Planet of the Apes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Planet of the Apes Reviews

April 29, 2016
The visual effects are very good and so is the costume design, but the movie is so darn stupid/
April 15, 2016
Respect must be given to the creature effects used throughout here - bridging the gap between the daggy latex of the originals and the all-CG of the recent remakes, the attention to costume/makeup is fantastic. In addition, the actors physically embodying their simian archetype works great. But Wahlberg limps through without finesse and the social commentary of the original feels all but gone.
April 7, 2016
An odd attempt at trying to pay homage to the originals and strive it's own path this film has some interesting ideas but does not execute them properly. None of the character are interesting and I really was hoping the villains would just win so we could not have to watch the bland heroes. No disrespect to Mark Wahlberg, the flaws for his character were in the writing with awkward wording. The twist ending also let me down a lot with Burton attempting to one up the original film essentially though just left confusion instead of the shock that was intended. This movie tried building a new Apes universe but had failed to do so. Not the worst movie but not the most enticing story.
March 29, 2016
I have no idea what this movie is; why is was made; or what the purpose behind it was. This is one of the worst movies that Tim Burton has ever directed, and it's definitely one of the worst movies ever produced in Hollywood. With a star-spranged cast and a director who have had a lot of hits in the past, we thought we were going to get something extraordinary and original. Unfortunately, we only got a movie filled with bad lines and horrible acting. The only thing that makes this movie sort of watchable is the performance from Tim Roth who actually seemed like he gave a f**k!
March 22, 2016
The best thing that can be said about this movie is in regards to its costume and makeup. Beyond that, there's really nothing to it.
February 15, 2016
Tim Burton once again destroys an incredible franchise in this crap reboot. Don't watch it. Save yourself and watch the incredible new reboot Rise/Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
January 26, 2016
Great make-up, so not a total waste...
½ January 24, 2016
Not as good as the original, even though the special effects might be better.
January 22, 2016
What an awful movie this is. From beginning to end completely unwatchable. It destroyed the original series, has not one interesting story to tell, and even negates it's own story by the end. The set pieces and costumes are top noth, but everything else falls completely apart, suffering from numerous plotholes and awful acting by everyone except Tim Roth and M.C. Duncan.
January 17, 2016
This franchise instalment has more of a B movie feel to it, and not in a good way. Planet Of The Apes boasts some strong visuals, but there's nothing in the plot scheme to help that out. The movie is more along the lines of silly rather than entertaining, and one of Tim Burtons worst.
½ January 16, 2016
Although it's visually impressive and has some interesting ideas, this remake just can't capture the original's creativity, scope, drama, or spectacular twists on human society
January 4, 2016
I'll actually go to bat for this one it posses a viciousness that the original lacks. A large portion of the original seemed devoted to essentially being a metaphor for the famous Scopes Monkey Trial, Burton wisely strips all of this out, which is for the better. The ending sucks and doesn't really make sense, but other than that I have a hard time coming up with anything wrong here.
January 2, 2016
Horrible acting and a horrible plot. There was not enough action in this movie.
December 25, 2015
My recollection was that this film was okay except for the ludicrous, nonsensical ending. No ... it's not. As you expect with Burton, it certainly looks good, but that's largely the end of it's virtues. Everyone playing an ape is encouraged to act extremely apey. It's not long before the overacting is exhausting. Helena Bonham Carter and Paul Giamatti are bad. Tim Roth enters a whole new realm of bad. It's a 2 hour movie with about an hour and a half of plot. It drags it's feet for the last half hour before arriving at a stunningly idiotic ending. I had remembered the ending as bad. No, it's far worse than that.
EpicLadySponge
½ December 23, 2015
It's movies like these that make the movie so promising, then the ending came. What kind of ending did they done?
½ December 11, 2015
Snoozing through his role, Mark Wahlberg detracts from a good-looking film that could have benefited from a stronger lead performance (and maybe a more interesting antagonist).
October 26, 2015
Starring Mark Wahlberg, Tim Burton gets credit for a valiant effort in this remake from the 1968 original. Impressive special effects and makeup.
October 21, 2015
Stop remaking classics!
September 27, 2015
B movie wanabee gets an F from me, but you might get a good chuckle at Ape-raham Lincoln.
September 14, 2015
Kinda stupid. Newer movies are way better