Scooby-Doo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Scooby-Doo Reviews

½ February 12, 2016
As silly as it sounds by the end, Scooby Doo is somewhat enjoyable, and it gets better as it goes on. Oh, it's not great, don't get me wrong, it's stupidity at its finest, but the cast clicks very well and the direction the film goes is still entertaining and holds true to the original series.
Based on the hit cartoon series, Scooby Doo puts the Mystery Inc. gang in a theme park popular amongst spring breakers, where the owner believes voodoo is at foul play. The rest of the plot is still kind of a blur and doesn't quite make sense by the end, but hey, I guess don't overthink it - there's still all those simply *hilarious* food jokes in there!
So Scooby Doo's not perfect. The jokes, much like the series, don't particularly work but can amuse kids and fans of the original series. What does work are the performances and the surprisingly good chemistry between the cast, compiled of extremely forgettable late 90s teen icons. The cast holds true to the characters they're playing very well, and, while their actual performances are overdone and outlandish, perhaps that's best noting the cartoon is so crazy and fastpaced. The film does an outstanding job at making the Scooby Doo series into a film that doesn't go overboard that it's a film, it feels like a mixed up episode of the series. Scooby Doo's other big con, though, is that it's aged pretty horribly in every aspect you can think of. The cast, the cameos, even Scooby himself has poorly done CGI, even for 2002 standards. Scooby Doo is undeniably fun, and it pains me a little to say it, but I enjoyed the film. It works, and for that, it's a decent flick.
February 5, 2016
Scooby-Doo has a dumb plot but is wildly entertaining and perfectly casted.
February 5, 2016
Very good replication of the Scooby-Doo cartoons. I thought it was interesting. The table dance was exciting.
February 1, 2016
It's a great adaptation of the cartoon. People (and critics who aren't necessarily the same) seem to think the CGI of Scooby is awful but I find it mirrors the action really well. The little motions and movements of the cartoon are brought to life nicely. The rest of the cast does a good job with their characters as well, giving the cartoon versions more depth.

What I think the problem is, is that people (and again the critics) have a vision of Scooby Doo in their heads. An elevated vision. And thus, when they view this movie, it doesn't match their view and so they rate it as bad or low. Scooby doo was a pretty simple cartoon and very formulaic and the movie follows that nicely.
½ January 19, 2016
people say it is a terrible film but I really enjoy it.
January 14, 2016
When I saw the trailer for this as a kid, I was really excited since I love Scooby-Doo like a bunch of other people did in their youth. However when I saw this, it sadly didn't meet my expectations.
½ January 5, 2016
The CGI is horrible and the plot is to non Scooby Doo. The performances are great from everyone except Freddie Prince Jr. Matthew Lillard, Linda Cardellini, and Neil Fanning did great impersonations of the cartoon characters, Sarah Michelle Gellar gave us a new look on the character Daphne which worked. I cover this movie in a wall of nostalgia, but it isn't good.
December 21, 2015
It was a very funny, action packed and entertaining live-action/animated family comedy adventure. It had really great animation, really great cinematography, really great action, great adventure, really good comedy, really great costumes, great music and a very fun story. This is one of the best live-action Hanna-Barbara cartoon movies of 2002. Scooby-Doo fans should have fun with this movie.
½ December 16, 2015
I've always loved the TV series. I get that they wanted to stick to a family-friendly theme, but for long-time fans, that can get a bit tired. The film could've had a darker tone similar to the series. The whole idea of the gang ''splitting up'' was so cliched even in those years, a more original story like how the gang met would've worked better. The actors that were chosen for their respective roles made the cartoon come to life properly, so in other words, they were perfect. Being a car fan, I loved their interpretation of the Mystery Machine, even though it might not be an exact replica of the cartoon version, it is still a pretty badass van, though I keep getting surprised by Pamela Anderson appearing in the film. Scooby stole the show, even though it is his own show. He's funny, adorable and clever. If they decide to produce a sequel to Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed, they should make it a darker tone, like the new Power Rangers film is, and bring back the original cast. I loved Simple Plan's cover of the theme-song, I just wish it could be slightly longer, maybe they could've added more verses to the original theme. If they produce a new sequel, with today's special-effects, a darker tone and big budget productions, the film will be a massive hit.
½ December 9, 2015
"Scooby-Doo has a predictable plot and some predictable characters but if you're a fan of the franchise then you'll watch this movie for nostalgic reasons and overlook some of the flaws.
December 6, 2015
I loved all of the scooby doo movies, and think each brought different dimensions to the characters.
½ November 29, 2015
A fun and silly little romp into the goofy and ridiculous that is equal parts unbearably absurd and charmingly nostalgic.

I first saw this movie in theaters at the age of six, and I
November 4, 2015
I love this movie, but it isn't good.
½ October 24, 2015
Some or somewhat most of the energy was faithfully captured followed by some actual comics to make this watchable, it's a disgrace to the original's heart when it's at some levels a satirical parody. (B)

(Full review coming soon)
October 23, 2015
The TV serious was so much better.
½ October 16, 2015
Very Faithful To The Source Material And Gives Service To The Fans In A Nice Way
½ October 15, 2015
I'm not too sure who this film is made for. You'd think it was made for kids due to a property like 'Scooby Doo', but then why all the sexual innuendos? Then maybe this film is for teenagers at that time period who grew up with the cartoon. Then how come all the pandering to kids with the slapstick and gross-out fart jokes and such. Well, whatever this film is, it had me laughing out loud. Yes, I recognize that it is and will become even more dated (although I love this time period for music). Yes, I realize that the CGI is pretty brutal and yes I realize that Velma is annoying, but I was just having lots of fun watching this movie. Shaggy is a funny dude, my celebrity crush is in this movie (Isla Fisher. Always a plus when she's in a movie) and Scooby is so funny and adorable. I should point out that I did not see this film when it came out, I actually saw the sequel and grew up with that film. I should also point out that Shaggy and Scooby are both big stoners. Never saw it as a kid, but when two people act like that and their characters are introduced in a parked van with smoke steaming out of it... Yeah they're high dude, they're high. So in conclusion, I would say this is a good kids film to watch around Halloween because of the ghost aspects
October 13, 2015
Nostalgia aside, Scooby-Doo is not great but it's easy to have with if you lower your standards.
½ October 5, 2015
While it does feature some great performances (Mathew Lillard and Sarah Michelle Gellar are excellent as Shaggy and Daphne), Scooby foo fails to bring life into the tepid plot and respect the immortal series that it's based on
½ October 1, 2015
One of those childhood killers. Nothing more, nothing less. Seriously? Did anyone read the f****** script? Such awfulness .