Don't Drink the Water - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Don't Drink the Water Reviews

August 22, 2017
#WoodyAllenRetro Podcast Project

Woody takes a shot at adapting his original play from a previous movie which he could not directly control at the time - although fun - this feels just like a movie of it's time when woody started out in the late 60's - you can feel the isolation a play transformed to a movie can have here especially when the movie part is not taken full advantage of - overall a decent watch, great cast as always but feels limited and after 30mins feels like we've seen the routine - would have loved to see michael j fox in a proper feature written and directed by woody but as is - its decent enough
March 28, 2017
As much as I like Allen I found the pace way too fast and it never let's up when Woody is in a scene. Its like he and the cast had too much coffee. Too not credible when son is left in charge of embassy. For a TV movie I would never have guessed as it came off much better than TV films I have seen. Fox doesn't
Look comfortable in his role. Basically this film was Funny due mostly to Allen's frantic character. His wife sounds like marge Simpson and could be in fact the voice for her in The Simpsons.

I left the film half way through as it wore me out due the continuous fast talking dialog. Alan alda and Dom delouise are there usual selves. One of the less satisfying Woody films for me.
May 23, 2016
A surprisingly funny movie. In the early 60's Woody Allen wrote a play entitled DON'T DRINK THE WATER. It was made into a film with Jackie Gleason, but bombed. Allen was disappointed. In 1994 he directed and starred in a made for tv version of his play. It is a filmed stage play, but it's quite funny. It's about an ambassador's less than stellar son who has to run the embassy in a communist country in the early 60's when his father goes back to the States. Things are going find until an American family comes running into the embassy for protection because the police thinks they are spies. The couple (played by Allen and Julie Kavner) are two of the most obnoxious people you could meet. But at least their daughter is nice. More craziness comes when a middle eastern king and his harem of wives come to the embassy. All kinds of crazy ensues. It stars Allen, Kavner, Michael J. Fox, and Dom DeLuise. If you're in the right mood for zany humor it's a good one. If you're not in the mood don't watch it.
May 17, 2015
even though made as a TV movie based on a successful stage play doesn't feel like it under the skillful direction of Allen.
½ October 8, 2014
Funny this movie didn't get very good ratings. I thought it was a very funny farce. I really enjoyed it.
September 5, 2014
I assume the poor reviews had to do with holding Woody Allen to higher standards than the rest of the world. This didn't have any of the brilliant mind altering life altering deep thoughts I expect from him, but it was legitimately entertaining. There was no higher moral or message to walk away with, but the characters were solid and well developed, the acting was all perfectly executed, and there were a lot of laughs. And really. Michael J. Fox. You can't have a bad movie with Woody OR Michael, certainly not with them together.
½ March 11, 2014
This TV movie from Writer-Director Woody Allen is the second adaptation of his 1966 play. The 1969 version was directed by someone else and starred Jackie Gleason, and Allen was never satisfied with that adaptation. So in 1994 he decided to make it himself for ABC. His version is actually better. It still takes place during the Cold War in the 60s, but this feels slightly more timeless, probably because it lacks that sort of late 60s style just doesn't hold up well. Allen steps into the Gleason role, and Michael J. Fox is quite good as the failed son of a diplomat.
January 26, 2014
It was funny, but it probably worked better as a play.
January 18, 2013
TV movie of Woody's 1970 stage play starring Woody himself. Terrible directing, tedious.
October 1, 2012
That was pretty bad.
September 9, 2012
This becomes so silly that it stops becoming funny and that happens quite early on. It has its moments so it's not a complete bust but it's definitely one of Allen's weakest.
June 23, 2012
I really don't like Woody Allen, especially in this type of role. I guess it's supposed to be funny how irritating he is, but I find him just irritating. I didn't really care much for Dom Deluise's performance, either. Everyone else did a good job, but the overall production falls flat.
March 18, 2012
A little slow in parts, and was probably better on stage.
JonathanHutchings
March 11, 2012
Woody's Cold War satire is overwrought, overwritten, and ultimately, underwhelming.
February 29, 2012
real "stage-y" but I couldn't help but laugh, a lot
½ February 5, 2012
The weakest Woody Allen film I've so far seen. The stage production may have been successful but this made-for-tv adaptation feels quite a lazy, throwaway affair. About the most interesting thing about it is that Allen's wife in the film is played by the voice of Marge Simpson.
November 6, 2011
My favorite Woody Allen movie, partly because it's so clean. I'm a self-professed prude but hey - I still enjoy a good comedy. From the communist-hunting Mr. Kilroy to the amatueur magican priest (one of Dom's best roles) to the overly-nervous chef, this movie has some of the funniest characters I've ever seen in a film. The dialogue is first-rate and the musical score (I suspect which was composed by Allen himself) is both unique and catchy. I even get it stuck in my head sometimes, haha.
April 25, 2011
One if Woodys funniest filmed plays. Unusual subject material. Familiar treatment. Good cast
½ April 20, 2011
An uneven, irritatingly simplistic failure from one of cinema's finest filmmakers. Disappointing.
½ January 9, 2011
Interesante, situaciones divertidas pero los personajes no tiene la profundidad caracterÝstica de Woody Allen y eso se hecha mucho de menos