Hafiš (The Sea) (Havet) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hafiš (The Sea) (Havet) Reviews

November 16, 2007
This film is so full of sadness, comparing to other film by this director, "Reykjavik 101". Maybe because the community is much smaller, a little company that deals with fish. The popular passions are money, family quarreling, and killing time. And because of that passion to the sea brings rather death, not life.
November 16, 2007
Icelanders know how to make good drama.
October 31, 2007
Hafnir hrafnur, hvor det gƄr! Islandsk familedrama som hever seg over andre i sjangeren pga. fantastisk persongalleri, og bukk. Morsom og tragisk.
½ November 11, 2003
Saw The Sea. Pretty disappointed. It's pretty much exactly the same movie as Festen (The Celebration) except it's set in Iceland, doesn't have the annoying Dogme camerawork, instead replacing it with a healthy dose of comedy. The comedy works, but the rest of the movie doesn't; as it progresses it becomes increasingly incoherent and structurally muddy. It's got all the conventions of the European movie about family: incest, alcoholism, troubled teens, a lot of pointless shouting... Meh.

My friend Dacres is coming back for the weekend. Let me tell you a little bit about Dacres: he's sort of a loud, hyperactive combo between Cosmo Kramer and The Dude. He moved to Sherbrooke (five hours from here) during the summer, but he keeps showing up periodically to see "the gang". He's super-spoiled by his parents so they let him do whatever he wants. In any case, the last time he came around he went to my other friend's house to "wash" and left three days later. I think this time around, however, he might take over my house. Too much Dacres can really drive somebody up the wall. He's a good guy, though, and I'm glad he's back all the time like this.

I forgot my (read: the school's) copy of 1984 on the city bus yesterday. Isn't that exciting?

Elliott Smith - Pitseleh

[i]I'll tell you why i don't want to know where you are
I got a joke i been dying to tell you
A silent kid is looking down the barrel
To make the noise that i kept so quiet
I kept it from you, pitseleh
I'm not what's missing from your life now
I could never be the puzzle pieces
They say that god makes problems
Just to see what you can stand
Before you do as the devil pleases
And give up the thing you love
But no one deserves it
The first time i saw you i knew it would never last
I'm not half what i wish i was
I'm so angry
I don't think it'll ever pass
And i was bad news for you just because
I never meant to hurt you[/i]

(Yes, I know the line in my title doesn't match the song. No, I don't care.)