Ace in the Hole (The Big Carnival) Reviews

• Mar 27, 2019

A masterpiece that, one can say, is ahead of its time, foreseeing a media culture that was popularised and perfected in later years.

• Mar 19, 2019

On one critic's alternative list as the greatest American movie ever made. One of Spielberg's go to film's before mounting a project. A cynical expose of a media circus, and those who feed it.

• Jan 26, 2019

The best, GREATEST movie ever made!

The best, GREATEST movie ever made!

• Mar 24, 2018

A dark, thought provoking story about a news reporter who moves to New Mexico and makes a breakthrough story featuring a man trapped in a mine cave in. When I first heard about this movie I thought it was one of those lost survival stories and was immediately hooked, although my assumption was very wrong I was not at all disappointed with Ace In The Hole. All of the acting is brilliant and the perfect character arc Kirk Douglas' character who goes from an ambitious reporter to using the trapped man for his own financial gain, there are no heroes in Ace In The Hole and that is what makes it so interesting. It is a study on the dark side of humanity, namely greed and desire. A very well made classic and should be more recognised in my opinion.

• Nov 12, 2017

Kirk Douglas as a cynical reporter builds a story by leaving man in caved-in mine.

• Sep 09, 2017

Despite a crackling screenplay and a characteristically strong and laconic central performance by Kirk Douglas, this cynical portrait of media and small-town corruption is too long and uneventful to earn its reputation. Throughout one has the feeling that the characters are there to illustrate a rather obvious point, hammered over and over again. A good score by Hugo Friedhofer provides the emotional heartbeat missing elsewhere.

• Jul 16, 2017

All the President's Men is the gold standard of movies about journalism. This one isn't bad. It brings up some good questions about the role of a newspaper man and the ethical line he repeatedly crosses. Kirk Douglas commands the screen in a very intense performance. The parts I didn't like as much were when they strayed from the journalism aspect into things like the relationship with Leo's wife. And it goes a little bit too far into melodrama at the end. But it's a movie that feels relevant even 66 years later.

• Jun 27, 2017

Chuck Tatum is an experienced newspaper reporter, having worked on several different publications on the East Coast. Having made a few enemies out East and desperate for any work, he gets a job at a small newspaper in Albuquerque, New Mexico. He figures that one day a big story will come along and this will be his ticket back into a big city newspaper. However, after a year nothing has happened and he is very frustrated. Then he stumbles across the plight of a man trapped in a cave, and he turns it into something big, and ongoing... Great drama on the manipulative power of the media. Chuck Tatum personifies all that is wrong with the media - the lies, the over-dramatization, the influencing of the story when they should just be observers, the lack of ethics. Also shows how easily lead and herded the average person is, and how people are happy to treat life-threatening danger to others as something for their amusement. Wonderfully written and directed by Billy Wilder, with some great detail that lesser directors would not have thought of (the escalating prices of admission to the park always made me laugh!). While Tatum's actions are reprehensible, his Machiavellian manipulations are so brilliant that you admire him, in a way, and this is due to Wilder's script and direction. Great performance by Kirk Douglas in the lead role. He imbues Tatum with a bravura and conniving charm that is difficult to resist. Not a perfect movie though. Was headed for it at one stage but loses focus a touch towards the end. A few things feel contrived and the final scene is quite tame. If Wilder hadn't changed tack with Tatum's character it would have made for an incredibly powerful conclusion.

• Jun 14, 2017

You do not see Douglas as the villain often but he sure was good at it.Fine movie with all the ingredients needed.

• Apr 12, 2017

You know, I don't know why, but I went into this movie thinking I was going to be disappointed. Boy was I wrong. This movie had my attention the whole time. What not with it's interesting characters and wonderful film location. Just seeing how the story unfolds is fantastic. But where it's the most interesting is seeing how low people would go just to get benefits from it. How crooked and rotten people could be so that they can get things their way. And how the power of words and bribery can really persuade someone into changing there mind or even conforming to another one's beliefs - almost like a cult. Corruption, greed, manipulation, you see it all here. Not a happy ending sort of movie, but definitely justice served kind of movie. I will be watching it again.