The Terrorist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Terrorist Reviews

½ May 28, 2014
The final scene is brilliant but the 90's filler music throughout the film was brutal.
December 14, 2013
Not entirely sure what to think about this movie at the moment. It sure is beautiful.
½ September 20, 2012
The story falls in a few place, and, for me, was a slight disappointment, but the camera doesn't skip a beat.
October 2, 2010
Not your "HolyWood" typical. But, hey, check it out. Gives you a clean perspective of suicide bomber mentality. Pretty timely, even in 2010. 5 stars for great acting by Dharker. One half star subtracted due to melodrama and obvious conclusion. A fresh tomato though diced it may be.
½ September 27, 2010
This is a beautifully shot movie, and the story of a young woman's personal journey to possible martyrdom is delicately told and surprisingly minimalist, but it's no less powerful or thrilling for this reason. The last five minutes of the film will have your heart and nerves racing.
½ August 8, 2010
A haunting, personal look at a female terrorist. Looking back on this movie, I'm amazed at how minimalist it is. There's not much action, at least not as much as you'd expect from a movie with this title. There aren't that many characters, the locales aren't spectacular. In fact, the movie really hinges on Ayesha Dharker's performance. There are shots where other people are speaking, but we only see her face and her reactions. Some characters' faces are never revealed. She is the focus, and after a while, we empathize with her, though we know full well what she's planning. We don't root for her to succeed, but we want her to come to her senses. Because of this connection the movie makes with its main character, the ending is devastating in how much it doesn't reveal to us.
July 24, 2010
A terrific movie by Santosh Sivan. Explores the realm, psyche and angst of a suicide terrorist, Malli. Garnered very positive reviews among the festival circuit. Already there on Roger Ebertâ??s â??Greatest Moviesâ??.
½ June 16, 2010
Malli isn't like any terrorist you've seen before. She's well kept with big bold eyes and a smile that could get away with murder. Nor is she some back country bozo who will do anything anybody tells her as long as it involves promises of other worldly riches and virgins. She's an intelligent and deep thinking woman. What then is her motivation for her life style? She's genuinely devoted to the cause and has lived it her whole life.

What if, however, right before the biggest moment in her life as a terrorist and a potentially game altering kill her life circumstances change? Would she still have the heart to go through with her plans? The movie greatly captures her struggle within.
½ June 16, 2010
LETTERBOX. Interesante y conmovedora, pero muy manipuladora con sus recursos dramáticos y algo vacía en su carácter poético. / Interesting and moving, but much too manipulative with its dramatic assets and rather empty in its poetic mode.
½ June 9, 2010
i cant explain through writing about ths lovly film....u sud watch ths film frnds ( though its so tough 2 get it now.....
½ May 27, 2010
A beautiful, carefully-paced account of the redemption of a mind lost in revolutionary stupor. In response to the old thinking that there can be no peace without justice, here arises the premise that can be no justice without peace, at least within one's own mind.
April 3, 2010
This Tamil movie (original title: "Theeviravaathi") is truly remarkable. It revolves around Malli (unforgettably brilliant: Ayesha Dharkar), a 19-year old who was raised in a guerrilla camp in the South Indian jungle and is being prepared for a mission as suicide bomber.

The imagery is stunning - which doesn't come as a surprise because director Santosh Sivan previously worked as cinematographer of Bollywood movies like "Dil Se..". "The Terrorist" is his first feature film which he shot for $50,000 in just 2.5 weeks.

Santosh Sivan tells his story slowly and poetically. But "The Terrorist" also works as a suspense thriller as you follow Malli's way towards the mission she was groomed for.

A must-see movie!
March 11, 2010
Very good cinematography
December 20, 2009
After all these years, I still find this really low budget film one of the best cinema experience.
½ October 16, 2009
great & real about the affects of love on one's perspective of priorities in life... without love, one's life might seem all for naught but with love, one might do anything to live... very capitivating, intense & current... Ayesha Dharker was fantastic...
½ October 16, 2009
this beautiful and suspenseful film will keep you on the edge of your seat from beginning to the end... highly recommended.
August 25, 2009
Yet another masterpiece from Santosh sivan. May be too beautiful for the subject its dealing with. Watch it at least for its cinematography.
May 16, 2009
This is a movie that famously took on a new relevance after the September 11th attacks. The film is about a woman who?s a member of a Siri Lankan terrorist group almost certainly based on the Tamil Tigers. Early on, the woman is assigned to assassinate someone by suicide bombing; the rest of the film follows her as she begins to have doubts about her task. The film was shot on a very small budget and this shows some times, there?s a scene where someone punches through a window but they don?t actually show it, presumably because they couldn?t afford break away glass. In spite of this, the film has beautiful cinematography (the director was originally a DP), and that goes a long way in making this very watchable on a shoe-string. A very interesting film on important subject matter.
April 21, 2009
A film that is as beautifully shot as Slumdog Millionaire in my opinion. The naturally beautiful female lead is a sight to behold (this film would have gone much further if there had been a few tastefully nude shots for every shower scenes, one must 'suffer' for art/a cause right?). Although I was disappointed by the films end, I applaud everyone involved in this movie who managed to deliver a difficult and complicated subject matter in such a simple manner. I definitely recommend viewing this film even though I am fully aware that it will not be everyone's cup of tea.