Southern Comfort - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Southern Comfort Reviews

May 23, 2013
Intimate look at a very tough subject.
July 17, 2012
Kate Davis' documentary shines a light on a corner of the world that turns out to be no different than that of the mainstream.
February 20, 2012
This film felt more like a love story with tribulations than an activist documentary. I wish more people made documentaries like this. Sometimes just letting a story tell itself has a much deeper impact than preaching.
December 13, 2010
Heartbreaking story about the female-to-male transsexual Robert Eads that suffered from ovarian cancer and was refused treatment by 20 different doctors only becuase of his transsexuality. Instead of worrying about his cancer he lives the remainder of his life with his two families - his biological family with parents, two sons and a grandson and his manufactured one consisting of his two female-to-male "sons" Max and Cass and his girlfriend Lola, a male-to-female transsexual that he's, ironically, falling head over heels in love with.
I don't know how to express how sad it is that everyone can't be accepted as they are and for who they are. You know what the worst thing is? This is a documentary. This happened.
½ November 21, 2010
Extremely sad film about a transman dying of ovarian cancer and his small adopted family of trans people. the film lacks context- about how these people survive in the conservative rural south and how they attain (or are rejected) medical treatment. lola remains an enigma as well. the film's generosity towards its subjects is appropriate given the sensitive, painful subject matter.
½ March 11, 2010
Had to watch this for a comm class. It was sad in parts, but very offensive to me. I wouldn't have watched this in any other situation. I don't know quite what to say.
January 3, 2010
Amazing This is like the gay uncle you wish you had this is real down to earth people .. this film makes you wanna live in the country or go camping lol I rilly wanted to sit at their bonfire and drink a cold beer ;p!
½ December 8, 2009
Eye-opening and wonderful. Shows the complexity of the real world, how gender roles aren't as structured as they seem, but can still come into play. Really interesting and enjoyable.
½ August 4, 2009
Absolutely fascinating and yet heartbreaking documentary about a female-to-male post-operative transexual who is dying from female cancer. He gets a chance to say goodbye to everyone he loves but it's heartbreaking to watch. Very interesting to see the interviews with transexuals in various stages make their observations on this man who touched all their lives.
July 18, 2009
This movie/documentary follows a man who becomes ill, and eventually dies, from cancer. Cervical cancer, to be exact. Because Robert's a FtM transsexual. In part the movie examines the prejudices people in the medical world often have towards transsexuals - if they'd given Robert the hysterectomy he'd wanted, chances are he'd still be with us. It's very touching and very sad.
June 18, 2009
A must see, especially for your friends with questions about transgendered individuals. Heartbreaking but infinitely poignant.
½ May 1, 2009
watched this in my women's studies class. verry good and thought provoking about gender and medical care. but also very sad
December 14, 2008
Amazing, touching story.
July 8, 2008
A touching, inside look at the transgender community and a man dying of ovarian cancer. A very moving look at the prejudice and discrimination faced by trans people.
July 5, 2008
A heartbreaking, yet beautifully touching documentary about a F-M transgender living in the Midwest. Truly a wonderful film that explores in depth the prejudice and discrimination faced as well as the love and support that can be found within the trans community.
½ July 3, 2008
Fascinating, but you really have to be open-minded to appreciate a lot of it.
June 29, 2008
Interesting and heartfelt, but it starts to lose a lot of steam towards the end. Pacing becomes dragged out, unintentionally, I think.
May 27, 2008
really gets at gender...fabulous, courageous...
May 6, 2008
A very touching documentary that is sad, happy, loving, appalling, and funny. A great story told by great people just willing to share their lives and their tragedies with the world. Everybody should see this film!