10 Things I Hate About You - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

10 Things I Hate About You Reviews

October 1, 2016
In this very popular comedy aimed at teenagers directed by Gil Junger, a student (Julia Stiles) is furious to discover her prom date (Heath Ledger) was bribed by her sister to invite her. But confusion reigns when he then falls for her.

Stiles gives a very good performance in her role as Kat, while Ledger is superb in his role as Patrick, and this would be his breakthrough role, meaning he would be one actor to look out for in the future because on this occasion he suits the role very well. There is good support to be had from Larisa Oleynik as Bianca, Stiles' sister who sets the arrangement up.

Junger's direction is very solid throughout and there are some really funny moments to be had, but the main thing is that the movie is funny all the way through. If you are a fan of Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew, which itself was made into a movie starring Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton, this you should end up liking this film. I did, because I consider it to be very funny, charming and pleasant to view.
September 26, 2016
Such a great movie. Love Julia and Heath in this movie.
September 8, 2016
I like the dad. The movie holds up even til this day. It also has some subtle jokes that might not catch the viewers attention which I appreciated.
August 31, 2016
Wow, everything a classic flick would offer!

All the cast are great actors, they fit well with their characters and it doesn't feel force or anything. The story's kind of cliche (because I have only watched it at this time of the year and it's been a decade!)

This is a very clean and fresh teenage romance classic flick I would probably still enjoy watching after a decade or more.
August 28, 2016
Wow, everything a classic flick would offer!

August 27, 2016
An incredibly enjoyable teen movie that throughout its cheese, has a message that it conveys well. The cast all give great performances with Ledger in particular stealing the show, that "I love you baby" scene in particular is hilarious, by far the best scene in the movie. The soundtrack is on and off for me, some of it works well while other songs make no sense at all to the scene. I love the nostalgia though.
August 26, 2016
Most underrated movie I've ever seen. I usually hate teenage romance movies but this one is pure gold. Heart-warmingly entertaining & very well acted out, 10 Things I Hate About you might feel like your typical adoloscent comedy, but something.. Something elevates it something more than that.
½ August 15, 2016
Great characters and a funny script kind of make you forget how dumb the plot is. Highlights (for me) included Allison Janney as Mrs. Perky and Julia Stiles drunken dance to Notorious B.I.G.'s 'Hypnotize.'
August 7, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: '10 Things I hate about you' is actually a lot of fun because it doesn't take itself too seriously, but still manages to build characters that we can connect to and care about.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: Striking the balance on that though was always going to be tricky, and consequently this film can't get away from just how cringe-worthy it is, but in taking itself less seriously, it ends up fairly story-less too.
VERDICT: For what it is it's one hell of an enjoyable ride - even if it doesn't quite hit the right balance between emotional moments and spoof comedy.
½ July 25, 2016
Funny and with an enchanting cast , "10 Things" is predictable and nothing new, but a great teen movie in the end.
½ July 11, 2016
One of my guilty pleasures and I usually don't really enjoy these types of movies. But the relationships of the characters are very believable and they all have really good commentary. I like how Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Julia Stiles, Heath Ledger and Larisa Oleynik all have somewhat equal amounts of screen time, and although one can use that as an excuse to call the movie unfocused, it feels appropriate here. I do like all the characters and I do like the character development and how the characters mature throughout the movie. It's refreshing. Great 90's teen movie, if not the quintessential.
½ July 8, 2016
A better-than-average soundtrack and a better-than-average Shakespearean adaptation make for a better-than-average high school romcom.
½ July 2, 2016
One of the better teeny bopper movies. Great cast, with good chemistry probably help that. So much high school nostalgia watching this.
½ June 1, 2016
Never thought I would honestly like a romantic-comedy movie, but this movie got me. This movie surprises with its smart script, comedy scenes and Heath Ledger's spectacular performance. 10 Things I Hate About You is a must-watch for any romantic-comedy fan or someone who has no interest in romantic-comedy movies (me).
May 31, 2016
Never seen it but would give it a go
May 22, 2016
I'll see it for Heath... RIP
May 8, 2016
A very cheesy love story that makes a good movie for high school students at most.
½ April 27, 2016
"10 Things I Hate About You" is a clever update of William Shakespeare's "The Taming of the Shrew". It's a clever script with superb performances by Heath Ledger and Julia Stiles. It's definitely smarter than your average teen romp. Enjoy it for it's young (and often comedic) love stories or it's subtle kudos to its original Bard. Rating: 7.5 / 10
½ April 3, 2016
Heath is good of course but seeing this movie for the first time in 2016 is jarring. It really shows its age.