10 Items or Less - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

10 Items or Less Reviews

January 5, 2013
Him: The director is so young he hasn't even been born yet.
December 28, 2012
I like Morgan Freeman and, Paz Vega's performance is enjoyable. However, even both of them together cannot make this movie more than OK.
½ December 12, 2012
Curious, original, and maybe a little weird. Freeman makes a role we are not used to, not as good as others, but with some interesting aspects. Vega makes the "realistic" reply. A surprising episode.
December 7, 2012
Worth finding and watching!
October 7, 2012
Not even Morgan Freeman could save this, which is quite a statement since he's saved the planet in other movies.
½ October 1, 2012
Great pairing. Morgan Freeman was wonderful.
½ August 26, 2012
This movie was different. Not too shabby.
August 4, 2012
It can't be easy to make a 90 minute film that really features only two actors, but Brad Silberlings ten items or less manages to beautifully accomplish this feat. the film stars Morgan Freeman as an actor best known for his crappy action films along side Ashley Judd (which becomes a humorous running joke). He hasn't worked in four years however. The film opens as he (we never learn his name) is circling a role in a small Indie film as a supermarket manager, being dropped off by the P.A. (a blink and you'll miss him Jonah Hill) He enters Archie's ranch market in the mostly Latino section of Carson, California. Its here he meets Scarlett (the super beautiful Paz Vega) a 25 year old woman who works the 10 items or less aisle (hence the title). It is also here the film picks up steam. He is left at the supermarket and scarlett agrees to get him home, but only after she takes care of some things. They travel together as she recovers her keys from her jerk off ex husband, seeks a waredrobe change at Target and goes on a job interview. This all may seem mundane but that is the point, this film is about two people who have in many ways given up, Scarlett believes she will wind up a childless spinster forever doomed to a life behind the check out line, He has forgotten his passion for performing, but through these seemingly boring tasks they discover not just their zest for life but kindred spirits within one another. The film features some terrific cameos by familiar faces such as Hill, Bobby Canavale, Anne Dudeck and Jim Parsons but the joy here is watching Freeman and Vega. The two play off the other wonderfully. He seems to be having a ball and She gets the most fully realized English language role she has ever had to date. There is a moment in the film where He asks about things one could love...keepers if you will. Ten items or less. I'll take this movie as a keeper anytime.
June 11, 2012
A small movie about a short term friendship of an actor and a checkout clerk. It was a nice little movie, a short one too, but quite enjoyable.
½ May 23, 2012
I wished it was called '10 Minutes or Less' because this was the stalest 81 minutes I've ever spent...Morgan Freeman should get a price check on his career and stick to voiceover's unless the film's director credits read Eastwood or Darabont, this material is far too banal for his talent.
May 7, 2012
"You are... three feet from my face."
This comes across as if it was written to be a short play or TV drama/comedy one off like Rik Mayall did in the 90's. Morgan Freeman play a comedic version of himself who spends the day hanging out with Paz Vega as a checkout girl and in a Lost in Translation lite way both enrich the lives of the other during this short period. It's a two person show and luckily both carry themselves very well, comedy coming from Freeman and the life affirming drama down to Vega, cameos from Jonah Hill, Jim Parsons and Danny DeVito made me laugh. Watch it on a lazy sunday evening and it's a perfect chill out film for if you have something else to do but need light entertainment to get you through.
½ April 19, 2012
weird movie,unusual.Didnt really make since.w.e.
½ March 3, 2012
A small confined independent film of a short running time, but one not short on relevant ideas and themes. The two actors, Freeman and Paz Vega, both do excellent work, carrying the entire film. Their interactions feel authentic, with the chemistry between them giving the film a much needed charm and occasional humor. The on-the-location film style and the incorporating of actual brands also helped give the film a realistic feel. I would have liked the film to have been longer and more expansive, but for what it does, it does well.

3.5/5 Stars
½ February 25, 2012
A lot of situations in this movie seem to be turning into something more, but in fact, they are nothing more than just scenes. Overall a very disjointed and incomplete movie. Also, quite boring.
February 25, 2012
Morgan Freeman plays a popular movie star (!) wandering around the real world and helping the little people with a thumbs up and a smile and a jig. Gliding along on the pure charm of its lead (and executive producer) one can almost forget the implied insult. Paz Vega has the unenviable position of portraying "us - in awe". Unbelievable chutzpah.
½ February 1, 2012
I couldn't really get into this movie. It literally put me to sleep. I don't know...it wasn't bad and the whole thing was just alittle on the slow moving side. Maybe if I didn't work at a store I might of found something else about it. So, probably just not my movie.
½ January 16, 2012
I have to say that Morgan Freeman and Paz Vega give light to this movie. If it wasn't for the acting of these 2 fantastic artists, I honestly don't know how the movie would come out...Extremely boring maybe? Nevertheless, it's something you can watch when there's nothing else to see.
January 5, 2012
I caught this on one of the movie stations and even though I missed the first few minutes and a few other parts here and there, I really loved it. I will try and watch it again as soon as possible, but what I do know is that this movie excels through the power of simplicity and being very genuine and sweet.