Moulin Rouge! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Moulin Rouge! Reviews

May 8, 2018
the infatuation will end..

Moulin Rouge!

Despite of being a musical, the background score and the songs in here aren't that good as the makers think. When the feature portrays drama, it seems cheesy and corny and when it focuses on drawing laughs, it looks like they aren't serious about it. Baz Luhrman and Craig Pearce; the writers, have written an uneven paced script that may be good in bits and pieces but not as a whole concrete material. Baz Luhrman's execution skill develops as the film ages on screen for the first half of it seems redundant and unsupervised. The performance is the only key that helps one hold on to this feature as Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor are convincingly good in it. Moulin Rouge! is brilliant on technical aspects like costume design, production design and choreography with a stellar performance but what lacks in here is a reason or a soul that makers fails to install in it.
May 4, 2018
I prefer Romeo and Juliet but this is still a very good film...crazy, loud and in your face
May 4, 2018
Why did this movie get nominated for Best Editing? I know a lot of people love this movie and thats great but for me I'm more on the haters side. I don't despise this film or anything but It is very been done, the plot lines are laughable, and it is so pretentious.
½ May 3, 2018
The bright lights, energetic dancing, endless amounts of delirious fun can captivate some, while others may find "Moulin Rouge! (2001) quite exhausting to be honest. Within the first 20 minutes, it's hard to decide truly what's going on, only that you want to be a part of the most epic party of the century it seems. Even the description of film is bewildering - it's described as an "American-Australian jukebox musical romantic comedy film" - like that really narrows it down to a whole new genre.

Baz Luhrmann's portrayal of the Moulin Rouge gives life to the nightclub, filling it with extracavendace and true romances. First introduced in the present, we are quickly transported in time to 1989 by Christian (played by Ewan McGregor) who is writing a novel of an epic love story turned tragic. Delivered in the form of a story book where everything is small and seen through a series of snapshots, we learn of Christian's arrival into Paris where he meets new friends who "fall in love" with his singing voice. Later on, we come to the Moulin Rouge where Christian quickly falls for the star dancer, Satine (Nicole Kidman), who is secretly dying of tuberculosis. The whole love affair quickly turns into a Romeo and Juliet tale of two lovers being separated by the inevitability of death.

After learning that Christian is not "The Duke" who Satine is suppose to seduce to finance the Moulin Rouge and almost getting caught by the real duke, the lovers formulate a plan to create a whole new show that will have Satine as the star, which the Duke agrees to finance as long as Satine is his.

Throughout "Moulin Rouge!", the audience is given several cuts back and forth between characters on different timelines to give deliverance of how a real show such as the Moulin Rouge would be like where you do not know where to look at with everything chaotically happening around you. While it works with this film, it can become quite exhausting to keep up with.

A main key to the film is its colors. Luhrmann captures a great deliverance of showing the main elements of emotion, signaling an uplifting or depressing moments through the representation of color.

One turnoff I had mostly with this film was the soundtrack. I wasn't feeling the rendition of Nirvana's 1991 hit "Smells Like Teen Spirit". The same thing happened in the 2015 film "Pan" when the took on their own take of the track. For promiscuous film that is "Moulin Rouge!", the rock hit fell flat and made the world seem less exciting and realistic. Luhrmann continued throughout the film to take hit songs and revamp them for a cultural effect.

While filled with many sexist innuendos such as how women only worship diamonds and must have them delivered by rich, older men, the film is beautiful with so many colors and music to uplift viewers. "Moulin Rouge!" gives you a night at the circus from the comfort of your living room.

"Moulin Rouge!" (2001)

GRADE: B-

RATED: PG-13

Running Time: 2 h 10 min
April 21, 2018
This movie is a love letter to classic romance tales. Make sure to put that in your mind!

I just couldn't buy the predictability of the story 100 percent. Also, the tonal shifts aren't always smooth. With that being said, Moulin Rogue! is a pure magical experience and a visual feast that became even more moving and engaging with incredible and dynamic performances from Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman.

