Moulin Rouge! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Moulin Rouge! Reviews

July 27, 2017
Ambitious and Visually Dazzling
July 13, 2017
Not just the resurrection of the joyful musical, years after Cabaret destroyed it, but also the one true idealistic afterthought that Love Truly Exists, even if it's fleeting, even if it's doomed. A wonderfully optimistic movie, with nuances that might be lost the first time you watch it. A joyful tragedy and visual masterpiece that still dwarfs all other lavish musicals.

Moulin Rouge! is a visual assault masquerading as a musical. Baz Luhrmann's film is hyper and surreal, a childhood view of romance and freedom, with love as the most shimmery and exotic of effigies. It's a movie intended to alienate most music lovers and challenge regular moviegoers with psychedelic visions posing as rambunctious merriment. Yes, it is the ultimate "poser" movie and posing was where the 21st century was headed. People forget that Moulin Rouge! was singlehandedly the movie that brought back the musical to Hollywood, after the genre's untimely death in 1972. While Evita was released a few years before Moulin Rouge!, that movie was Andrew Lloyd Webber's gratuity to Hollywood; a lazily imagined vanity package for Madonna. Moulin Rouge! was the evolution of music in show business-proof that we never stopped singing, we just needed a change of scenery.

What I Learned: I fell in love with this movie just as I lost someone I really cared about. I think the psychedelic doomsday vision of "love" really helped me through the grieving process. I also think it really helped me to fall in love with The Musical. Up until this point, I don't think I associated music with art. I think this film, with Cabaret, showed me that music could be grief; it could be tormented art; it could be therapeutic and not just a fake smile to the world.
½ June 20, 2017
This musical is a spectacular feast for both the eyes and the ears. The music and songs are perfectly suited to the screenplay, which is sometimes told in an unusual way. But the story will take you along for the ride, with many laughs and the occasional tear along the way. AAN GGWM. 1001
½ June 7, 2017
Baz Luhrmann's third feature film is a lavish, flamboyant example of the post-modern musical- a style the director more or less owns. Beneath the high camp veneer there are some excellent performances though (especially Nicole Kidman, Ewan McGregor, and Richard Roxburgh as the villainous Duke) and the musical numbers are bursting with energy. Luhrmann's style probably polarises many but his passion and originality is certainly unique.
June 6, 2017
amazing movie one of my all time favorites. and love Nicole Kidman.. Amazing actress
June 4, 2017
I remember that I was so excited I couldn't sleep after the first time I saw Moulin Rouge. I've seen it a few times since, and it still gets me, every time. Secret Cinema's production of it recently brought it right back home.
June 1, 2017
When the movie isn't cutting fifty times a minute and lets the actors and characters breath and the story develop, it turns into something that might pass as good. But the strange stylistic choices sabotage any chance of this story becoming touching.
May 25, 2017
I love this so much as an viewer i was singing a long to the songs very cleverly done and intertwined into the plot without spoiling it. im not a musical fan but this movie is great for people who know bands from Bowie to kylie i was shocked to see the two actors never faked it! The visual is magical and colorful yet not overfully done which makes it a fave of mine!
May 14, 2017
No substance, all style; and an obnoxious one at that.
½ May 13, 2017
The strength of the performances and the story line win out over some craziness in the editing and the script.
May 4, 2017
After giving it a second try I am convinced that this is the worst movie musical in existence. In some ways I can respect the effort Baz Luhrmann put into it and it has some artistic value, but I also find it extremely creepy. I absolutely can't stand the look and the style of the film, and many of the songs are lame covers. (First viewing - Late Summer 2001 in theaters)
May 1, 2017
A visually Great Movie with Great music that makes a can't miss movie musical.
April 30, 2017
Just when you thought they didn't make movie musicals anymore along comes this gem.
April 28, 2017
one of the maddest and brilliant films ever made. Songs fit brilliantly, acting superb and tearful ending.
½ April 27, 2017
loved this film loved the music just wish it had had a little more depth
April 11, 2017
good movie but when ewan's greasy hair detracts from even the most heart-wrenching scenes in the movie maybe it's time to put that bucket of olive oil away
April 3, 2017
Intensive. Bright. Grand songs.
½ March 31, 2017
I feel asleep during this so that's not a good sign.
½ March 23, 2017
Absolutely love it. Best to watch it, nice and loud.