Evolution - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Evolution Reviews

½ April 17, 2016
Stop thinking anyone involved with X-Files can do something that's not cheesy as hell and devoid of intelligent layers. Ok? Ok.
½ January 10, 2016
A pretty average sci fi comedy thats gags are mostly fart jokes but it's enjoyable funny in places, The effects were ok for its time, Nothing memorable but not terrible either.
March 16, 2016
While not nearly as bad as its 42 percent rating would suggest, Evolution clearly tries too hard to be Ghostbusters when it's just an average sci-fi-comedy.
½ March 8, 2016
A B Movie with a budget.

Man this movie is stupid, but I cannot deny that it was fun at times. Yes it has more than its share of gross out humor, none of the jokes I would consider clever, but the way it was done was sure fun. Popcorn nonsense filled with a lot of 90's.
November 18, 2006
Ca-Caw! Ca-Caw! Ca-Caw! Ah Ah Ee Ee Tookie Tookie! Tookie Tookie! Ca-Caw Ca-ca-caw-ca-caw-caw-caw! Ca-ca-caw!

Wayne, I think we've established that "Ca-Caw Ca-Caw" and "Tookie Tookie" don't work.
January 30, 2016
This movie was great because it was just fun. The actors didn't have to take themselves seriously and they looked like they were having a great time. Its supposed to be ridiculous! Lighten up people
January 23, 2016
This is movie is so, so bad that you just have to laugh with the badness of it all.
Positives: So bad that it's good to laugh at.
Negatives: Champoo placement, yaikes; And well, everything else.
January 18, 2016
Very intelligent movie
January 9, 2016
Good movie. While it has plenty of funny moments, the plot would probably have worked better as a serious invasion movie, but it's still very funny, has great special effects, and good performances from its cast, especially Duchovny, Jones, and Scott.
½ December 1, 2007
11/22/2015: A fun, goofy movie. Not great by any means, but it was slightly entertaining and had a great cast.
½ January 6, 2009
"Evolution" manages to carry the evolution (pun intended) of time with it's jokes and the fact that David Duchovny plays a character that is like Mulder and Scully combined, is still quite funny. That certain hospital scene still cracks me up.
½ October 25, 2015
Was this supposed to be a comedy? If so - where's the comedy? And I know it's sci-fi and "only" a movie, but isn't a biologist supposed to know at least something about biology? Main problem is just with the script, but it's a damn big problem. Wouldn't watch again - better skip this one.
½ September 12, 2010
The (latest) "Greatest 300 Films of All Time" edition of Empire arrived in my house recently, and my wife tested me on the top ten. When we caught a bit of Evolution on TV that week, in a particularly amusing part, she asked me "was this film in the top 300 in that magazine?"

Now THAT'S funny.

The fact that my wife was serious in her question, and the fact that she stayed up late to watch the film (and I recorded it to (re)watch later) suggests that not all people feel the same way about Evolution the way that most critics did upon its release.

Yes, the film is a bald-faced attempt by Ivan Reitman and Hollywood to replicate Ghostbusters. So what? Ghostbusters fucking ROCKS! Even a pale facsimile of Ghostbusters is going to have just value. And Evolution isn't just a pale facsimile. Here's some things I appreciate about the film:

- The location work. Great little town. Location shoot meshes well with the studio stuff.

- The effects work. The creature-feature models and costumes are cheesy but fun. The CGI is fine.

And especially

- The cast. Sure David Duchovny does his standard narcoleptic shtick. But he's the perfect foil for the rest of the cast. Orlando Jones is bug-eyed "say what?" hammy perfection. Julianne Moore in her pre-pretentious days, has never been more endearing or lovely. I think this is my favourite perf of hers. And Seann William Scott steals scenes left right and centre. No, none of them are Bill Murray. But together I reckon these four carry a pretty good, pretty fun film.

My wife's favourite bit:

Dr. Allison Reed: What are you gonna do?

Dr. Paulson: We might have to amputate.

Harry Block: Whoa, Doc! Don't take my leg! Ira, don't let them take my leg.

Ira Kane: Isn't there anything else you can do? He thinks he's an athlete.

Nurse Tate: Doctor, look!

Paulson: It's headed for his testicles.

Block: Take it! Take it! Take the leg!

And mine:

[Wayne tries to get the alien's attention by saying "caw-caw" and "tookie tookie" repeatedly]

Harry Block: Wayne! I think we've established that "Ca-caw, ca-caw" and "Tookie, tookie" don't work.

Genius stuff.
September 27, 2015
Who cares what the critics think? This movie is hilarious!
½ October 22, 2013
There's always time for lubricant!!!
August 27, 2015
i dont know why this movie gets ripped, i truly enjoyed this movie, and rewatch it atleast once a year. duchovny and orlando play well of off each other and orlando steals the show on quite a few occassions" its not for me, its for my ass"
August 27, 2015
Evolution has a clever premise, a likable cast and really neat special effects. Now all it needs is comedy....
½ August 20, 2015
Fox Mulder & the Make 7up Yours guy team up for this fun loving sci-fi flick about two community college professors who stumble across a meteor that's brought life to earth and it's evolving fast. The banter between Fox & 7up is so good that Seann William Scott is almost overkill.... almost... he's hilarious in this flick too. Now that I think about it, it's about time to rewatch!
August 3, 2015
Mildly amusing story that did not gross me out at all. Great teen boy humor. Definitely superior to the Blob or Ghostbuster movies as a perfect sequel to them. A real alien invasion would probably be more subtle.