Down to Earth - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Down to Earth Reviews

May 26, 2016
A black comic dies and is given a new body but.....it's white.
½ February 16, 2016
The script is as lifeless as the character.
January 22, 2016
A very terrible film.
½ January 7, 2016
Critics Consensus is pretty much spot on, but it also felt like a thrown-together plot to get to a ten-minute Chris Rock stand-up set at the end.
½ June 2, 2015
not a bad movie. Chris rock puts on a pretty fun over the top performance I mean cmon. Chris rock dies and comes back to earth as a white man doesn't that sound pretty fun. although this movie could have been so much better and I mean so much better but its still a fun time waster
May 31, 2015
Down to Earth is funny in some parts, interesting in others, but mostly mediocre. I feel like the pg-13 rating restricted Chris Rock.
February 2, 2015
Chris Rock tries to keep this uninspired update of Here Comes Mr. Jordan afloat.
October 13, 2014
Lance Barton is a struggling comic who rides home on his bike gets distracted and gets hit and killed by a bus. He was suppose to survive and since his body was already disposed if he gets put in an old rich mans body. But he wants to return to his normal self and continue with his comedic career and go after a girl he fell in love with. The plot is absurd but with the decent cast you have in the movie it seems to work out well. Chris Rock was pretty funny but it seens most of the laughs came from Wanda Sykes. Eugene Levy was pretty funny too. You can always count on him for sone good laughs. So it was a pretty funny movie but there just were a few chessy parts. You know you enjoyed the movie if you laughed and you get a few good ones viewing this.
½ August 16, 2014
(First viewing - Teen years)
August 2, 2014
well ummmm just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch......its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie.....i think that chris rock, regina king, chazz palminteri, eugene levy, frankie faison (from the brilliant tv series the wire), play good roles/parts throughout this movie......i think that the director of this comedy/drama movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie......its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie.....i think that mark addy (from the brilliant tv series the thin blue line), was really funny throughout this movie......i think that eugene levy was good throughout this movie......i think that this is such a really funny movie 2 watch....it is such a really enjoyable romantic comedy movie 2 watch its got a good cast throughout this movie its such a really funny movie 2 watch its got a good cast throughout this movie its a really funny movie 2 watch its got a good cast throughout this movie......its such a really funny comedy movie 2 watch with a good cast throughout this movie.......

A soundtrack containing hip hop and R&B music was released on February 20, 2001 by Sony Music Entertainment. It peaked at 71 on the Billboard 200 and 64 on the Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums.

Down to Earth received negative reviews. On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has a score of 20% based on reviews from 96 critics, with the consensus: "A toned down Chris Rock fails to bring a limp script to life as the movie moves from one gag to the next."At Metacritic, which assigns a weighted average score out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, the film received an average score of 34 based on 28 reviews, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews".

i think that this is such a really funny movie 2 watch with a good cast throughout this movie.....
½ July 2, 2014
Another remake that doesn't bring it.
June 9, 2014
This was actually a lot better and a lot funnier than I'd expected it to be.
½ May 20, 2014
Nice for the first 30 minutes, then under the average comic movie.
April 17, 2014
this is one of the funniest films I have ever seen the best bit is at the start because the film starts with comedy.
½ October 6, 2013
A bland, unfunny comedy.
August 13, 2013
Chris Rock is a funny man. So why do all of his movies suck?
½ March 31, 2013
Should go down the toilet
March 17, 2013
I remember liking this lol REVISIT!
½ January 20, 2013
Down to Earth is just another silly comedy that I would rather not watch by being such a cliche. Everyone thinks that this is a fresh comedy with an amazingly written plot, bla, bla, bla, this movie has been already made with a diferent development, cause I see mixed up movies in here, all of them and I don't know wich was the first movie in the world like this that made millions of silly director creating comedies like this that make us want to shut up and don't call it a movie. This movie is just a piece of crap, envolved with the romance, it just gets worst and much more lame. I'm not going to lie about the fact that I laughed a few times while I was watching it, but a couple of nice jokes don't save the disaster that this movie is. If you haven't watched this movie, then leave your movie resumate like that, don't watch this at any time, cause it's no worth it's like they mixed up several cliches in a bottle and then mixed up a new script that just looks like a bit of pepper. Don't watch this movie, it's like you already watched it in separated parts, I really didn't like this movie and the only good thing that I can say about it is that I laughed a few times and that's good, but the rest of the movie isn't. Bad movie.

Chris Weitz and Paul Weitz are the two brothers who direct this movie, I know that they were both nominated for Oscar but I don't know if it was before or after directing this crap, because every time I hear about these two fellows, I will never forget that they have directed this crap and they must be stupid to direct a comedy like this that leaves me angry by being equal to another cliched comedies. Chris Rock takes the lead role and he didn't had neither a fine perfomance or character but yes he was funny, sure he was a bit taken by the movie's obvious cliche but he was very funny here and he made me laugh out loud one or two times. Chris is a great and funny actor that shows that how bad the crap is, he can still make us laugh, and not just twise, Chris is known from Grown Ups, You Don't Mess With the Zohan, The Longest Yard and some other movies. Sow, I rephuse to talk about the rest of the cast, cause besides the sort of cameos that are not perfect, the rest of the cast is just not that funny, even though it wasn't a total flaw, they were unnecessary, evenn though there was one or two okay perfomances they stil could have picked some nice and funny actors like they did with Christ, who was a great choise, the rest of the cast was just unnecessary.

Lance Barton (Chris Rock) is an aspiring comediant who dies in a certain night. He gets to heaven and after knowing that he wasn't suppossed to die that die, he has givin a chance to return to earth in a new body, George Valentine's body, the 15th richest man on earth who is unliked by most of the people who know him. He will have his ups and downs back there, but he will also get back to stand-up comedy as a huge hit and he will also fall in love with Sontee (Regina King), but he has got to be prepared, because his body was just supposed to be temporary until he gets a better one, like he said, and another thing, he should have picked a black body, he could avoy some problems that he will have to handle.(What I thought about the plot) I thought that the plot is just a simple defenition of the word crap. The plot is not fresh at all and who thinks that must be out of is mind, the plot really sucked and I'm sure that who wrote it, have must been inspired by watching a cliche comedy every day. Awful cliche plot.

Soundtrack, well, I don't remember to be any soundtrack, any theme or anything like that and they did pick some songs but nothing to talk about.

Besides all that, I am now going to tell you what I really thouht about this movie. First of all, I never watched this movie's trailer, if someone talked me about it's name I wouldn't recognize it that easy, I think that the poster would be the only source of making me understand what movie is it, I just watched this movie cause I had nothing to watch and I decided to give it a try, but even though it had a 5.1 on IMDb, I didn't know it was going to be this bad. This movie just shows that there's still lots of directors who don't know how to distinguish a great comedy movie (Horrible Bosses, The Hangover, The Change-Up, The Hangover Part 2, etc.) from a total cliche that lots of people have watched before. Honestly, I can't even think of a person who's dumb enough to give this movie a higher rating than this, from a one to ten scale, I probably wouldn't give it a 5 but yes probably a 4.5, cause this movie doesn't even leave us confortable on calling it average. Overall, this is just another cliche comedy that I don't recommend, don't waste your time on this, this movie just has an average cast, an awful plot and it's not that entertaining. Good thing from it: You'll probably laugh a few times. Bad thing from it: It's awful. Bad.

Bad movie. Not that recommeded movie. Grade: C-.