Moulin Rouge! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Moulin Rouge! Reviews

January 9, 2017
One of my all time favorite films.
January 5, 2017
Unless your film is Titanic or some other well-known historical film, please don't spoil your film's ending in the first minute. So spoiler alert, this film gives a fat spoiler alert right when the film begins. Also, have you guys ever seen a movie, thought you loved it, watched it again and thought to yourself, "What in the world was I thinking?!" I said that to myself one too many times while watching this film again. Right off that bat, the editing style in this film is absolutely ridiculous. For about 30 minutes, there isn't a shot that lasts longer than 5 seconds. It almost makes you sick. If you can get past that, then you need to get past the over-the-top acting. Let me repeat that. The... OOOVER-THE-TIPPITY-TIPPITY-TOP..... AAAAACTTTTINGGGG!!!!! This film is so loud and so in your face with so many colours, sounds, and actions thrown at you at top speed! I was trying to think how I liked this film in the first place. I will admit, some of the soundtrack I do like. The mashups of modern songs, although distracting for some people, were very enjoyable for me. Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman are good singers. It's not like listening to Pierce Brosnan in Mamma Mia. Good singing with extremely crazy performances. For my recommendation, I would only recommend it to people who are huge fans of musical theatre and broadway. I believe if you are a musical theatre person and you live your life like one big broadway musical and are very chauvinistic, then this film is right up your alley. For people who don't like musicals, stay away! I'm telling you right now that this film is garbage to you. A polarizing film to say the least. As someone who likes his occasional musical here and there, Moulin Rouge! may have been a bit too much for me.
December 12, 2016
If you're not used to films with breakneck editing, it's too exhausting to keep up with. Also, the story can be a little overly ridiculous, even in context of the movie's tone. Still, the cast, homages, references, and especially the music are perfect and, if you can't watch the movie, the soundtrack is still required listening. Glad History of Film introduced me to this one
November 29, 2016
An ok movie. A sad ending.
November 15, 2016
We used one of the songs for our wedding. Love love this show!
November 3, 2016
Original, zany, lush, spectacular musical drama. A one-off. Possibly the greatest putting-on-a-show movie ever!
October 14, 2016
there is no escaping this film. The pace sweeps you away and you find yourself 2 hours later, emotional and melancholy.
October 6, 2016
An amazing film with good music and plot Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor do a spot on acting job
September 25, 2016
Mad, wacky and quirky. It's a real mish-mash of ideas. Bright, Colourful and loud. It was a brave attempt to surprise and entertain, which it did. Although Chicago won more awards, This one should have.
September 15, 2016
A movie party: crazy and busy, then emotional and sad. Probably the best musical I've seen.
September 4, 2016
Melodramatic and stylish to its glittery core. Moulin Rouge is Luhrmann's finest work and exceeds through extremely energetic editing/direction. Fine performances from a star studded cast, and some catchy jukebox tunes.
August 23, 2016
This movie comes at you like a breathtaking tsunami, it's a totally overwhelming and beautiful experience that will leave you gasping for air.
½ August 13, 2016
Some good songs, best is Elton John your song. Other parts very stupid, not as sad as I hoped
July 28, 2016
OMG¡ pelicula buenisima como pocas excelente dirección y musica impactante escena del Tanto de Roxanne
July 25, 2016
One of my favorite movies of all time!
July 19, 2016
Baz Luhrmann's finest.
June 20, 2016
I was in tears so much at the end of the movie, I could barely see the Television!
June 12, 2016
Messy direction ruins this modern day musical.
May 27, 2016
One of my favorite movies! "The show must go on."
May 9, 2016
The cure for cynicism. So this is about a penniless writer (Ewan McGregor) who comes to Paris in the year 1900 to learn about love. He finds himself falling hopelessly in love with Satine (Nicole Kidman), the most beautiful courtesan at the Moulin Rouge, but love is never that simple, which is a perfect reason to incorporate a bit of modern music. Now this is a favorite of mine that I can positively watch at any given time without exception. There may be movies above this on my all-time 'best of' list, but there are very few that I watch more often. Out of all my Blu-rays that I own, it is this and Cloverfield that I get the most usage of, and with this much color, it makes for a positively gorgeous transfer. Please believe that I am not exaggerating when I say that my wife will (occasionally) catch me watching this at night after she has gone to bed. This is one of the most vibrant and striking movies out there, and there isn't another film that is put together quite like Moulin Rouge is. You can say what you want about Baz Luhrmann as a director, and you can criticize all of the anachronisms that he injects into his films, but the guy knows how to film a party, and once you witness the Can Can medley very early on, you should have an understanding as far as what you're in for. All of the music is brilliantly mixed and executed, and this is one of my favorite soundtracks of all time. If I could sum it up in a pair of words, those words would be "toe tapping". There's a ton of Elton John featured, which makes total sense, given the themes of the film, and as blasphemous as it sounds, I like Ewan's version of My Song just as much as Elton's. Everybody knocks their respective songs out of the park, and they work both as a whole and as standalone numbers. There's not a whole lot of middle ground with Moulin Rouge, and everybody who I've spoken to either loves it or hates it. I fall on the side of love, which is apropos, given the film's message. I feel that Richard Roxburgh is one of the most underrated movie villains of all time, and he nails this sniveling, possessive man who is a push away from falling apart. This is a movie that can do both light and dark, and once you get to El Tango de Roxanne, it switches gears and impresses you in a completely different way. Moulin Rouge is a film that is both romantic and infectious, and it is absolutely capable of making you believe in love if you had already given up.