Teddy Bears' Picnic - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Teddy Bears' Picnic Reviews

January 22, 2013
I wish I could find it!
December 21, 2012
"Teddy Bear's Picnic" is an acquired taste. Of that, there can be no doubt. Harry Shearer injects a subtle sense of mayhem in this clever comedy that pokes fun of people who we have entrusted to run the world around us. From politicians to corporate power brokers, we either tolerate or trust them to "do the right thing." When they get together, we suspect the sort of collusion that conspiracy theorists thrive on. Instead, what we get are a bunch of spoiled power-mongers, taking too much advantage of their status in society, and the results are hilarious.

Yes, this is Harry Shearer doing what he does best - a biting satire of a small portion of our society. He has put together an eclectic cast of characters that you won't see assembled in any other movie - worth it for that alone!

If you don't appreciate subtle, borderline intellectual humor - you won't like this. The best jokes will be lost on you. But if you are the type of person who laughed at Dennis Miller's references on Monday Night Football, you should love this.
½ November 25, 2009
Dear God, what on earth happened? How could this much talent make such a horrendous film? It is totally not funny, stupid and ridiculous and insulting. A complete waste in all senses of the word.
April 1, 2008
Harry Shearer's directoral debut, an ambitious sendup of a Bohemian Grove resort which ultimately ODs on too many satirical targets without a strong enough POV. I'd like to see what Harry does next, though.
September 23, 2007
Starring Morgan Fairchild?.. what gives her top billing she's only in it for 3 minutes!

Well, I am surprised I hadn't heard of this.. I noticed it sitting on the shelf at work and decided to see if it was any good.. Now, I'm really into the other films that Harry Sheerer made with Christopher Guest, so.. it was a fairly safe bet I'd at least get a laugh.. it delivered.

I'm going to run more and talk to myself less..

I loved that line.. (it's not the best in the movie, but for some reason it stuck out)
June 2, 2007
I wish I could find it!
April 2, 2007
No more cartoons please
March 3, 2007
hmmm hubby just mentioned this if it is the right one. Must see it..
½ February 22, 2007
March 8, 2006
i thought it was dumb
½ January 24, 2005
I watched "Teddy Bears Picnic" this afternoon, and later I noticed that it got a 0% on the Tomatoemeter. In case you're not big on math, that's exactly as low a score as a movie can get. So I asked myself, was this movie really worse than "Summer School" (60%)? Was it worse than "Stop! or My Mom Will Shoot" (8%)? Would that even be possible?

But the Tomatoemeter is an instrument of pure empiricism; it doesn't lie, it just reports the facts. And the fact is, if you try to make a good movie and fail, you will be harshed on far worse than if you try and make crap and succeed. Is that fair? It doesn't matter.

"Teddy Bear's Picnic" wants to be a comedy with a social conscience. It turns out to just be a regular comedy thats semi-funny. On the other hand, "Summer School"'s only ambition was just to get you to wait until the end to tell it it sucked. No one involved in making it at the time realized the film would spark the meteoric rise to the top of star Mark "Harmin'" Harmon. They thought they were just making a dumb comedy. And come to think of it, they were right, because that didn't even happen. No one knows for sure what happened to Mark Harmon after he made this film. Did he get Dire Straits back together for an extended tour of non-America? Or did he fade back into mystery, like a poem or a dwarf? Who knows this truth to these secrets? Only none... only none.
Back to the point, since "Teddy Bear's Picnic" tries to accomplish more than it does (and because it's full of people who can do much better), even though it was technically funnier than "Stop! This is a Bad Idea", it still feels worse. How much worse? Precisely 8% worse.