Sunset Strip - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sunset Strip Reviews

½ December 18, 2015
I watched this because I'm a relatively new Simon Baker fan, and this is one of the few options currently on Netflix with him in it.

The storyline of Sunset Strip has potential, but it was hard to follow, moreso in the first half. The second half was better. Musical performances by actors Tommy Flanagan and Nick Stahl were highlights.

The main story is with Tammy, played by Anna Friel. She was quite a character. She's a stylist, a fashionista who dresses musicians, actors, or whoever for a color coordinated, fashionable, and hot look, circa 1970-something. Apparently, she's overly popular with her male clients and easily willing to give them a little extra in the dressing room if that's what it takes to keep them happy and coming back. She's good at what she does, busy, and popular.

Simon Baker's character, Michael, is a photographer who is friends with Tammy. He's in love with her, and she doesn't know it. He's around and helps her out as needed, but she doesn't really see him, too busy trying to keep happy her demanding and famous customers.

Meanwhile, one of Tammy's famous clients has fallen for her. He wants to bring her back to the UK to be with him. It would be a high rolling lifestyle for her, but she'd have to leave behind her business and depend solely on his love.

She becomes aware of Michael's feelings thanks to a friend of his, someone Michael saves from an overdose. Now she has a decision to make: drop it all and go be with singer Duncan (played by Tommy Flanagan) or stay and be with Michael.

In addition to Tammy's story, there are several other short stories mixed in. The one that caught my attention is about Nick Stahl's character Zach. Zach steps out into the backyard to play electric guitar for the neighborhood and someone somewhere down the hill answers back. They just might be going somewhere with the dueling guitars.

Randall Jahnson, writer for The Doors (starring Val Kilmer) was involved in this, and I can see some similarities in these 2 movies. Both stories feature musicians and a gritty look at drugs and sex in a 70s music scene.

There's a story here, but Sunset Strip comes across as being in need of some work on timing and transitions, mainly a big issue with editing.
May 12, 2015
Although Sunset Strip is colorful and includes a decent script, but they cannot make up for the films multiple flaws. It's jumbled, pointless, overly busy, and leaves too many unanswered plot points.
½ November 13, 2014
September 16, 2013
Pretty weak overall, but friel was cute. Mostly I didn't care for the characters and their relationships had almost nothing to do with each other. Then they tell us where people went with their lives in thirty years bringing back small characters that were not important to the plot. I was left confused and uncompelled. But Maybe that's what the 70s were like? In that case they succeeded.
½ April 24, 2013
This is a very strange film. I wanted to see it because I'm a huge Nick Stahl fan and also a lover of 70s period favour. It seemed a bit artificial in the period department and the script wasn't the best, but the cast of characters was likeable. Something was definitely working for me, but it fell short of being great.
June 4, 2012
no info = no interest
December 5, 2009
I want to see this movie! It's heard to find even in the largest rental stores. I want to see Jared Leto as a cowboy.
September 15, 2008
GOOD MOVIE WORTH WATCHING
½ August 28, 2008
I enjoyed the acting (Nick Stahl, Jared Leto...)
½ July 27, 2008
Well, not really realize pop history in 70s L.A. but the flick is kinda ok with senses off humor. Solid acting cast including Anna Friel, Nick Stahl (in fact it is most probably his most lovable performance), Adam Goldberg & Jared Leto.
½ May 14, 2008
The acting is solid but the writing is all over the place, lacking form and focus and leaving the movie in a narrative mess. There's also a tonal problem in that it's too dramatic to be a "madcap" comedy, and just a tad too loose to be a drama; if the story were properly focused, this wouldn't be a problem, but as it is, the whole film just comes across as half-baked.
½ March 26, 2008
"When we get to London you'll see why we laugh at L.A." - yet another reason this film reminds me why I heart Tommy Flanagan
½ January 18, 2008
Really great movie! I Loved it! :D
January 16, 2008
ooo jared leto's in this thats why it's soo good
December 27, 2007
I loved it.. Jared looks like Ted Nugent
½ September 6, 2007
good movie, very funny
½ September 3, 2007
Wellif your like me and you enjoy movies that take you back to classic moments in pop history, sex, drugs and rock & roll. kinda makes you wish you were there!
August 22, 2007
from what i have been told its like a comedy. but i plan on seeing it soon
August 7, 2007
This is a good movie for people who are big on music, the seventies, or Jared Leto. It's definitely not anything groundbreaking, but it IS immensely enjoyable.
July 24, 2007