Planet of the Apes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Planet of the Apes Reviews

January 4, 2016
I'll actually go to bat for this one it posses a viciousness that the original lacks. A large portion of the original seemed devoted to essentially being a metaphor for the famous Scopes Monkey Trial, Burton wisely strips all of this out, which is for the better. The ending sucks and doesn't really make sense, but other than that I have a hard time coming up with anything wrong here.
January 2, 2016
Horrible acting and a horrible plot. There was not enough action in this movie.
December 25, 2015
My recollection was that this film was okay except for the ludicrous, nonsensical ending. No ... it's not. As you expect with Burton, it certainly looks good, but that's largely the end of it's virtues. Everyone playing an ape is encouraged to act extremely apey. It's not long before the overacting is exhausting. Helena Bonham Carter and Paul Giamatti are bad. Tim Roth enters a whole new realm of bad. It's a 2 hour movie with about an hour and a half of plot. It drags it's feet for the last half hour before arriving at a stunningly idiotic ending. I had remembered the ending as bad. No, it's far worse than that.
EpicLadySponge
½ December 23, 2015
It's movies like these that make the movie so promising, then the ending came. What kind of ending did they done?
½ December 11, 2015
Snoozing through his role, Mark Wahlberg detracts from a good-looking film that could have benefited from a stronger lead performance (and maybe a more interesting antagonist).
October 26, 2015
Starring Mark Wahlberg, Tim Burton gets credit for a valiant effort in this remake from the 1968 original. Impressive special effects and makeup.
October 21, 2015
Stop remaking classics!
September 27, 2015
B movie wanabee gets an F from me, but you might get a good chuckle at Ape-raham Lincoln.
September 14, 2015
Kinda stupid. Newer movies are way better
August 19, 2015
Completely unnecessary retelling of the sci-fi classic turns the story into just another ordinary adventure film.
½ August 11, 2015
As much as I love Tim Burton's movies. This is the worst out of his films. And he had to drag Mark Wahlburg into this piece of crap? Oh and Charlton Heston as makes a cameo... and I guess that's the only good part of the film
½ August 4, 2015
Really?! There was only one thing good about this movie..... and that was the end.... not a joke.... the end was a lot more like the novel than the original movie so extra star and the fact that it's an apes movie is an extra star. Minus a half star for allowing Tim Burton to touch the franchise.
June 23, 2015
mooi gemaakt, maar waardeloos als film
½ June 10, 2015
Great set designs but one horrible remake......with Burton,I expected more.
April 6, 2015
I want to see this movie
March 19, 2015
Very cool remake with Whalberg. Not sure why so much hate but I did see this before I saw the original.
February 27, 2015
It's no secret that the pinnacle of the "Planet of the Apes" franchise was the original film. So it's no surprise that the latest installment of the franchise is a remake of the first film.

That said, a movie is not really a remake if it's nothing like the original, and Tim Burton's "Planet of the Apes" bears no resemblance to the original. This isn't a terrible thing, since the movie doesn't inherit the problems the original had. This "Planet of the Apes" is much more exciting and action-driven than the original. This one also has impressive visuals and the updated monkey suits look even more believable than before.

However, this film has its own problems. As per Burton's usual style, this film is very strange; much stranger than the original. The movie delves so deep into the apes' religious mythology, it becomes hard to follow, and even harder to take seriously. Also, the final battle, though exciting, is a pretty generic battle and nothing special.

In remaking "Planet of the Apes", the hope was to revitalize the franchise and recapture the charm of the original film. This failed. Though entertaining, this film is not destined to be the classic that the original is. Tim Burton's "Planet of the Apes" remake is not as captivating as the original, but what it lacks in story-telling, it makes up for with exciting action and convincing visuals.
½ February 25, 2015
This mediocre movie lacks depth. The quirky ending is totally unexplained.
February 24, 2015
Craptastic remake of a classic by Burton. By far the worst in the series. But good lord, what fantastic make-up!
February 7, 2015
Not bad for a remake and a movie that is more of it's own story than a genuine remake anyway. There's a good shot at religion and probably could've spawned decent sequels.