Carrie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Carrie Reviews

May 3, 2014
I thought that this film was quite good, a bit dragged out, could have skipped the interviews with the police, and just done the actual time zone of the story. It was a lot closer to the book, and the acting was good in places, I think I would give it a 3/5.
April 17, 2014
For a telefilm this is an amazing movie! Angela Bettis is great as Carrie and the pacing was top notch! A perfect pilot for a TV show that sadly never came...
½ April 15, 2014
Horrible, aburrida y mediocre.
½ April 10, 2014
Before the 2013 Carrie remake there was a 2002 Made For TV Carrie remake. For those of you who know the plot of the film and the novel by the great Stephen King this movie is about a young girl name Carrie White who is a young and shy girl who always gets picked on by one of the most popular kids in school. But soon what most people don't know is that Carrie has a gift and she unleash her gift once she gets pushed too far from her abusive religious mother and her classmates at her senior prom. To be honest I did enjoy this movie as much as I enjoy watching the other Carrie adaptations although in my opinion this movie can't hold a candle to the 2013 remake but the good thing about it is that the movie is more inline with the original 1976 Brian DePalma classic. One of the great things about this film is that the movie manage to show proof that it is just as suspenceful and intense as the original Carrie even though the whole movie is shot with a modest budget and the whole quality of the film looks like a low budget remake. There are a couple of suspenceful and intense scenes in the movie(The prom massacre, the destruction of the entire Chamberlain, Maine town and the of course unexpected scene where Carrie kills Billy and Chris in their own car). The other things I like about this film is that the movie has a couple of scenes that were in the novel but were missing from the original Carrie. The entire script by screenwriter Bryan Fuller is extremely faithful to the novel but the only thing that was changed in the movie from the novel is the ending because in the original, the novel and the 2013 remake Carrie dies but in this version Carrie survives and the only reason why the ending was changed is that if the movie is successful there will be a TV series adaptation of Carrie which was never made due to the film's low ratings, weak reviews and lack of interest its quite a shame because the TV series can be a smart idea as a continuation to this film its quite sad that the show was never made. While the last things I like about this film is the soundtrack composed by Laura Karpman and I love the soundtrack of this film a lot and its darker and more gothic than Pino Donaggio's soundtrack for the original plus I also love the way the soundtrack change its tone in several scenes and the movie has a combination of dark and gothic Horror filled with drama elements. Oh and the conversation scenes with Carrie and her mother is really nice and very dramatic which makes you feel so calm and makes you believe between Carrie and her mother and those scenes also give you an emotional feeling. Also the whole movie looks very 90's looking in terms of the effects and the quality even the CGI looks extremely dated and very 90's looking at the same time and the effects aren't nearly as good as the effects in the 2013 remake but the effects are just dated and the movie also feels like Carrie has been remade back in the 1990's than in 2002. Now the acting is neat in this film some are a little bit wooden with their performances but their characters are extremely different when compared to the original Carrie. Angela Bettis did a very good job with her performance as Carrie White. Same with Patricia Clarkson as Margaret White Carrie's mother and I prefer Patricia Clarkson's Margaret White a bit more than Piper Laurie's character because Patricia Clarkson's character is less wild in this version than Piper Laurie in the original. Kandyse McClure though lacks the sensitivity of Amy Irving's performance in the original as Sue Snell. Emilie De Ravin's performance gave me a mixed feeling because her performance is wooden in certain parts but her character is less evil than Nancy Allen's character in the original and I like the way she was happy for Carrie when Carrie won with Tommy Ross as Prom King and Queen of the prom. Rena Sofer did a very good job with her performance as the gym teacher Miss Desjarden. Tobias Mehler did a very good job also with his performance as Tommy Ross and Jesse Cadoet did a very good job with his performance as Billy Nolan and his character is a bit more of a juvenile psychotic greaser than the bad boy performance of John Travolta in the original. Director David Carson did a very good job with his work on this movie a lot and he managed to create a very good remake of the original 1976 classic even though the whole thing is shot with a modest budget and the quality makes it look like a low budget film but at least it seriously worked very well and Carson's directing is ambitious and focused at the same time. Overall the 2002 Carrie remake is a great film and it is inline with the original but I highly prefer the 2013 remake a lot more. This movie gets the same rating as the original Carrie. This movie gets a 9.6/10.
