Traffic - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Traffic Reviews

August 18, 2015
"Traffic" combines a unique visual technique with interwoven stories chronicling the war on drugs; and how it effects both sides of the border, professionally and personally. This truly is a film of great substance, great acting, great style, and, above all...great significance.
August 10, 2015
The all star ensemble cast is spectacular.
They say drag issue is deeply rooted and cannot be easily solved. In 'Traffic', each character struggle in his/her own fight without anyone making clear cut.
One of the reason the drug issue is deep rooted is that the drugs are breeding ground of illegal business as well as their dependency. There is an opinion to legalize drugs to reduce violent crimes because cracking down on illegal activities in the US only results in increase of illegal business in Mexico and other countries as well as related violent crimes in the US.
July 31, 2015
Brilliant and thought-provoking, Traffic is no masterpiece, but it is certainly a well made film, realistically exposing the war on drugs
½ July 11, 2015
Traffic is a very honest movie about the war on drugs and was a far more-deserving candidate for the Best Picture Academy Award than the vastly inferior, Gladiator.
½ June 21, 2015
El principio es un poco dificil pero conforme avanza el tiempo te adentras mas y mas en cada una de las historias, gracias al excelente trabajo actoral y al director, todos los personajes tienen un gran peso es la pelicula.
June 11, 2015
Excellent movie. It's long but worthy story lines makes it ok.
June 3, 2015
It's missing some things but it's hard to say.
½ June 3, 2015
I wanted to fuck Benicio Del Toro after this movie.
May 25, 2015
If you can get past the use of filters in this film, it's pretty terrific and well rounded. There's a lot going on - multiple storyline threads that weave and intersect, and probing dialogue with a clear, overarching theme. It's not an easy watch, but it's one in which I couldn't look away - all of the pieces clicked.
½ May 18, 2015
Thought provoking film on the issue of the "war on drugs." I enjoyed picking out the influences. Godard and Altman especially. I ultimately didn't connect too closely to the film since it appeared to be a jumbled series of vignettes on why the problem of drugs is essentially impenetrable (and the war on drugs hurts, not helps the issue). I agree with that assessment, but that doesn't mean I enjoy an exhaustively long and overly ambitious drama film trying to teach this to me. I applaud Soderbergh's audacity in creating such a large and complex film about an issue that is typically only a glamorized accessory in cinema, but in the end the film didn't much for me personally.
April 28, 2015
Steven Soderbergh is one talented artistic man. This epic and gritty crime drama has some of the best writing I have ever seen in film since Pulp Fiction, with fine performances including an Oscar winning performance by Benicio Del Toro. A very realistic look at how illegal drugs are destroying lives and families. A very powerful film. 5 out of 5 stars.
April 22, 2015
86%
Saw this on 21/4/15
Traffic is a well made film from director Steven Soderbergh that has good acting, versatile story and fine cinematography. It's cast is one of it's best features, however, it is slightly predictable despite the thrills that it provides.
April 2, 2015
It had it's moments but reluctantly I admit this movie would has lots of lapses in the script. Wish it would have been much more intense.
February 22, 2015
Complex, intelligent, and thought-provoking, Traffic is an ambitious feat by Steven Soderberg who directs this large cast and interweaving storylines with aplomb. Instead of making it a derivative good guys vs. bad guys tale of drugs, Soderberg opts to study the moral gray areas of drugs and politics, while treating every character like the flawed, imperfect humans they are.
½ January 14, 2015
My Rating: 4.5/5 stars; Grade: A-; Gesture: Two Thumbs Up; Status: Significantly Terrific (Fresh); Emoticon: :-D.
January 11, 2015
Review In A Nutshell:

Steven Soderbergh is one of those who could take any topic, and tell a story with it; how I personally feel about each one however is variable. I was not so compelled with the previous film, or "films", that I have seen from the director, which was the epic biographical tale of Che. Though even with that, I came into Traffic with a positive mindset, hoping the experience would be similar to the wonderful and exhaustive Contagion or the emotionally gripping and mesmerising King of the Hill; Traffic leans more towards the former, acting as a landscape painting of drugs in America.

The film tackles multiple aspects of the subject, similar to Contagion, and tells it with precise editing, that lets the experience feel smooth and the connections between the tales, slowly becoming clearer as time passes. Soderbergh has a gift in taking large and epic premises, and make them feel small and intimate. Traffic is more concerned on the characters rather than the bigger picture; it shows how drugs change them, motivate them, and crush them.

I did however wish that some of the film's stories were told better, as some felt limp and lacking of excitement as compared to its siblings; some characters felt a bit underdeveloped, only revealing more of themselves during the latter aspects of the film; an example would be Don Cheadle or Benicio Del Toro's characters. Dennis Quaid's character was barely even touched. I would have preferred it if Soderbergh built all of its characters more consistently and with equal concentration. If there was a character that never disengaged me, it would be Michael Douglas's character; watching his story unfold, balancing work and family, and how both are connected to the film's subject, left me in constant thought of not just the character but the larger ideas behind it.

Steven Soderbergh is slowly becoming one of my favourite directors, an artist who leaves a certain trademark in the way he handles its stories and characters, but never repeating the same subjects. He is one of the few directors who could create ensemble films and manages to get at least 90% of its core characters respectfully explored; unlike others who would have their actors drift in and out, leaving something little as a scratch in the minds of its audience.
½ January 7, 2015
One of the most moving films about the underground battles of modern-day America. It seems to unbiasedly depict every angle of America's war on drugs, and features some unforgettable performances. Definitely one of my favorites.
January 3, 2015
Eric Foreman chilling in Vista Cruiser
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
A very well made drama movie with a bunch of famous actors like Benicio Del Toro , Michael Dogulas and Catherine Zeta-Jones to name a few.. This one actually won 4 Oscars so its certainly a popular movie. The story focus on many characters in the same main thread ,, drugs / war against drugs. Interesting to follow altho it can feel slow time to time atleast for me. I have seen many similar movies and this deserves a place with the top ones.
December 22, 2014
Trying out an ambitious method of storytelling in film with really good cast and the performances they'd delivered resulted successfully for director Soderbergh on another hit within the same year of his previous better hit "Erin Brockovich."

But this hit is so far his least of his works that I've seen so far. The only topic to make his vision to work was to present three different sides of the drug war - a war on disgusting, sickening, dumb drugs that people stupidly deciding to take and minimizing their lives in each dose. Okay this isn't a flaw, but I just like to point it out when watching a live dose is a disgusting sight of unhealthy.

"Traffic" is enjoyable by the cast and their performances following an ambitious format, but it's not at the same level of Soderbergh's other works due to a few decision making to the direction turned unresolved and not being appealing. (B+)

(Full review coming soon)