Spider - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spider Reviews

February 23, 2016
Well acted and nicely paved, the film only loses a star due to a predictable twist.
½ February 14, 2016
Haven't seen a film quite this bad since I can remember. Nothing happens. Ralph Fiennes mumbles throughout the entire film - not one coherent sentence. The ending isn't brilliant either. It's not badly acted, but the story was so bad that they didn't have a chance! Very slow and incredibly tedious, which some people claim is artistic and wonderful, but it's not, it's shit.
½ January 28, 2016
Spider may be the biggest departure from a style which defined Cronenberg's career, that does not mean however it's existence isn't welcomed within his canon of achievements. Spider actually surpasses many of Cronenberg's and indeed many other film makers efforts, bringing to life a patient and layered performance based drama, which packs as much weight as it does punches. Spider is forced into confinement due to his deeply disturbed nature, over time he is released on the agreement he becomes a resident of a local east end half way house, a place which holds many memories for the troubled man. Once relocated, Spider retraces the footsteps of his troubled past, a drunk father and a selection of uninspiring mother figures, to unravel the reason for his mental instability. It's a slow and complex affair, forcing impatient viewers to really commit in order to understand the whole affair. Cronenberg's style works surprisingly well within the confines of an English period piece, with bold character work and subtle tension that broods throughout the increasing drama of the piece. It's his reserve here which really stands out, Cronenberg is well known for a visceral and assaulting style, and its a welcomed breath of fresh air to see him tackle something so basic. The cast are a delight to watch, Ralph Fiennes gives a career defining performance as Spider, with Miranda Richardson doubling up as the influencial women in his life. Richardson does such a dynamic job, she comes close to stealing the show. Gabriel Byrne also impresses. Spider has a wealth of attributes, but when all is said and done it never reaches quite the height of expectation or indeed gives us a solid and satisfying conclusion. Its a strong piece, surprising and filled with excellent performance, Cronenberg proves he can master a different style and Howard Shore's score is infectious, but when all is said and done, you wont be rushing back to witness its charm for quite some time.
½ December 28, 2015
Deep into the spiderweb of psychology, Cronenberg delivers a feature somewhat unordinary to his kind. Finnes plays a grown up, trapped in his mind as a kid, discovering his hidden and sinister past, and the events assumingly led this his now schizofrenic behavior. Not for the common watcher or the unpatient.
November 16, 2015
Slow, even boring, the only remarcable thing for me was Ralph Fiennes outstanding perfomance, just not my type of entertainment
October 26, 2015
A atuação de Ralph Fiennes impressiona! Incrível a semelhança com o livro.
July 5, 2015
dark,lonely and subversive as Cronenberg's films!!!
½ June 15, 2015
A character study horror flick with a decent into madness and no better folks to take us there than Fiennes and Cronenberg.
½ May 8, 2015
Certainly a well-crafted and acted film. Oddly, Ralph Fiennes is almost too realistic. Not all together satisfying.
½ March 26, 2015
Slow moving psychological drama. Literally had trouble staying away through it. The scene that sticks out is about a half hour into it when Ralph Fiennes shows his love for gardening(!!)
February 22, 2015
WOW.....WOW.....WOW.....WOW.....WHAT A MOVIE....WHAT A MOVIE.....I HAVE JUST SEEN THIS MOVIE 4 THE 1ST TIME N THINK THAT THIS IS SUCH A STRANGE MOVIE 2 WATCH, BUT IT IS SUCH A GREAT MOVIE 2 WATCH......ITS GOT A GOOD CAST OF ACTORS/ACTRESSES THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......I think that ralph fiennes, Miranda Richardson (from the brilliant tv series blackadder), Gabriel byrne, john Neville, lynn redgrave (.R.I.P.), play good roles/parts throughout this movie.......I think that this is such a really strange movie 2 watch, but it is such a complex movie 2 watch, its got a great cast throughout this movie......I think that ralph fiennes was absolutely brilliant throughout this movie......

Review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes gives the film a score of 85% based on reviews from 126 critics. On Metacritic, the film had an average score of 83 out of 100, based on 35 reviews.

It was mentioned in the 2002 Sight & Sound Poll by Amy Taubin, who ranked it at 10th

During a Q&A session at the Kodak Lecture Series in May 2005, Cronenberg revealed that neither he, nor Fiennes, nor Richardson, nor the producers received any sort of salary during the shooting of the film. All chose to waive their salaries, so the money could be used to bankroll the under-funded production.

The film premiered at the 2002 Cannes Film Festival and enjoyed some media buzz; however, it was released in only a few cinemas at the year's end by distributor Sony Pictures Classics. Nonetheless, the film enjoyed much acclaim by critics and especially by Cronenberg enthusiasts. The film garnered a Best Director award at the Canadian Genie Awards. The stars of the film, Ralph Fiennes and particularly Miranda Richardson, received several awards for their work in the film.

man this is such a strange movie 2 watch, but it is such a fantastic movie 2 watch,.....its got a good cast throughout this movie, man this is such a really complex movie 2 watch, but it is so really well directed/written/acted movie 2 watch I think that this is such a fantastic movie 2 watch.......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT SOME SCENES THORUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......
½ January 20, 2015
Excelente direcciòn, pero no es mi tipo de pelicula
½ January 9, 2015
Just flat out stupid an hour and thirty eight minutes of my life wasted.
August 5, 2014
A disturbing classic from Croenberg. Ralph Fiennes is amazing.
DrStrangeblog
June 20, 2014
Cronenberg's a gifted director, not a magician. This cripplingly slow study of a deeply troubled man isn't worth the time nor effort required. Ralph Fiennes does a creditable job while straining to sort through childhood memories told in flashback, but the end product is unrewarding.
May 27, 2014
Not for everyone. The film is very, very slow, and asks a lot of the viewer in terms of interpreting the story and images. I though this film was a masterpiece, my favorite Cronenberg film since Dead Ringers. I remember when I first rented this on DVD, as soon as the film ended, I immediately re-watched it with the director's commentary. Truly a work of art.
April 27, 2014
Terrence (John Neville): Clothes maketh the man; and the less there is of the man, the more the need of the clothes.

This was a fascinating view into the psychosis of a man trapped in a childhood trauma. Ralph Fiennes is such a brilliant actor that his character needn't utter a single word in order to convey his emotional state; you can see the mental torture he's character, Spider, was going through by the way Fiennes contorted his body. He was just amazing to watch. Gabriel Byrne who played Spider father and Miranda Richardson who played his mother were equally brilliant, especially the contrast between Richardson's mother and mistress personas. I wasn't sure what to expect from this film but with a stellar cast like this, I was certain the film wouldn't disappoint and it didn't.
April 12, 2014
Ralph Fiennes was brilliant... but the movie felt like it dragged at times and was way too much confusion for very little payoff.
April 3, 2014
There is something about Ralph Fiennes that embodies this sort of role so well, his face, like Harrison Fords, has such Tortured Depth & Seriousness, that in the right role he can really make you feel his Internal Conflict.That is the case here, you can see & feel that he is not quite right & he is SPOOKYYYYYY