Moulin Rouge! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Moulin Rouge! Reviews

½ March 13, 2016
awesome movie awesome acting but the only part I didn't really like was the ending because SPOILER ALERT
½ March 8, 2016
WellmDe and compelling.
March 1, 2016
I do not like musicals, generally. But this movie's soundtrack works well with the story, features several prominent artists and well known songs, and the dance montages are well executed. Moulin Rouge features a stereotypical love story, but the inclusion of Bohemian themes and locations set it apart from its dime a dozen counterparts. It is a visually pleasing movie but thinking about the plot takes away much of the appeal.
½ February 28, 2016
MOULIN ROUGE seems like one of those movies that you either love or hate, mostly because of Baz Luhrmann's style. I actually don't mind his style that much, having enjoyed AUSTRALIA and, to a lesser degree, THE GREAT GATSBY. Still, I wasn't even ten minutes into this and my head was already spinning. Thankfully, he doesn't keep the visual intensity cranked up to eleven the entire time, but a lot of time was spent in a hyperactive mode that gave me somewhat of a headache, while also laughing at the near-constant absurdity of what I was watching. If I had to describe it, and there are a number of ways to do so, it was like a fever dream or a roller-coaster that is perpetually on a downward course: exhilarating but also exhausting. The plot seemed almost an afterthought, with every romantic cliché of the last 600 years or so being stuffed into a story of tragically doomed romance that was probably old hat when Shakespeare wrote Romeo and Juliet. The acting, from an admittedly impressive roster of talented actors, was so over-the-top that it put primetime soap operas to shame. Just to give one example, John Leguizamo (as Toulouse-Lautrec?) sounded like Elmer Fudd with a lisp. Hopefully they had fun making this because I'd be ashamed to have this on my resume. Anyhow, acting and story aside, MOULIN ROUGE is a rather inventive (if derivative) movie. I would have never thought to set a musical in turn-of-the-century France yet use modern pop songs. The way in which they weave dozens of them in the dialogue is almost comical at times, but it worked for the most part. Where the film really shone, though, was the production design, sets and costumes. Other than paying the actors, this is probably where the most money was lavished, and it showed. Although confined to a few constructed sets, they were gorgeously realized and popping with detail. I don't know how this movie fared at the 2002 Oscars, but it probably got some well-deserved technical awards. Overall, MOULIN ROUGE was rather overwhelming, as if in a constant absinthe-induced delirium partially achieved through rapid-fire editing which gave it the feel of a two-hour music video. Still, Baz Luhrmann's commitment to overdoing every production element has some limited rewards and those are really what makes this worth watching, if only once.
February 22, 2016
The best musical I have ever seen!
February 21, 2016
2/19/16 I was surprised that I really enjoyed this. Normally, I find musicals a bit annoying and it often seems like they are "forcing" the songs into the story. This didn't feel that way at all. The transition into songs is seamless and enhances the fantastical atmosphere of the film. Overall, I appreciated the uniqueness of the film and the over the top style and atmosphere made it fun to watch.
February 15, 2016
There's no doubt the set decoration and pageantry is all magnificent. I just don't think Baz Luhrmann is that good of a director. This is definitely his best film but he just seems to be aiming the camera anywhere and having it all edited together somewhat incoherently. Of course there's some beautiful long takes where more structured choreography is involved, but it seems like the editing is covering up mistakes and doesn't seem like the director has control of what's going on like most classical musicals.
½ February 1, 2016
I saw the reviews and had to see this....but I HATED it. if it weren't for the portrayal of Truman Capote, I'd have given it only one star.
½ January 10, 2016
Wonderfully depressing. Just like Copacabana, I can't rewatch this because it make me feel so sad I actually become depressed.
January 4, 2016
Spectacular, spectacular
½ December 15, 2015
I can't help but find it's melodramatic plot and music video style infectious. This is probably going to remain Luhrmann's best work . . . despite the zany energy, the predictable tragedy manages to be heartbreaking. This is mostly due to Kidman and McGregor who give career best performances here.
December 8, 2015
So much style and grace, I forgot it was a musical and really loved it.
½ December 8, 2015
Too many songs, at times they come over as awkard. The film is visually stunning if not a bit dated by now.
½ November 29, 2015
Not a fan of musicals, but the visuals are incredible.
November 15, 2015
Still one of the best movies I've ever seen.
November 14, 2015
I will regard this as a musical version of Shakespeare in Love. The songs and dancings are really really appealing. Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman deliver remarkable performances as a pair of endearing lovers. Some plot elements may sound stupid and rustic, but the tagline "The show must go on" with the sorrowful ending will make this a immortal musical! I really can't help weeping for it!
November 11, 2015
While the first 25 minutes of this might be the worst thing ever put to film in the history of mankind, something absolutely amazing happens once Ewan McGregor starts singing "Your Song". From that moment on, the movie became incredible. It just kept getting better and better as it went on. However, I still stand by my hatred for the first Act.
November 10, 2015
One of the greatest spectacles I have even witnessed. Absolutely blew me away.
November 1, 2015
Crazy, original, and totally captivating, Moulin Rouge will surely entrance anyone who watches, whether it's for the bad or good. Kidman and McGreggor deliver likable and sweet performances with their chemistry shining. Baz shines through beautifully here through the creative music and style.
October 24, 2015