The Wind in the Willows - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Wind in the Willows Reviews

May 28, 2016
Incredible. This film captures the all of the simple beauty of the Grahame's book, from the english countryside scenes to the depth of emotions in chapters like Wayfarer's All and Piper at the Gates of Dawn - and even better, it does it in a way that young children can appreciate and have just as much as fun with as adults. Really an outstanding movie.
February 4, 2016
Kids will like this movie now I watched this when I was a kid in this movie you will find that there is making friendship in this movie like Mole meats Rat and they get to gather. And there is funny parts with Towed. There where some sad moments and nerve-racking moments like when mole is lost in the woods, or toad was in jail. The music was good and I animation was good
So I know I liked this when I was a kid. So have kids see this movie but I would see what you think if it is right for your kids because of some moments having it be parts like that are sad and nerve-racking
November 25, 2015
A childhood classic that covers every corner of the emotional spectrum! It's funny, serious, suspenseful, adventurous and homey all rolled into one.
June 9, 2011
Rik Mayall as Toad of Toad Hall - perfect.
½ May 10, 2010
Plot: 5/5-As an animated adaptation, 1995's The Wind in the Willows is incredibly faithful to its source material and does not hide any specific details from the audience to ensure that its best elements are kept where they should be.

(Voice) Acting: 5/5-A fantastic voice-cast of British veterans: whilst Rik Mayall captures Toad's hilariously snobbish demeanour perfectly and Michael Gambon brings gruff tones to Badger, Alan Bennett and Michael Palin alternate between serious and light-hearted vocals to perfectly portray the gentler characters of Mole and Rat. Vanessa Redgrave provides a warm narration from the book, along with the other live-action child actors who interact with generally realistic conversation.

Screenplay/Directing: 4.5/5-Adapting Kenneth Grahame's novel couldn't have been made better due to its generally strict faithfulness and flowing accuracy.

Script/Character Development: 4.5/5.-Again, the script follows the book very closely to capture its gently serious and often light-hearted nature. Characters are expertly portrayed, with the screenplay ensuring that each character receives good screen time and representation.

Animation: 4.5/5-Lush paintwork and wonderfully hand-crafted animation here show that great effort has been put into producing an adaptation of excellent technical quality.

Fantasy/Scares/Thrills: 4/5-Along with situating anthropomorphic animals to exist and react realistically within a human world, fantasy is achieved here through the use of mystical tales, fantasising and dreams that truly engage the charming fee of the book's atmosphere. Surprisingly, the film's scares and thrills come in build-ups to tense situations that play upon unknown fears and silence, from the claustrophobic feel of Mole getting lost in the Wild Wood to Toad jumping off of a train.

Humour/Drama: 4.5/5-The book's humour is embraced here with both charm and good character, mainly coming from the outlandish behaviour of Rik Mayall's Toad and other basic character exclamations/linguistics.
The film also does not let up on the book's sense of drama by capturing the emotions and thoughts of characters in particular situations: Mole breaking down in front of Rat over the idea of his old home not being returned to him , as well as Toad sobbing in prison through an impassioned speech on the failure of his life, both feel nicely performed.

Music: 4.5/5-Excellently fits the atmosphere in relation to the book by retaining a wonderfully old-fashioned and sweet-natured feel. The main theme music is particularly memorable, with a lovely arrangement of wood instruments and a crafted flowing of simultaneously sweet and somewhat hauntingly-beautiful notes.

Overall: 37.5/40 = 4.6875/5 = 4.5/5.
½ February 18, 2010
sad...but feels peaceful
½ September 16, 2009
This is awful. It's bookended with some children on the river being told the story, which is boring and badly dubbed. Then Vanessa Redgrave narrates the film, in the blandest, most bored voice I've ever heard.

The animation is lazy. The backgrounds are just paintings, while the characters are unconvincingly superimposed on top, the movements are slow and jumpy, the animals look vicious, and their size varies drastically, as Toad grows from toad-sized to human-sized, depending on the scene.

Whoever adapted this has kept in all the poetic gibberish, which makes no sense on screen, is boring and confusing, but mainly boring and the plot is a mystery. The music is out of place and the characters are dislikeable and a bit creepy.

Badly made and very, very boring.
½ June 21, 2009
This movie is sad. If a child watches it, I think the book should be read first.
May 12, 2008
I've always liked this story, love the book. There are better versions of the movie though.
May 10, 2008
I've only seen the start of this and Matt Lucas looks adorable. I definitely want to watch this because I think one must watch AT LEAST ONE Wind in the Willows adaptation in her life
½ October 20, 2006
Here's another film rating.