Rain - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rain Reviews

October 6, 2016
Good NZ coming of age story. A young teenage girl has a complicated relationship with her irresponsible mother and her little brother. Slow moving, but very realistic.
½ July 27, 2016
This movie is really unsettling and disturbing in a lot of ways. I didn't particularly enjoy it but it stuck with me. Its images of a New Zealand summer are so familiar, and there's a feeling of the plodding inevitable.
April 9, 2012
Rain is a hard movie to rate. I give it 4 stars because it is definitely above average in acting and the subtle details that make the situation real. What occurs in the last 15 minutes or so is predictable, but I still cried a flood. I identified pretty strongly with Janey. We had similar circumstances. She's like the more irresponsible version of myself at that age. The flip side of my coin, if you will. The alternate route. The road not taken. (okay I'm done.. ;p)
March 31, 2012
Very Deep, But the movie cover they have here is wrong
January 24, 2012
reading the books that this movie is based off of right now so i cant wait till im done to watch the movie
June 6, 2011
Own it now, it's very good and Marton Csokas as the incredibly sexy drifter "Cady" is brilliant.
January 11, 2010
would watch for the scenery but the story line sounds pretty lame
½ December 4, 2009
Hidden somewhere in the corner of the world is this film. Beautifully done with great actors and cinematography. The storyline was so realistic, bare, and believable. The movie dive into the coming of age aspect without hesitation which is rarely done. It also show how relations to one another, not matter the age, are often more complex then we like to realize. Although it was melancholy and sad at moments it portrayed a authentic take on some people family structure, sexuality, sense of emotions, the understanding compromise, and sacrifice. A great soundtrack was also nicely weaved into the film. While this movie is not for everyone it does show another side, however true, of self-exploration of pubescence.
½ September 1, 2009
Excellent movie, tough subject matter, not sure I would say I LIKED it but it was damn good
August 30, 2009
A raw and powerful portrait of a family in crisis, with an astonishingly mature performance from the young lead. It's let down a little by a hackneyed sex-equals-death ending that was telegraphed from miles away.
½ June 1, 2009
Some of the visual flourishes are a little too obvious, but restrained and subtle storytelling, and fine performances make this delicate coming-of-age tale a treat.
½ May 6, 2009
For some reason, all of the user reviews associated with the 2001 film 'Rain' are actually refering to another film, and the featured cover art is the cover art for this film.
Rain is a beautiful, sensual and ultimately unfathomably tragic coming of age tale which simultaneously charts the sexual awakening of 13 year old Janey and the disintegration of her parents marriage. Director Christine Jeffs, on what I would imagine was a fairly limited budget, has crafted an emotionally true, cinematically rich and naturalistically performed tale which work on all levels, and will stay with you long afetr the end credits roll. It is also a film which, for Australian and New Zealand viewers in particular, but I would imagine more generally too, uses a beautifully crafted sense of nostalgia to make the sights, sounds and family dynamic of the family vacation so true that it can unlock sensations and emotions linked to personal childhood memories. A little gem.
December 28, 2008
Like a punch to the gut.
November 22, 2008
1) The movie cover photo associated with this synopsis is WRONG.

2) The Movie "Rain" with Brooklyn Sudano and Faye Dunaway is a great movie. A bit steryotyped but certainly makes one think of other aspects of life. I really enjoyed this movie.
October 13, 2008
Hmm, Flixster has combined the wrong movie poster with this movie.
October 5, 2008
Loved the movie in the synopsis. Made me want to return to the inner-city. Had a great movie line. The acting wasn't the greatest, but loved it all the same.
September 21, 2008
This is incorrect. The movie "Rain" that is explained in the synopsis was released in 2006. It stars Brooklyn Sudano, Faye Dunaway, Khandi Alexander, and others. The photo is of another movie by the same name which was released in 2001.
½ August 13, 2008
She a Beautiful Singer
½ July 29, 2008
BoY Did This Movie Hit Home For Me
June 7, 2008
Did none of the other reviews even read the novel that this movie is based on? This movie was a terrible adaptation and a terrible movie in general.