The Terrorist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Terrorist Reviews

April 20, 2009
I still don't know if this was based on true events...I read the back of the case before watching the movie and it made it sound as though it was - it also seemed to give away the ending but it turns out it didn't. I was surprised by the end and at first I didn't like it but the more I thought about it the more I did like it.
½ January 15, 2009
The cinematography of the film is certainly immersive, able to carry the plot while relying very little on actual spoken dialogue. The film does a remarkable job of exploring a touchy psychological phenomenon without making political commentary, a trait that makes this film a valuable piece of work that willl age well.

I was not a fan of the soundtrack at all, as it was often obstructive to the subtle presentations being put forward on screen. The cinematography's extensive reliance on extreme close-ups, plus a blunt musical track, is contradictory to what is otherwise an understated, open-ended psychological tour. The styles of the film ultimately got in the way in my eye.
½ December 11, 2008
What a visually-stunning and cinematographic work of genius. Sivan's brilliant camerawork, use of extreme close-ups, and even the intense focus of the camera as we watch drops of water or beads of sweat fall from the protagonist's hair and brow. Dhakrer's performance is haunting and just as intense as Sivan's camera: both work together in such amazing ways, making this film a pure work of art, putting politics aside to center on Dharker's character's psychological journey with an empathy the sheer closeness of shots drives home.
July 22, 2008
This was a movie I waited a long time to see. I was excited about it when I heard about it and then forgot about it for a while. Added it when I first got netfilx then lost in in the 200+ queue. Finally, saw it and it took a bit to get into, but a great movie. A parallel, yet great divergence to a movie like Paradise Now, but more so, beautifully filmed/photographed. Only problem I had was jump cut pacing and the need to fill the movie with random music/noises. That really bothers me.
½ May 24, 2008
I think the greatest strengths of this movie was Ayesha Dharker's preformance and the cinematography.The story was too individualised and romanticised.
February 24, 2008
It's been a long time since I watched this so I can't remember exactly what it was that I liked, but I know it made it into my journal of movies to watch again or recommend to others.
½ January 13, 2008
Very well shot and cinematic film following the journey of a suicide bomber. Quite effective by not really touching on the politics, making the purpose of the action quite irrelevant as more than a way of life, tho there are parts where you wonder if suicide bombing is really such a painstaking process...
January 12, 2008
gripping. ayesha dharker emotes with minimal dialogues.
January 7, 2008
The Director and cinematographer Satosh Sivan used a lot of reflections like water, mirror, photos and super close up... quite interesting! haha
½ December 31, 2007
Indian film about a 19 year old girl who is chosen to be a suicide bomber. I didn't find this to be as good as the more recent Paradise Now, which is probably down to it being a bit more manipulative. Admittedly I don't think the manipulation was that conscious but Paradise Now was just a touch better and had a bit more meat to it. All that said the cinematography was as good as you will find anywhere.
December 26, 2007
Been wanting to see this for some time.
½ December 26, 2007
Saw it years ago & still I can remember this movie! It was made by one of my favorite cinematographer Santosh Sivan. Now a days it is rare to find Sivan working for a bollywood movie. It is hard to believe a director like Sivan is missing from the spot. Hope to get the maker of 'The Terrorist' soon again.
December 10, 2007
Really well made movie with good casting and nice soundtrack.

Paradise Now is a similar film to this but this is a much better peice of work.
December 3, 2007
Brilliant movie,the way it is shot it creates a cocoon world around you and then makes you watch the protagonist's life from a subjective view..its totally riveting,mesmerizing...great job by Mr.Sivan!
November 21, 2007
Haunting and dream-like. I was struggling to make sense of everything -- like in a dream -- not as a fault of the filmmaker, but because it evokes the state of mind of the main character aptly. Brilliant.
November 5, 2007
The most beautiful, tormented, and engaging film I've ever seen. The director Santosh Sivan started off as a cinematographer and effortlessly managed to pour emotion into each frame of the film. This is by far my favourite film. Nothing else even compares to it.
October 31, 2007
this is such a visually appealing film. one of the most engaging films i've seen. it's a shame that more people haven't seen it.
October 28, 2007
Very difficult decisions are made in this film about life and death.
October 21, 2007
A film about the Sri Lankan conflict with a real heart to it.