Ash Wednesday - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ash Wednesday Reviews

August 6, 2015
a very well done directorial debut of ed burns
April 30, 2013
Has to be my all time favorite
movie
November 10, 2012
Extremely slow pacing with a dull story.The score is overbearing and Oliver Platt as a gangster is laughable. Elijah Wood's underacting on top of all of this makes Ash Wednesday a mediocre film at best. Skip it.
May 25, 2012
A very decent gangster flick.
March 9, 2011
This is an under-rated Edward Burns classic. It's his story, directed by him and depicted in New York.
March 1, 2011
I just liked the "street realism" - it felt as if it probably happens like that now and then. Plus I felt the acting was right on by the cast. Having grown up in a city going through urban decay it seemed "un-hollywood" and with the "indie" look to it.
January 10, 2011
Don't let the synopsis fool you- this movie is not nearly as good as it sounds. The only thing that kept me watching it at all was the presence of Oliver Platt. Though the plot is a decent idea, it doesn't play out well in a movie that takes way too long to get off the ground and never seems to go too far once it does.
½ September 7, 2010
If you can take Ed Burns and Elijah Wood as Irish-American brothers (which is difficult I tell ya) then the film is watchable.
June 19, 2010
Edward Burns and Elijah Wood star as brothers growing up as part of irish gangs in hells kitchen after one of them kills a group of men who were gonna kill his brother he vanishes from his neighborhood figured for dead he turns up years later and no one has forgotten what he has done so now its a race for the two bothers to keep each other safe and too get out of town before they both end up dead. that sums of this plot of really well done drama that should be seen by anyone that enjoys a good crime drama type film
½ December 17, 2009
This was a good little sleeper that I caught on cable. You don't have to rush to see it, but it is good if there is nothing else on. A little slow at times, but not "turn it off" slow.
December 15, 2009
I like Malachy McCourt - don't like Edward Burns.
October 19, 2009
it was intertaining but not that good
August 9, 2009
Solid gangland thriller notable for being very down-to-earth. Perhaps a little too mainstream in the performances, it is still well directed by Burns.
August 8, 2009
wow umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch....its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie....i think that rosario dawson, pat mcnamara, oliver platt, julie hale, malachy mccourt, michael mulheren, james handy, elijah wood, edward burns play good roles/parts throughout this movie....i think that the director of this action/adventure/drama/thriller movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie....its a good movie 2 watch n its really enjoyable...i think that the fight scenes n the gun shoot outs were good throughout this movie
½ June 7, 2009
Good film, sad yet realistic ending.
May 19, 2009
I liked the concept of the story taking place over one day, but the storyline itself was a bit thin.
April 14, 2009
Elijah Wood! An obvious movie choice!
½ March 24, 2009
If any further proof is needed that Ed Burns is as dire a director as he is an actor, then AW is it. Slack and repetitive, it could have been edited down to 15 minutes (geddit?) for most of the dialogue includes the words: 'Where is Sean? We know he ain't dead' and is intoned by most of the cast throughout. The score also acts as some sort of musical Chinese water torture and doesn't alleviate the feeling that you're watching a loop. Burns is a miserable and leaden lead and Elijah Wood is as pale and cartoonish as ever. Some nice, richly coloured cinematography aside, this is a poor and meagre attempt and by no means the Irish Mean Streets it tries to be. A waste of celluloid from beginning to end. Half a star for the nice colours.
½ March 20, 2009
Ganske bra film, et par små twist and turns, men ikke veldig overraskende.. Gøy med Get Filmleie, though. ;)