Moulin Rouge! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Moulin Rouge! Reviews

November 29, 2016
An ok movie. A sad ending.
November 15, 2016
We used one of the songs for our wedding. Love love this show!
November 3, 2016
Original, zany, lush, spectacular musical drama. A one-off. Possibly the greatest putting-on-a-show movie ever!
October 14, 2016
there is no escaping this film. The pace sweeps you away and you find yourself 2 hours later, emotional and melancholy.
October 6, 2016
An amazing film with good music and plot Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor do a spot on acting job
September 25, 2016
Mad, wacky and quirky. It's a real mish-mash of ideas. Bright, Colourful and loud. It was a brave attempt to surprise and entertain, which it did. Although Chicago won more awards, This one should have.
September 15, 2016
A movie party: crazy and busy, then emotional and sad. Probably the best musical I've seen.
September 4, 2016
Melodramatic and stylish to its glittery core. Moulin Rouge is Luhrmann's finest work and exceeds through extremely energetic editing/direction. Fine performances from a star studded cast, and some catchy jukebox tunes.
August 23, 2016
This movie comes at you like a breathtaking tsunami, it's a totally overwhelming and beautiful experience that will leave you gasping for air.
½ August 13, 2016
Some good songs, best is Elton John your song. Other parts very stupid, not as sad as I hoped
July 28, 2016
OMG¡ pelicula buenisima como pocas excelente dirección y musica impactante escena del Tanto de Roxanne
July 25, 2016
One of my favorite movies of all time!
July 19, 2016
Baz Luhrmann's finest.
June 20, 2016
I was in tears so much at the end of the movie, I could barely see the Television!
June 12, 2016
Messy direction ruins this modern day musical.
May 27, 2016
One of my favorite movies! "The show must go on."
May 9, 2016
The cure for cynicism. So this is about a penniless writer (Ewan McGregor) who comes to Paris in the year 1900 to learn about love. He finds himself falling hopelessly in love with Satine (Nicole Kidman), the most beautiful courtesan at the Moulin Rouge, but love is never that simple, which is a perfect reason to incorporate a bit of modern music. Now this is a favorite of mine that I can positively watch at any given time without exception. There may be movies above this on my all-time 'best of' list, but there are very few that I watch more often. Out of all my Blu-rays that I own, it is this and Cloverfield that I get the most usage of, and with this much color, it makes for a positively gorgeous transfer. Please believe that I am not exaggerating when I say that my wife will (occasionally) catch me watching this at night after she has gone to bed. This is one of the most vibrant and striking movies out there, and there isn't another film that is put together quite like Moulin Rouge is. You can say what you want about Baz Luhrmann as a director, and you can criticize all of the anachronisms that he injects into his films, but the guy knows how to film a party, and once you witness the Can Can medley very early on, you should have an understanding as far as what you're in for. All of the music is brilliantly mixed and executed, and this is one of my favorite soundtracks of all time. If I could sum it up in a pair of words, those words would be "toe tapping". There's a ton of Elton John featured, which makes total sense, given the themes of the film, and as blasphemous as it sounds, I like Ewan's version of My Song just as much as Elton's. Everybody knocks their respective songs out of the park, and they work both as a whole and as standalone numbers. There's not a whole lot of middle ground with Moulin Rouge, and everybody who I've spoken to either loves it or hates it. I fall on the side of love, which is apropos, given the film's message. I feel that Richard Roxburgh is one of the most underrated movie villains of all time, and he nails this sniveling, possessive man who is a push away from falling apart. This is a movie that can do both light and dark, and once you get to El Tango de Roxanne, it switches gears and impresses you in a completely different way. Moulin Rouge is a film that is both romantic and infectious, and it is absolutely capable of making you believe in love if you had already given up.
May 4, 2016
Quite a spectacle, however, all but about 15 shots last less than 5 seconds, so there isn't much of a chance to drink it in. Story-wise, completely unoriginal. Ultimately, it isn't really saying anything that hasn't been said before or since.
The only thing unique about it is its energy and style, and both of those things become very annoying very quickly.
½ April 23, 2016
Moulin Rouge! is such an incredible film. It may be too energetic and bombastic at times and it isn't original in its approach, but it most certainly is authentic in its execution which is awesome with such a crazy energy to it, some nice humor and absolutely terrific songs. All of the songs here are not only great, but also perfectly utilized in its story and so memorable. The characters are endearing, the romance is great, the acting is terrific and its visuals are mesmerizing. But it above all succeeds because of its terrific soundtrack and it is one of the best modern musicals without a doubt.
½ April 5, 2016
Ugg! Couldn't get through the movie at all! I feel bad for my parents, who tired to stick it out longer than I did at my mother's insistence that critics and audiences liked it and it was supposed to be a good movie. They lasted 15 more excruciating minutes than I did, but eventually admitted defeat about 25 minutes into the movie. Guess we just aren't artsy enough to like it, which is hilarious since my mom has worked and trained as an artist!