Bug - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bug Reviews

December 27, 2007
Something will get under your skin at the Rustic Motel where none of the characters are likeable. Ashley Judd plays a lonely alcoholic/druggie/lesbo with an abusive ex. She meets a contagious paranoid schizophrenic with delusional tendencies. Despite two convincing performances as creepy crazies, this film is just too unpleasant and uncomfortable to watch without squirming in your seat. It starts up slow and plods along to the hot and naked end. If you believe in government conspiracy theories, you may enjoy some of this babble or you may be delusional too, but most of the audiences will just want their money back. It is rated "R" for drug use, violence, and nudity. The film's best features are: set design using bug zappers, fly strips, plastic, and aluminum foil; and nude man moving all over the screen without exposing his privates.
½ December 9, 2007
a fun and funny movie.
December 8, 2007
How the mighty are fallen! This smorgasborg of weedy coincidences smacks of Altman's Short Cuts and Amores Perez but without the wit, charm or intelligence of either. What are we supposed to make of the crushed bug and the potential suicide's outfit: American symbolism? Did the Mexican guy eventually get off with the sniffy Brit bitch? What was the point of any of it? There are many different movies based on this urban interconnectivity theme (Crash is another) but this is the lamest one I've ever had the misfortune to sit through. No, strike that: I turned it off before the end. Should have been called 'So What?'
November 18, 2007
A boy squishes a bug and sets off a chain of events and comes full circle to have his actions directly affect his life. It's non-linear "Altman-esque" approach make this an unusual film, but is good enough that I was never bored. It has that, 'waiting for it to get started' feeling and you realize half-way in that it is what it is. Something for those people who say, "it's all been done -- nothing's original anymore."
November 17, 2007
...somehow, our actions affect others...and so on...OR...what goes around, comes around...
November 5, 2007
Very amazing concept. Makes you really think about your actions. Don't believe in fate? You might after this.
½ October 29, 2007
If you love independent films with lots of imagination, Bug is definitely worth picking up as a rental, although you may have to hunt around a bit to find a copy. Although it's built around an idea that has been used several times before, the level of the writing makes it fresh enough to keep you entertained for the short duration.
October 11, 2007
great movie. solid script
½ October 6, 2007
This is a good independent movie. Good soundtrack and packed full of good actors. Nice flow and interesting non/linear story telling.
½ September 28, 2007
Not as charming or quirky as it would like to be and the character interaction at times is that hollow it's like watching Invasion of the Body Snatchers. I found that the whole butterfly effect thing is a bit forced on the whole too. Despite all that, it isn't that bad and features some nice moments. A poor man's Amelie.
½ September 22, 2007
AMAZING movie but not so much publicity. A chain of events in one city. It'll make you think that every single thing you do will have an impact on someone. good or bad.
½ September 15, 2007
good film - rather quirky ans a bit slow - but wonderful to explore 'the ripple effect'. Ending could have been better however
September 4, 2007
Crazy how one thing can change the world.
August 20, 2007
This is exactly the kind of movie that inspires people to document their day and talk in a Steve Irwin accent about their findings. Everything in this movie is intricately done, from the scenery to the acting to the characters clothing. Symbolism is everything with this film.
½ August 9, 2007
I love this movie! It's such a unique concept. One kid steps on a cockroach and the film follows its cause and effect chain on a group of 10 or so interconnected characters. The ending is so wonderful, I love it. Not only is the structure and content wonderfully unique, but it's also very funny. There's a really good cast as well. You should definitely see this if you haven't!
½ July 20, 2007
It was interesting to see how the butterfly effect was put into action by squishing a cochroach. Very funny, but I felt sorry for the mechanic.
½ July 5, 2007
my brother, my mia, my boyfriend, and i ended up grabbing this movie because we had a free rental and it was the closest thing in reach. i consider it fate, because this movie is amazing. it makes me want to give free hugs to everyone.
½ July 3, 2007
A great film, that shows the flow of chains of events. Continuity fascinates me, and this movie highlights its significance.
½ June 28, 2007
This movie was like my precursor to Crash, without the complicated racial tensions and violence. It was a laidback, charming independent film that really makes you think. It's also hilarious at the same time. Hands down, if you ever see this movie in a video store, check it out.