Malena Reviews

• Sep 16, 2019

Una hermosa película de Guiseppe Tornatore junto de una preciosa banda sonora del grande Ennio Morricone, nos ponemos en la situación de Renato, un niño de 12 años platonicamente enamorado de Malena, una mujer de 27 años que ha pasado por el resiente separo de su marido a una semana de su boda. Veremos las decisiones de Malena a través de los ojos de Renato y como a su vez una mujer sin suficiente carácter, ni fuerza de voluntad, se deja vencer por las objetivaciones de todo el pueblo, y sus decisiones por haber nacido maldita por una belleza casi irracional, llevan a que a su vez dañen la precoz pero noble visión de Renato de ella, la mujer que quiso por ver mas allá de lo que todos veían.

• Aug 08, 2019

"Malena" shows how society defines women through the prism of their sexuality and sexual desrability. The main character's destiny is shaped by men's sexual desire towards her. In the movie, sexual desire fuels agression towards women: teenage boys make very crude comments and jokes about Malena to deal with their sexual frustration, more mature men are delighted when the object of their desire has to resort to prostitution to support herself after her husband's and father's death (no woman in town will hire Malena or let her husband take her on for fear of competition). Malena shows a life shaped and destroyed by lust. In all this gloom, there is a glimmer of hope brought on by Renato's undying love for the woman. It's a great movie, a must-watch.

• May 10, 2019

On my top list always and the the scoring is sublime. Critics can stuff i this film is beautiful.

• May 02, 2019

This movie was such a pleasure to watch. The charming Italian location, the innocence of Renato, the mystery of Malena, and the symbolism all collided perfectly. This movie starts off harmless, focusing on Renato's fascination with Malena and her beauty but takes a dark turn when we see what Malena has to go through. I certainly enjoyed this movie and the message it brought however there were moments where I felt there was a bit of context missing. Overall an amazing movie I would watch again.

• Apr 24, 2019

Delicious in every way. A favourite!

Delicious in every way. A favourite!

• Apr 21, 2019

love the last scene, the music also perfectly fits the feeling. although it seems that malena is the focus of the whole movie, renato's genuine love is what made everything possible and extremely beautiful.

• Jan 24, 2019

i want to see this movie

i want to see this movie

• Dec 13, 2018

Great Movie. Great Story and Great Narration. Just to state the fact that this movie produces in abundance feelings of passion , lust , romance , humor, anger ,extreme pathos and sadness will still dilute the actual poignancy and thrill this movie produces. It is a great different feeling - that this movie gives. Monica Belluci - exquisite delicate beauty and acting in one. Renato Amoroso - amazing. Giuseppe Tornatore - Great director - what an engrossing emotional drama he has woven?. Though we get to see the movie through the eyes of Renato , Renato himself tries to view everything in Malena's eyes , so to speak and that's the beauty. Renato shares Malena's feelings, her sadness and the injustice meted out to her.Great I rate this 10 out of 10. A definite delicacy!

• Nov 10, 2018

This is far too saccharine for my taste. Set in Sicily during the war it's the story of a young adolescent's unrequited love for the town beauty, Malena. Since she's 27 and he's 12 there's never any serious suggestion that something might happen between them, indeed apart from a couple of words right at the end they never even speak. Instead, virtually the entire film consists of the kid spying and eavesdropping on her - he's forever looking through holes in the wall or peeking from behind a tree or pillar, and so - since he never does anything but watch and listen - the film is effectively the story of snippets of Malena's life, told without any direct insight into what's going on since we're always, like the kid, at a distance from her. After a while this format starts to be rather frustrating, and puts severe limits on the extent to which you can identify with the characters, though naturally there's a certain amount of sympathy with Malena, who's the subject of plenty of unwelcome attention from the men and malicious gossip from the town's women. Since the kid doesn't really experience much except fragments of this woman's life it's pretty hard to call it a coming-of-age film either; essentially it's just the portrayal of a young teenager's erotic fantasy, which is rather a flimsy premise for a feature film. It's beautifully shot in Tornatore's glossy Merchant-Ivory style with a romantic Morricone score, but the hole where a protagonist should be isn't something you can cover up, however impressive the production values.

• Aug 30, 2018

I thought this film was interesting if one viewed Malena as an allegory for the spirit of Italy and the film as a portrayal of 'her' treatment during the years of fascism.