(8/10)
April 9, 2018
Flashy and trippy, Moulin Rouge wholly embraces the absurdity of musicals which will either alienate or convert audiences.
April 2, 2018
My favorite movie of all time. Still makes me tear up. Beautiful music and vision.
½ February 24, 2018
Well made and compelling. 1001 movies to see before you die.
February 16, 2018
My favorite musical ! Ewan McGregor's voice is just amazing. Nicole Kidman and Ewan had a lot of chemistry in this movie. The soundtrack is amazing. Loved it when I was still a kid and still love it until now. If they play it again on theatres I would definitely watch it again.
February 5, 2018
A crazy, fun, magical, stylish musical with fantastic songs and great visuals.
½ January 3, 2018
I really wanted to like this movie, as a fan of Kidman and McGreggor. I really couldn't. I had difficulty making it through the over-the-top, superfluous musical arrangements. In fact, I saw it on video and skipped a couple portions. The acting tone also somehow seemed incongruous with the story, in places.
½ December 26, 2017
Great spectacle, weighed down by it's own self-importance by the end.
December 19, 2017
Absolutely awesome movie that you you'll never tire to watch because of the cinematic artistry and story
December 8, 2017
Very good musical. Good acting. Great music.
October 29, 2017
With outstanding art direction, I thought the love story was terrible.
October 14, 2017
If this came out 5-10 years later it would have been ripped apart because of its sidelining of the disabled character (Tolouse) who the original was centered around. Everyone knows Baz is style over substance, but wow. The original was about Tolouse, drowning in despair and alcoholism in part because of his low self-worth and difficulty reconciling it alongside his love for courtesans in the Moulin Rouge. Fastforward to 2001, and Luhrmann re-makes it by focussing on the pretty colours and lighting of this setting of despair, infuses it with Nirvana songs, and sidelines the main character in order to focus on a dashing Ewan McGregor who looks good in said pretty rooms, to forge some star-crossed lover bullshit story that comes off as completely unnatural regardless. This sucks, and I wish it came out 10 years later, since people were in the context to care about the history.
Nicole Kidman and Jim Broadbent both deliver though. It's not their fault.
½ September 23, 2017
I had to think about this one for a day before coming up with my verdict. There are many flaws that made me want to hate this movie, but I couldn't stop myself from enjoying the majority of it. I wasn't being sucked in at the beginning, but the last half was really exciting. There were some amazing scenes and songs (especially "Your Song," "The Elephant Medley," and "Roxanne"), but then there were also some awful moments ("Like a Virgin" especially). The characters can also come off as incredibly goofy and poorly developed. But in the end, I would consider this movie a fair guilty pleasure of mine.
July 27, 2017
Ambitious and Visually Dazzling
July 13, 2017
Not just the resurrection of the joyful musical, years after Cabaret destroyed it, but also the one true idealistic afterthought that Love Truly Exists, even if it's fleeting, even if it's doomed. A wonderfully optimistic movie, with nuances that might be lost the first time you watch it. A joyful tragedy and visual masterpiece that still dwarfs all other lavish musicals.

Moulin Rouge! is a visual assault masquerading as a musical. Baz Luhrmann's film is hyper and surreal, a childhood view of romance and freedom, with love as the most shimmery and exotic of effigies. It's a movie intended to alienate most music lovers and challenge regular moviegoers with psychedelic visions posing as rambunctious merriment. Yes, it is the ultimate "poser" movie and posing was where the 21st century was headed. People forget that Moulin Rouge! was singlehandedly the movie that brought back the musical to Hollywood, after the genre's untimely death in 1972. While Evita was released a few years before Moulin Rouge!, that movie was Andrew Lloyd Webber's gratuity to Hollywood; a lazily imagined vanity package for Madonna. Moulin Rouge! was the evolution of music in show business-proof that we never stopped singing, we just needed a change of scenery.

What I Learned: I fell in love with this movie just as I lost someone I really cared about. I think the psychedelic doomsday vision of "love" really helped me through the grieving process. I also think it really helped me to fall in love with The Musical. Up until this point, I don't think I associated music with art. I think this film, with Cabaret, showed me that music could be grief; it could be tormented art; it could be therapeutic and not just a fake smile to the world.