Peter Barnes, which is not funny or exciting, but the umpteenth version is pretty decent compared to other "tries", if it's fair to call them that...
December 22, 2012
I grew up on Alistair Sim but this version has become my favorite. the fact that this was made for TV limits it a bit and the obvious commercial breaks are irritating.

Patrick Stewart break the mold as Scrooge and gives a superb performance. The supporting cast is excellent and the story stays true to the original narrative.

A worthy addition for the Christmas season.
½ December 22, 2012
Good star cast. The usual story of one of the most remade stories ever lol
½ December 22, 2012
It actually deserves a much better rating from me, especially given that this is freaking Patrick Stewart. The characters were doing a really good job (except for the ghost of Christmas future), and the story was a genuine attempt at being faithful to the book. However, the special effects could use a bit of work, especially the crappy tornado effect before the lighthouse montage. Overall, this is a good retelling of A Christmas Carol, but it could be better.