Planet of the Apes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Planet of the Apes Reviews

½ August 4, 2015
Really?! There was only one thing good about this movie..... and that was the end.... not a joke.... the end was a lot more like the novel than the original movie so extra star and the fact that it's an apes movie is an extra star. Minus a half star for allowing Tim Burton to touch the franchise.
June 23, 2015
mooi gemaakt, maar waardeloos als film
½ June 10, 2015
Great set designs but one horrible remake......with Burton,I expected more.
April 6, 2015
I want to see this movie
March 19, 2015
Very cool remake with Whalberg. Not sure why so much hate but I did see this before I saw the original.
February 27, 2015
It's no secret that the pinnacle of the "Planet of the Apes" franchise was the original film. So it's no surprise that the latest installment of the franchise is a remake of the first film.

That said, a movie is not really a remake if it's nothing like the original, and Tim Burton's "Planet of the Apes" bears no resemblance to the original. This isn't a terrible thing, since the movie doesn't inherit the problems the original had. This "Planet of the Apes" is much more exciting and action-driven than the original. This one also has impressive visuals and the updated monkey suits look even more believable than before.

However, this film has its own problems. As per Burton's usual style, this film is very strange; much stranger than the original. The movie delves so deep into the apes' religious mythology, it becomes hard to follow, and even harder to take seriously. Also, the final battle, though exciting, is a pretty generic battle and nothing special.

In remaking "Planet of the Apes", the hope was to revitalize the franchise and recapture the charm of the original film. This failed. Though entertaining, this film is not destined to be the classic that the original is. Tim Burton's "Planet of the Apes" remake is not as captivating as the original, but what it lacks in story-telling, it makes up for with exciting action and convincing visuals.
½ February 25, 2015
This mediocre movie lacks depth. The quirky ending is totally unexplained.
February 24, 2015
Craptastic remake of a classic by Burton. By far the worst in the series. But good lord, what fantastic make-up!
February 7, 2015
Not bad for a remake and a movie that is more of it's own story than a genuine remake anyway. There's a good shot at religion and probably could've spawned decent sequels.
February 6, 2015
Die Neuauflage vom Planet der Affen von dem Regisseur Tim Burton, ist um einiges besser gestaltet, als die letzten paar Filme! Die Masken sehen um einiges besser aus. Die Effekte sind gut eingesetzt. Auch die Schauspieler unter der Affen Masken sehen spannend aus.
Klar, es ist auch um einiges mehr Geld reingesteckt worden. Das muss man fairer halber sagen. Aber dann war es schon.
Das Drehbuch hingegen ist genauso hanebüchen, wie seine Vorgänger! Die Rollen haben keine Vielschichtigkeit und man kratzt dabei nur an der Oberfläche. Auch die Weltraumreise ist ziemlich schlecht überdenkt und unlogisch. Man muss auch sagen: Es gibt viel bessere Filme vom Tim Burton. Mit diesem Affen Film, hat er sich keinen Gefallen getan!
Fazit: Gute Maskerade, Gute Schauspieler, gutes Set! Nur leider kein gutes und durchdachtes Affenspiel!
January 30, 2015
Has some neat ideas, but falls flat in execution.
January 10, 2015
2 out of 10:

This awful remake should be outlawed in my country.
½ January 7, 2015
Fantastical but not fantastic.
January 3, 2015
Very well done, executed and cast.
½ December 23, 2014
en su momento me gusto un buen, pero tras ver las nuevas peliculas definitivamente se queda a medias .. por eso 2.5 estrellas
December 15, 2014
An amazing cast for a not-so-amazing movie. Tim Burton is a great filmmaker, but this was just not a great movie.
½ December 4, 2014
It's a bit surprising for a Burton film to feel this loose. As a Apes film, it's too silly at times, making it hard to take serious at any moment. The characters, twists, and suspense can't compare with the original film. The make up and sets are great, but they feel alien. This remake didn't do the trick for me, and ultimately ended up feeling like a spoof.
November 25, 2014
A lot of it was pretty cheesy. But the twist at the end has me wondering what's going to happen in the sequel.
½ November 16, 2014
Now I will admit I love Tim Burton and most of his work but I too was shocked and fearful of his agreement to take the helm of this sci-fi action flick revamp/re-imagining. Many directors were considered and to be honest I think many of them would have been perfect for the film but Burton does add his usual unique artistic style which can be glimpsed throughout the film in armour design, landscapes sets etc..

So straight to the point I actually liked this Burton version of 'Apes' mainly because its a fun romp which is both silly entertaining cheese and has that classic semi serious sci-fi element to it. First up the visuals in the film are tremendously good and really make the film stand out, total kudos to Rick Baker and his team, the man totally nails the ape look for all the characters to a tee. The best clearly being Roth as Thade with a fantastic makeup job, next up must be Duncan in his gorilla makeup but how about Shadix and Giamatti in their orangutan (I think) makeup...amazing!

The film wins with the look for sure, not only is the makeup excellent but the sets are nicely worked, location is well suited, the apes costumes and battle gear is well designed and the space sequences also look and work well. All in all its pretty much like a top class Star Trek film...I mean a good Star Trek film by the way.

Casting choices were good accept for Wahlberg who wasn't quite right for me. Thankfully we had no Depp to endure here but the use of many solid character actors such as Warner and the imaginative use Tagawa really help lift the film, who could imagine Tagawa as a gorilla.

I really enjoyed the film on my second viewing, my first was on release at the cinema, and I believe its because the 'Apes' classic plot can be made many ways and is open to interpretation from different angles, its not a case of it only works one way like a lot of classic films, 'Apes' is a franchise that you can seem to mould and recreate without upsetting the originals. This Burton vision is simple yet highly enjoyable as a fun sci-fi romp, not too heavy, not just copying the original, touch of artistic license and the attempt at a twist ending which was brave but rather illogical, trying to equal the original but failing there I'm afraid. Still the little use of CGI for much of the film is always nice in my book.
November 10, 2014
The incredible visuals is enough to finish the film, but it may be kind of hard to do so.