The 10th Kingdom - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The 10th Kingdom Reviews

½ February 8, 2014
Very satisfied with my viewing experience.
½ October 4, 2013
Quirky, funny and stil a favorite. Recently rewatched and enjoyed just a much a second time round.
September 3, 2013
i love this miniseri
March 29, 2013
This is a great movie. Fairy Tales for everyone with imagination, and not just for children.
August 24, 2012
Started thinking I would just watch the first episode that night, but ended up watching all 7 hoursstraight through the night. Best miniseries ever!!!
August 12, 2012
This miniseries is AMAZING. It is so underrated for some reason. its 7 hours of pure fantasy genius. No one, and i mean NO ONE who has seen this show hasn't loved it. I've shown it to about 10 friends and they all got completely obsessed with the series.
May 29, 2012
THIS is one of my favorite movies of all time! I was in the second grade when it first aired on NBC. I loved it then, and I still love it now! Only now that I'm older, the sexual and adult innuendo are more obvious to me.

This movie is smart, captivating, and charming. I honestly don't know how I could live without this on my shelf!
April 26, 2012
This is one of the all time greatest fantasy mini series ever!!! It's charming, funny, with a dash of romance. They need to do a sequel pronto.
March 18, 2012
It's fun, family friendly, and a great way to waste the weekend.
February 16, 2012
One of the best mini series, wished it would continue
July 13, 2011
Great mini-series, wonderful casting and form of story telling which takes all fairy tales of Grimm's work and brings them to life in realistic and comical ways. Ann Margret plays Cinderella too.
February 16, 2011
Imaginative, enthralling and all out entertaining with well-rounded characters, an entertaining plot, and a story that keeps us watching no matter how long the movie is. I get sucked into this movie every time that I watch it because there is always something new that I had missed before.
January 1, 2011
Fantastic! It is an enjoyable fairytale filled with lovable characters and exciting adventures.
December 29, 2010
This is one of my favorite shows at all time. I loved it when it came out in 2000 when I was only 10 and still love it at 21. Seriously, watch it.
½ October 23, 2010
Awesome, It was so good, I loved every single character in it. The storyline is awesome.
August 29, 2010
I cannot recall any better modern fairy tale movie made in the last 10 - 15 years. Just wonderful! Can watch it again and again (and this is 60-year old dude writing).
½ June 30, 2010
I love the 10th Kingdom. It's a fun, smart, warm and meaty fairy tale for grown ups. I feel those who have called this an "updated" or "politically correct" version for Grimm's Fairytales are quite mistaken. The Grimm Fairytale universe is only the springboard from which this story leaps forward to find it's own moral and emotional bearings. The story will at times remind you of Snow White, which it references heavily but carefully refrains from "retelling". Snow White remains as it was told, red-hot slippers and all. Our heroine is of another generation.

I was struck by the fact that this modern fairytale was created by and for a culture that has been strongly influenced by feminist ideas and psychological insights not heard of the Holy Roman Empire. This may be the reason that some are tempted to see it as a "politically correct" "update" of Grimm. I would not describe the 10th Kingdom as a feminist fairytale; however, for two reasons. First, it's character's struggles and the lessons they are learning (and teaching?)are personal in a way that rarely boarders at all on the political. Secondly, the moral prospective of the film does not consistently follow any principals that seem to have been deduced from any of the various waves of feminism. In fact, one of the few false notes in the film is the fact that the heroine seems to be compelled by destiny into a romantic relationship festooned with great flashing warning signs of potential for domestic abuse, yet somehow this works out and is just fine. The idea of reproductive freedom is dismissed out of hand.

Having said all of this, this film is first and foremost, a lovely and diverting piece of entertainment. The less you classify it, the more you will enjoy it.
½ June 10, 2010
The 10th Kingdom is in a category all it's own. With it's fun quirky story, it's distorted look at classic fairy tales, and it's surprisingly enjoyable story it stands out as a "made for TV movie" that is actually watchable. Kimberly Williams leads the cast alongside Rutger Hauer and John Larroquette. There are a couple of surprise names popping up here and there (specifically Dianne West). The major drawback that this movie has is simply the fact that it is seven and a half hours long, this worked well for a mini series but it's very difficult to sit through in one sitting and it has difficulty holding enough attention to get you to come back to it regularly.

I would recommend this movie to anyone that is laid up on bed rest, it's a good way to pass a day in bed.
June 2, 2010
It's amazing how you can find something entertaining and different in such odd places. This series is a prime example. It was originally aired on the Hallmark Channel as a mini-series (which I honestly did not know until some Internet research) and slid in under the radar. I first experienced this when my cousins brought the DVD with them on a visit and started watching the last disk since that's where they left off at home. I was intrigued to say the least. Years later I saw the DVD on sale at Blockbuster, and I couldn't help myself. I picked it up, took it home, and started taking it all in.

The acting is far from top-notch. I'll say that right here and now. It's not impossible to live with, of course, but it's simply not the best. The special effects are also sort of sub-par, but acceptable. The rest is stellar. Great premise, solid progression of story, pleasant mix of comedy and drama, and an overall memorable experience that any fantasy fan (or viewer looking for the more 'correct' versions of the Grimm Fairy Tales in film format) should give a shot.
April 18, 2010
one of my favorites. This was supposed to be a series, but I guess the ratings weren't high enough. The book is good, too.