The Lost Son Reviews

• Jan 29, 2012

"8MM," with a plot so similar, came out the same year, but this film is more interesting and believable and less dark. Daniel Auteuil gives a commanding performance.

• Sep 04, 2011

An iInteresting and well told little tale. The story is intriguing and the main selling point of the film. Following Xavier on his journey as he tracks down the lost son of the title is genuinely gripping. The subject of child abuse is always a difficult one to tackle but they do a pretty good job here. Where the film falls down is in the characters who for the most part are cliched and dull, requiring the cast to really sell themselves. Luckily, with the likes of Auteuil, Kinski and Hinds on hand, they can pull that off most of the time. Overall, this is a thougtful and engaging tale.....

• Dec 12, 2010

Not a bad effort and tackling a strong subject within a mainstream framework. Some of the characters don't always feel genuine, but this is not too detrimental to the film.

• Dec 01, 2010

Pulsating thriller exploring some quite dark territory. Daniel Auteuil is great in everything I have seen him in.

• Jun 05, 2010

This is a taut well-told story with a very good cast. The story is dark-themed, fast moving, with more than a few twists, and a good deal of violence. Daniel Auteuil is excellent as a transplanted (to London) French detective who is very much in the mold of Sam Spade. His character is world weary, more than a little corrupt, tougher than he looks, and fearless in pursuit once he is committed to tracking down an evil-doer. The supporting cast also does a fine job, especially Ciaran Hinds as the old friend who involves the detective in the case. Highly recommended to all thriller or mystery fans.

• Jan 13, 2010

I didn't know Taken was a remake until I saw this. Dealing with pre-teens, this film is far creepier, also, this is R while Taken kowtowed to the PG-13. It's not a bad movie, but it has many slow parts and the score leaves much to be desired. Good directing.

• Dec 11, 2009

I found it a hard film to get involved in, perhaps it?s slow pace contributed to that. The performances are rich and nicely developed, very good score. The story can be a little disturbing at times, but too often I was bored.

• Dec 11, 2009

I found it a hard film to get involved in, perhaps it’s slow pace contributed to that. The performances are rich and nicely developed, very good score. The story can be a little disturbing at times, but too often I was bored.

• Jan 26, 2009

All I know about this film is that it's scary as hell. Imagine if someone close to you is kidnapped and fucked by some kind of freak. I would go insane. You may think it's like Human Trafficking, but it's far different from any of the movies I have ever seen. It's incredible that Chris Menges did it within 2 hours. I'm sure it's going to be about 3 hours if Michael Mann directed. One of the elements made this movie is Katrin Cartlidge. It's a shame that we can't see her anymore. It was too late when I realized how great she was. As far as I know it's the most scary film I have ever seen.

• Mar 12, 2008

I would simply describe The Lost Son (Le Perdue Fils) as a somewhat, more audience-friendly version of (David) Fincher's 8mm. Somewhat...