A Christmas Carol - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Christmas Carol Reviews

April 1, 2017
A solid retelling of a classic story. (Trivia note - Patrick Stewart & Richard E Grant later star in a very different movie: Logan)
½ January 23, 2017
While I love Patrick Stewart and expected him to crush in the role of Scrooge, this film didn't work for me all that well. Stewart seemed to be over-acting in places, almost like he was exaggerating certain moments like you would in a stage production. Also the big emotional moments of the story did not hit for me in this adaptation. I enjoy the story of A Christmas Carol, so it seemed like a sure bet that I would get a kick out of this interpretation, but I found it lacking when it came to some of my favorite aspects of the story. It was relatively faithful to the original text, but failed to add to that tale or enhance it in any way.
January 16, 2017
Up at the top, better than Geo C Scott effort. Give it a look.
January 12, 2017
There are about a bajillion versions of A Christmas Carol out there, and of all of them, this one is...another one. It's not great, it's not terrible, it's just...good. It's not the one true definitive Christmas Carol, but if you like Patrick Stewart and you like this story there's something to be enjoyed here. My biggest issues with it are a couple things. For one, it's a bit too dark and ugly. Yes A Christmas Carol has some very dark moments, after all it is ultimately a ghost story, but they are offset by the happier moments and Christmas joy. This film seems to relish in the darkness and never totally come out of it. Second, some of the production design choices are a little weird. The sets are mostly fine, albeit very much TV movie quality, but some of the costume choices and directing (especially in regards to The Ghost of Christmas Yet To Come) are downright laughable in their cheapness. Finally, Patrick Stewart himself. I freaking love Patrick Stewart, but I don't know if he's really the best Scrooge. He's too likable and has too much power to his persona, which contradicts the moments where Scrooge is supposed to be despicable or the moments where he's really cowering at the mercy of the spirits. It honestly feels like he's sort of sleepwalking through a lot of this movie. Subtlety is fine and dandy, but this goes beyond that to looking like he didn't really even care. I'm really shitting on this movie more than I want to, I don't actually hate it. It's A Christmas Carol, and I love A Christmas Carol. The fact is though it's just another take on A Christmas Carol, and not a particularly memorable one. I liked Bob Cratchett in it, and I loved the ending scenes where Scrooge is now nice just because seeing a giddy Patrick Stewart is always a delight, but nothing else really stands out to me. But I can't give it a negative review because, again, it's A freakin' Christmas Carol! Even the poorest of adaptations still have something to like. This is far from one of the poorest adaptations, it's just an okay one. But even an okay take on this story is still fun to watch around Christmas time. It's not going to be my go-to Christmas Carol movie, but I'm glad I saw it at least once.
½ December 26, 2016
The best ever version of Dickens classic and it is a TV movie as well! Patrick Stewart is majestic.
December 24, 2016
Well done for a Hallmark production, but it does not measure up to the George C. Scott version.
December 9, 2016
This has become my favorite version of 'A Christmas Carol'. Patrick Stewart puts in an excellent performance as Scrooge. I just wish they would release this on Blu-ray.
½ February 9, 2016
This "made for tv" adaptation is fair and tells the well known story in a basic way. Still if you are a fan of the classic this isn't too bad, just not too great. It's definitely a good version of the story and does a good job getting the story across. It's not the definitive way to see it but it is definitely a watchable one.
May 2, 2015
Patrick Stewart is absolutely perfect for this role. I enjoyed this movie.
½ September 7, 2014
Not as good as some Xmas films
August 20, 2014
Not my favorite retelling of this classic but solid.....somewhat.
June 14, 2014
I admit that I'll watch Patrick Stewart in anything.
March 24, 2014
Good remake of the broadway classic helmed by Stewart.
December 27, 2013
With an excellent performance from Patrick Stewart, and a script with much more originality and inventiveness than most versions, David Hugh Jones's update on the classic tale is my personal favorite of the many adaptations.
December 21, 2013
This is a very faithful version of Dicken' s classic. I saw Stewart perform his one man show of a christmas carol on Broadway and he was brilliant!! I even saw it twice. You would swear there were twenty performers on the stage. So I was really looking forward to this tv movie and I was not disappointed . Stewart makes a very believable Scrooge and his transformation while a bit over the top is put' s a smile on your face. While the spirit of christmas present is my least favourite version the whole sequence is right out of the book. All in all one of better and faithful version of the story. But Alastir Sims is still the best!
December 20, 2013
Could it be? A made-for-TV Christmas movie that is worth watching? Well it is, mainly due to the unquestionable acting ability of Mr Stewart as he is on fine form here. The production values are good enough and don't hamper the solid cast's effort, and although I am sick to the back teeth of the story, this is still a worthy effort.
½ November 17, 2013
A beautiful, well acted, and well presented family movie that touches the hearts of those who choose to watch this beautiful tale
September 29, 2013
Read the original: the social justice issues come to the fore. Then see the Stewart version, and recognize how effectively the theme of redemption has been brought out on every level: individual, familial, societal. This is superb entertainment, and utterly faithful to Dickens' take on the effects of mid-19th-century industrialisation and capitalism on individuals and society. A tour de force.
½ April 17, 2013
One of the best movies ever made!
½ February 20, 2013
Patrick Stewart really shines in this role and the screenplay is true to the tale.