Moulin Rouge! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Moulin Rouge! Reviews

½ January 3, 2018
I really wanted to like this movie, as a fan of Kidman and McGreggor. I really couldn't. I had difficulty making it through the over-the-top, superfluous musical arrangements. In fact, I saw it on video and skipped a couple portions. The acting tone also somehow seemed incongruous with the story, in places.
½ December 26, 2017
Great spectacle, weighed down by it's own self-importance by the end.
December 19, 2017
Absolutely awesome movie that you you'll never tire to watch because of the cinematic artistry and story
December 8, 2017
Very good musical. Good acting. Great music.
October 29, 2017
With outstanding art direction, I thought the love story was terrible.
October 14, 2017
If this came out 5-10 years later it would have been ripped apart because of its sidelining of the disabled character (Tolouse) who the original was centered around. Everyone knows Baz is style over substance, but wow. The original was about Tolouse, drowning in despair and alcoholism in part because of his low self-worth and difficulty reconciling it alongside his love for courtesans in the Moulin Rouge. Fastforward to 2001, and Luhrmann re-makes it by focussing on the pretty colours and lighting of this setting of despair, infuses it with Nirvana songs, and sidelines the main character in order to focus on a dashing Ewan McGregor who looks good in said pretty rooms, to forge some star-crossed lover bullshit story that comes off as completely unnatural regardless. This sucks, and I wish it came out 10 years later, since people were in the context to care about the history.
Nicole Kidman and Jim Broadbent both deliver though. It's not their fault.
½ September 23, 2017
I had to think about this one for a day before coming up with my verdict. There are many flaws that made me want to hate this movie, but I couldn't stop myself from enjoying the majority of it. I wasn't being sucked in at the beginning, but the last half was really exciting. There were some amazing scenes and songs (especially "Your Song," "The Elephant Medley," and "Roxanne"), but then there were also some awful moments ("Like a Virgin" especially). The characters can also come off as incredibly goofy and poorly developed. But in the end, I would consider this movie a fair guilty pleasure of mine.
July 27, 2017
Ambitious and Visually Dazzling
July 13, 2017
Not just the resurrection of the joyful musical, years after Cabaret destroyed it, but also the one true idealistic afterthought that Love Truly Exists, even if it's fleeting, even if it's doomed. A wonderfully optimistic movie, with nuances that might be lost the first time you watch it. A joyful tragedy and visual masterpiece that still dwarfs all other lavish musicals.

Moulin Rouge! is a visual assault masquerading as a musical. Baz Luhrmann's film is hyper and surreal, a childhood view of romance and freedom, with love as the most shimmery and exotic of effigies. It's a movie intended to alienate most music lovers and challenge regular moviegoers with psychedelic visions posing as rambunctious merriment. Yes, it is the ultimate "poser" movie and posing was where the 21st century was headed. People forget that Moulin Rouge! was singlehandedly the movie that brought back the musical to Hollywood, after the genre's untimely death in 1972. While Evita was released a few years before Moulin Rouge!, that movie was Andrew Lloyd Webber's gratuity to Hollywood; a lazily imagined vanity package for Madonna. Moulin Rouge! was the evolution of music in show business-proof that we never stopped singing, we just needed a change of scenery.

What I Learned: I fell in love with this movie just as I lost someone I really cared about. I think the psychedelic doomsday vision of "love" really helped me through the grieving process. I also think it really helped me to fall in love with The Musical. Up until this point, I don't think I associated music with art. I think this film, with Cabaret, showed me that music could be grief; it could be tormented art; it could be therapeutic and not just a fake smile to the world.
½ June 20, 2017
This musical is a spectacular feast for both the eyes and the ears. The music and songs are perfectly suited to the screenplay, which is sometimes told in an unusual way. But the story will take you along for the ride, with many laughs and the occasional tear along the way. AAN GGWM. 1001
½ June 7, 2017
Baz Luhrmann's third feature film is a lavish, flamboyant example of the post-modern musical- a style the director more or less owns. Beneath the high camp veneer there are some excellent performances though (especially Nicole Kidman, Ewan McGregor, and Richard Roxburgh as the villainous Duke) and the musical numbers are bursting with energy. Luhrmann's style probably polarises many but his passion and originality is certainly unique.
June 6, 2017
amazing movie one of my all time favorites. and love Nicole Kidman.. Amazing actress
June 4, 2017
I remember that I was so excited I couldn't sleep after the first time I saw Moulin Rouge. I've seen it a few times since, and it still gets me, every time. Secret Cinema's production of it recently brought it right back home.
June 1, 2017
When the movie isn't cutting fifty times a minute and lets the actors and characters breath and the story develop, it turns into something that might pass as good. But the strange stylistic choices sabotage any chance of this story becoming touching.
May 25, 2017
I love this so much as an viewer i was singing a long to the songs very cleverly done and intertwined into the plot without spoiling it. im not a musical fan but this movie is great for people who know bands from Bowie to kylie i was shocked to see the two actors never faked it! The visual is magical and colorful yet not overfully done which makes it a fave of mine!
May 14, 2017
No substance, all style; and an obnoxious one at that.
½ May 13, 2017
The strength of the performances and the story line win out over some craziness in the editing and the script.
May 4, 2017
After giving it a second try I am convinced that this is the worst movie musical in existence. In some ways I can respect the effort Baz Luhrmann put into it and it has some artistic value, but I also find it extremely creepy. I absolutely can't stand the look and the style of the film, and many of the songs are lame covers. (First viewing - Late Summer 2001 in theaters)
May 1, 2017
A visually Great Movie with Great music that makes a can't miss movie musical.