Shiner - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shiner Reviews

½ May 18, 2016
English crime dramas usually give us a different taste of violence, and the mentality of violence, and this is no exception. This movie serves as a cross between The Long Good Friday, and Stormy Monday. Caine plays the role of Billy Simpson with such tenacity that it's really hard to know whether to like him or despise him, but that's one of the film's charms.
John Irvin, who's directed some pretty thrillers (The Dogs of War, Next of Kin), comes through here, and I believe this is his best film.
½ April 27, 2015
Whatever we do, we do not fear failure.

Billy 'Shiner' Simpson is a boxing promoter that has finally got his big break. In the gigantic title fight, his son is fighting for the championship. However, Shiner wasn't the most honest and cleanest promoter before he became a professional and his past is on his ass. There are a lot of loose strings in Shiner's business that is putting his first main event at risk.

"This is an emergency."
"Oh, you have an emergency?"
"No, you have if you don't move the fucking car."

John Irvin, director of Raw Deal, Hamburger Hill, City of Industry, Ghost Story, The Dogs of War, The Moon and the Stars, and The Garden of Eden, delivers Shiner. The storyline for this picture is just okay and felt like an average European underground movie. The action wasn't overly intense but the acting was above average. The cast includes Michael Cain, Martin Landau, Andy Serkis, Frank Harper, Danny Webb, and Peter Wight.

"I'll personally make you fuck your mother."

I came across this on Netflix and thought it would be an interesting action movie with a grindhouse feel to it...or like the Bob Hoskins films in this genre. This movie fell flat for me and wasn't as good as I had hoped. This may be worth watching for b gangster movie fans, but I'd recommend skipping this.

"You want to keep your bullocks? Then fucking shut up."

Grade: C
½ March 3, 2015
Don't watch this bad movie unless you are being threatened at gunpoint. Michael Caine -- what's good about him?
March 29, 2014
Directed by John Irvin (Raw Deal (1986), Hamburger Hill (1987) and Widows' Peak (1994)), and written by Scott Cherry (The Bill). This crime drama is centred around the world of underground boxing promotion, and the dangers that go hand in hand with this world. It has a good lead performance, (he can do this in his sleep), although the plot is partially inspired by Shakespeare's King Lear. Billy 'Shiner' Simpson (Michael Caine) is a boxing promoter who due to past incidents and shady dealings, has been banned from deal in legitimate fights. But, Billy believes he has a shot at the big time, by putting his own son Eddie (Matthew Marsden), who he's dubbed Golden Boy. After the fight, Eddie is killed and Billy goes for revenge to find out who did it. He initially suspects American boxing promoter Frank Spedding (Martin Landau), a rival who was non-plussed at having to come to England for the fight which didn't last long at all. In the process of trying to find who did it, Billy starts to lose touch with reality, and he descends into madness. It has some good performances, even if it does descend into London East End gangster territory too much, but Caine proves he can still do great films, and he does well here. This could be seen as a slight dry run for things to eventually come in Harry Brown (2008). You'll have seen stuff like this before, but this one is worth a go.
March 26, 2014
Just the one dinosaur in this movie - no spaceships - and that's how it works. The essence is surely in the bland. This is a classified all-time 'classic' with Caine on brilliant form - not to mention the entire cast.
January 24, 2014
Caine, Harper and Gollum are the balls but the twist and the final act is a real let down.
½ December 22, 2013
An ambitious movie that, like Shiner's organizing of the big fight, pulls off enough of its effects to make up for the ones that don't come off.
July 16, 2013
Michael Cain loses bet, Michael Cain makes Shiner.
LWOODS04
½ December 15, 2012
"I've never watched a movie with Michael Caine that I haven't at least liked. But I guess that streak ends with this film. I didn't like any of it. I was bored. There was no real action. The plot is weak. The acting is sloppy. Michael's character wasn't one bit likeable, which made it even easier to dislike this film. I was expecting some kind of mob action and got a petty fight promoter who is banking all his families money on his son, "The Golden Boy". I just couldn't wait for it to be over with. It didn't turn out to be what I was hoping for. Which was a good suspense-action-thriller."
September 1, 2012
Waste of time. Some of the worst boxing scenes to boot.
½ May 1, 2012
Michael Caine, on home soil is clearly comfortable with his British gangster character performance, although that doesn't make it a great film. It has similarities to 'Snake Eyes' in its themes, but is a much grittier portrayal of boxing shenanigans.
January 29, 2012
michael caine and co
November 13, 2011
Decent filom about the Boxing underworld in London, Caine was good as usual.
terris85017
October 7, 2010
(2003 Director: John Irvin)
½ October 5, 2010
A first-rate hard-boiled brutal British crime drama, where Sir Michael Caine delivers a intense and powerful performance, as Billy "Shiner" Simpson a gangster/boxing promoter with serious money and legal problems, who bets everything in a make-or-break title fight, between his terrified 20-year-old son and a American boxer of vastly superior ability, when his son loses, Shiner concludes that someone forced his son to throw the fight. Before Shiner can talk to his son, he is shot right in front of him, by some unknown and unseen person. Shiner now seeks revenge, and will stop at nothing to find who is responsible for his son's death. A fascinating character study of a paranoid, bullying, ego-driven man, who can't accept that his problems are all self made. Fine direction by John Irvin, with superlative supporting performances by Martin Landau, Frances Barber, Claire Rushbrook, Andy Serkis, Gary Lewis, Danny Wedd and Kenneth Cranham. A grim tale worth seeing for Caine's show stopping performance. Highly Recommended.
½ February 17, 2010
The great Micheal Caine can't even save this one about a boxing promoter searching for those responsible for his son's death. Caine is good as is Landau, but the script sucks and nothing happens for the first half of the film. With so many better boxing films and Caine films out there, be advised to look elsewhere.
November 30, 2009
I have a soft spot for Micheal Caine, I just love his accent. But his character is unlikable and the story uninspiring.
½ April 17, 2009
thought this was average at best.. always nice to see Caine in a flick though
January 11, 2009
There’s nothing like seeing old pros like Caine do his stuff, even as a foul-mouthed Cockney boxing promoter. Almost all the scenes have Sir Maurice in it, which is no bad thing. Irvin’s direction is taut but it’s veterans like Caine and, to a lesser extent, Landau in his few scenes, that give this film real depth.