Chocolat - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chocolat Reviews

September 26, 2016
Gentile and comical but without big laughs, and with inspired casting makes this leave a sweet aftertaste in your soul.
September 19, 2016
A small, highly-conservative village receives a new visitor who opens a chocolate shop and refuses to live up to their moralistic standards. She is one part Pollyanna and one part Mary Poppins, which is an interesting combo and at first I was intrigued. I loved the magical nature of her talents and the way that she was able to sweeten people's lives through the power of chocolate. The growth of the townsfolk, and how the candy (and candy maker) impacted them was so much fun. Then somewhere along the way it was as if the magic was sucked out of the movie. Vianne became an average crappy mother who drags her child from place to place, because of some strange superstition or curse that I didn't fully understand. She started to get discouraged, and even her "magical" powers diminished. The premise was so strong in the beginning, but it spiraled downhill for a significant portion of the film before course-correcting right at the end. The film includes a ton of glamour shots of chocolate candy-making, so be warned your appetite will be increased when watching Chocolat. Despite the flaws, it's a cute movie, and would probably be as comforting as a warm cup of cocoa, but it loses the magic touch that I thought made it great in the first half.
½ August 30, 2016
It'll suffice for 2 hours entertainment thanks to fun characters and a good score, but Chocolat's lack of direction and reason to exist as a film will leave you craving a more satisfying movie.
August 9, 2016
Watching Chocolat made me really want to eat chocolate and it made me sleepy - that's about it. I understand why people like this movie, however I am definitely not part of the target audience. The performances are good - I think the cast did a fine job. It's the story and the pacing that lost me. Seriously, though, does anyone have some chocolate that I can eat?
July 26, 2016
A well crafted film that flirts with the edge of temptation. Chocolat was a charming romance with a deep message.
½ July 10, 2016
Juliette Binoche, Carrie Anne Moss, Alfred Molina and Judi Dench are great. Johnny Depp is, um, well, Johnny Depp. Funny and poignant story.
½ July 9, 2016
As sweet and as indulging as the richest of Vianne's truffles, "Chocolat" is a delightfully original narrative that is simultaneously funny, smart, and tender.
May 30, 2016
I've watched this a hundred times.
April 12, 2016
This is a quirky, ambling romantic comedy featuring Juliette Binoche and Johnny Depp.

Vianne is a wandering magical chocolate maker who tries to help the people in her new town (a French village of a bygone era). Comte de Reynaud, played by Alfred Molina, is a control freak who wants everyone in town to do and live as he says, go to church, and strictly observe lent. Vianne goes to "war" against the local count, and tempts the townspeople to break lent by eating her chocolate. Vianne's romance with Roux takes a little while to get going and is a pleasant reward for her all her efforts.

Director Lasse Hallstrom has a very humanistic perspective that he manages to share. He touches on many topics: religion, freedom, domestic violence, the need for children to have roots, grandparent/grandchild relationships, forgiveness, tolerance, second chances... There are a bunch of little life lessons thrown into this, especially to treat others with compassion and tolerance.
March 26, 2016
Lighthearted and fluffy to a fault, Chocolat may not be the deepest nor the most thought provoking film out there, but it's certainly a "treat" for all those who want a funny, delightful and sweet film.
½ March 6, 2016
A lovely little film :-)
March 2, 2016
A very good movie worth seeing
February 11, 2016
Johnny Depp is here to take the squeak out of your door. Thank god.
February 2, 2016
Just watched this a second time and it got better. Maybe it helps that I was raised Catholic, in an Italian home. Don't miss this one!
January 17, 2016
Chocolat is charming and mystic. It is a different kind of fairytale.
Juliette Binoche is perfect.
December 27, 2015
Oon muistaakseni nähnyt tän elokuvan ensimmäisen kerran elokuvateatterissa, tykkäsin jo silloin. Suklaata ja Johnny Deppiä, mikä ihana yhdistelmä! <3 :P (Suom. Pieni suklaapuoti)
½ December 10, 2015
Terrible film. Pure goo. Silly, superficial, unintelligent.
½ October 15, 2015
Another one of those movies, that I didn't expect to play the way it did. Great characters, with interesting history!
September 4, 2015
its a great movie when you're high
August 5, 2015
Very pleasant movie to watch.