April 3, 2014
The best Carrie adaptation so far.
½ March 10, 2014
I liked this made for tv remake. It gave a different structure to the Carrie storyline and the cast is pretty good for the most part.
February 17, 2014
Looks like a cheap remake.
½ February 12, 2014
This movie I God awful! The acting is terrible, they picked the worst actors to play the characters! The reason I rated it only a half a star is because of how terrible this and because the chick that played Carrie did a good job. Her acting sucked but she was a good fit for the character. I watched a half hour of it on Netflix and I was stopping myself from gouging my eyes out! That is a half hour of my life I will NEVER get back! Save your time with this one and check out the 2013 version of Carrie. The acting in that is great, story lines great, the movies great, everything is great about it! Also, chloe Grace Moretz played the part EXCELLENTLY! WAY BETTER than the chick in this one!
½ February 10, 2014
an amazing remake that beats the original in maybe everything. out of Carrie 1976, The rage Carrie 2 and maybe Carrie 2013 this is the best its. not boring its entertaning.
January 13, 2014
Personally I loved this, and am a huge Angela Bettis fan in general. I loves the twist ending, but to be fair, I watched it as a movie not a mini series. As far as remakes go this was great, the NEW Carrie remake is so terrible it made my head hurt. More folks should watch this if they found the new remake insipid. This one is better acted, more fun, and has a completely different ending than the original or remake... I liked it.
January 5, 2014
Este filme é muito melhor do que o de 1976, mas continua a não capturar os poderes que a Carrie tem, só acontece isso na cena do baile e eu acho que todos os filmes deviam ir mais ao fundo dos poderes da Carrie.
January 4, 2014
Decent remake, well-casted, didn't care for Angela Bettis as the lead though.
January 3, 2014
I liked this version, In some ways it was better than the original in that it tried harder to follow the book than the first movie did.
October 28, 2013
Why did they produce this remake, like, seriously.
October 20, 2013
Fallido intento de hacer de Carrie una serie de television, con una historia mas fiel a la novela y una Angela Bettis muy acorde del personaje pero que siempre vivira bajo la sombra de la increible actuacion de Sissy Spacek.
½ October 19, 2013
Actually not a bad remake up until the finale. It's more faithful to the book in its telling of the story through third person accounts as told through police records. It's such a shame that the prom and the conclusion lets it down.
I take it from Sue's calm demeanour that Tommy survived this one. Miss Desjardin does too. I like these facts. I did think they were unnecessary victims of the DePalma film. This does lack the style of the original greatly. The finale is poorly edited and the green screen effects are way too obvious. Chris isn't nasty enough and the comeuppances are far too safe for tv.
A great performance from Bettis as Carrie White does service the film. Sadly Patricia Clarkson's Margaret White is very lacking.
It's a good film up to a point, but the ending leaves it just so-so.
October 18, 2013
This remake of the classic horror film Carrie is too loyal to the source material for its own good, and isn't able to deliver any chills or scares. The cast, which features Emilie de Ravin, Kandyse McClure, and Rena Sofer, isn't that bad, but the performances are bland and lifeless. The directing is also especially poor and makes all the sets and costumes look cheap. Additionally, the pacing is extremely slow and prevents the story from building any momentum or engaging the audience. While this Carrie may be closer to the original novel, it doesn't work cinematically.
½ October 11, 2013
imagine the original classic carrie minus any horror,gore,cheaper actors and a massive tv feel to it and you have this remaking,that seems to exist mainly to try and create a tv series. it feels actually really feels and looks amature is the main problem like they filmed it as some kind of college film,the only thing that makes me think it isnt is there are actual actors here i know from other stuff.
September 23, 2013
Not the best, but Angela Bettis made a really good Carrie. With the tweaks that were made in this remake, it has me a little more intrigued to see what they're doing in the remake coming out next month (Oct 2013).
September 9, 2013
Not a single piece of scenery goes unchewed by every actor in every scene and yet it ain't all bad. There's some cool moments but oof, a lot of those effects do not hold up ten years later.