Lorna Doone Reviews

• May 29, 2016

A wonderful movie! I enjoyed it thoroughly. It was entertaining but not unbelievable. The acting was great and one feels complete sympathy towards John Ridd's plight. Carver and other Doone's are terrible right from the beginning and remain so throughout the movie, yet one can feel some sympathy towards the fact that they lost the land that was rightfully theirs, though that does not redeem them from their crimes. Lorna was compelling throughout, and her continuous refusal of Carver was brave. The fight scenes were enjoyable but not filled with gore and the romance was not overdone. Overall this is one period movie I truly enjoyed to watch.

• Jan 21, 2012

Just......love <333333333333333

Just......love <333333333333333

• Oct 04, 2011

Loved it. A lovely romance and adventure movie. Haven't read the book so I cannot compare it.

• Cynthia S Super Reviewer
    Sep 14, 2010

EXCELLENT! This movie was well done, well acted, and absolutely wonderful! I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys a great historical fiction drama/romance movie.

• Sep 05, 2010

A great rendition of a classic. Well acted, the romance was sweet (and as unbelievable as in the book), and the battles made my husband happy.

• Feb 03, 2010

Coyle and Warner were decent; Gillen was horrible, or at least he was horribly miscast. I can understand how in a book this story could be a great epic but this version did not have the emotion or show the depth that is needed for a story to truly be epic. Lots of awkward scenes. The ending felt like a dream sequence; it went so fast.

• Aug 29, 2009

I so wanted to like this (remembering the Richard Greene movie) but the pace, the schlock Hollywood dialogue and the lack of depth ultimately destroyed this. You feel nothing for the leads, it is a mystery why he falls for Lorna (or him for that matter) as the story doesn't weave any magic in the earlier scenes. Judges Jeffreys as comic relief ? Get real.

• Jul 07, 2009

Enjoyed the story, cast was okay, acting okay.

Enjoyed the story, cast was okay, acting okay.

• Jun 26, 2009

Quite an enjoyable movie. The acting was believable, the art direction was good and overall, it was a good experience. The director makes some great choices with the two families and he works hard to make them seem like similar people in unfortunate circumstances. However, the Doones tend to look a little more... malevolent due to the fact that they are always dressed in black. But I still sympathized with the outlaw family because their lands were taken. At points I hated the aristocracy more for being so incredibly blind to the plights of both of the families. Never the less, the character of Carter seems to have no redeeming qualities what so ever. To the very end of the film he's stubborn, obnoxious and irresponsible. Not to mention extremely cruel. Its forgivable to have an absolute villain though, lots of movies do it these day. The action was pretty intense. The dialog falters in a couple spots, but overall it does well enough to carry the movie through. I'd recommend watching it if you're in the mood for a well rounded period piece.

• Apr 15, 2009

Not too bad but not too great. Nice couple though and a happy ending thank goodness.