Slash - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Slash Reviews

February 29, 2016
I have wasted so many hours on trash films, I'm embarrassed to say, but this film was by no means the worst. All right, not the best, but I have to say i liked it fairly well.
I only guessed who the killer(s) was (were) right before the end.
Not into rock music myself, but as it wasn't too heavy rock, it didn't disturb me.
Don't have too great expectations and you'll enjoy it.
The acting was actually quite good for this sort of film. The direction, I felt, wasn't bad either. I think the dialogue wasn't good though - my only real gripe.
Relax, have a glass of wine, or beer, and enjoy.
½ October 31, 2015
Drops the popcorn and drink then leaves...
½ October 1, 2013
A relatively tame, bloodless slasher in the "there's something in the fields that must be fed to protect our harvest" vein. It's not a bad film per se, but offers nothing that hasn't been done and done better elsewhere.
February 25, 2013
Creepy location & it has the 80's slasher feel to it.
April 16, 2012
If the title doesn't give it away, this is yet another idiotic slasher film--and not a good one. While I enjoy idiotic slasher films, Slash fails on every level as it attempts to mix redneck horror together with slasher horror with a heavy dose of evil scarecrows. Plus, it is about a band named Slash who fall victim to a slasher. How much more trite can you get?
February 15, 2012
Slash (Neil Sundstrom, 2002)

First and absolutely foremost, horror film directors: if you're going to make a movie that has a rock band as its central characters, and are going to pass them off as a hard rock or metal band, for the love of pete, know the music you're trying to depict. As in most cases, Slash, the titular band at the heart of this movie, sounds like a bad soft-rock-radio wannabe (while they didn't exist when this movie came out, Slash's music reminds me all too uncomfortably of Daughtry's sappier ballads. I hate Daughtry.) I mean, come on, even the music in Hard Rock Zombies was better than this. (I can't provide external links in Amazon reviews, but if you go to the web's most popular video site and type in "hard rock zombies street angel" without the quotes, you can get a sampling of Paul Sabu's ultra-cheesy, glorious soundtrack.) Things get worse as the movie goes on, music-wise. Because of spoiler issues, I can't really give you the details on why this is the case (and it is situational, in a way), but by the time we get to the end of the movie, we have degenerated, musically, out of Daughtry territory and into Hinder. FEAR THIS. It's some of the most unintentionally hilarious music I've come across in a movie since the golden age of the Satanic-Panic Heavy Metal movie in the mid-eighties. (Remember Black Roses? If so, I pity you....)

The rest of the film is markedly better than its soundtrack, but "markedly" is a relative term here. This is a pretty generic slasherfest in which the members of Slash-lead singer Mac (Kiss the Bride's James O'Shea), bassist Suzie (Lost's Zuleikha Robinson), drummer Rod (District 9's David Dukas), keyboardist Keith (Remember the Titans' Craig Kirkwood), and guitarist Ray (Guy Raphaely in his first screen role), along with Ray's girlfriend Candy (Hey Boy's Nina Wassung) and their videographer/driver/gofer Ian (Catch a Fire's Neels Clasen), journey back to the rural-VERY rural-farm where Mac grew up for his aunt's funeral. They are met there by Mac's father, Jeremiah (B-horror stalwart Steve Railsback), and the farm's last remaining hired hand, Billy Bob (The Breed's Nick Boraine), who are creepy enough, but then, at the aunt's funeral, crazy local Jessie (The Last Leprechaun's Jocelyn Broderick) starts ranting about the harvest of blood being back. As Bill Cosby was wont to say, oh-bee-kay-bee...

It's not as if the movie is all bad. There's actually some interesting playing around with stereotypes (it is no surprise that aside from Railsback, Boraine has the most experience in from of the camera here, and hey, the crazy local is actually... kinda hotter than the band girls, which is saying something, because Zuleikha Robinson is quite the looker) and a few good comedic lines, but as a slasher film, it is utterly generic. You will be able to pick out specific scenes and say exactly where they came from if you're even a casual fan of the genre. Worse, the whole thing isn't actually tied together all too well; I assume that means there's a lot of continuity stuff that ended up sitting on the cutting room floor. They should have kept it in. And by the time you get to the ending, as godawful as it is, well, if you're not prepared for its godawfulness, you haven't been paying enough attention. **
October 11, 2011
another slasher horror flick with flawed characters and repeats of what has already been done.
½ December 21, 2010
It.....Sucked!!! File this 1 under Garbage
November 11, 2010
Staring that guest star from Lost! Slash follows the least rocking rock band ever as they spontaneously decide to visit the farm that the lead singer guy (I have no idea what his first name is) inherits after his aunt dies. Or maybe he's just visiting. And bringing along the entire band complete with tour bus.

Anyway, at the farm, we meet Joe Bob and... uh... 'Dad', who kinda hang out and look semi menacing. Or at least the dad does as Joe Bob quickly reveals that he can do anything that the token black guy musician can do, and better. Guess who dies first? (Correct answer worth zero points.)

Possibly the biggest flaw, though the entire movie is just one giant flaw, finds the supposed "main character" spending almost the entire movie moping around the farm alone instead of being in the movie as a character and stuff. There are a few scattered exchanges between him and Dad about needing to stay on the farm and carry on with the MacDonald family legacy. Oh yeah, the farmer's name is farmer MacDonald. Not a single joke made in the movie about this point is even close to funny, though most of the jokes we made while watching were pretty good.

2 stars for some inadvertent entertainment value, but mostly a waste of time. Oh, and the dead grandpa did it.
October 24, 2010
A "B" movie at it's worst
September 30, 2010
Well... At least the bands music was better than the movie, so I give it stars for the music.
June 10, 2010
Surprisingly good for a low-budget horror film. Predictable all the way through and not quite gory enough, but kept me hooked from beginning to end. If you like low-budget horrors, this one is definitely worth a watch. Otherwise, stay away.
½ December 5, 2009
oh mon dieu quelle merdeeeeeuuuhhh!!
November 17, 2009
Seriosly, all actors suck! Couldn't care for any of those characters! They all appeard to be extreamly annoying.
½ October 17, 2009
OMG...WHY!!!?! So bad it hurts.
July 30, 2009
½ June 6, 2009
I thought it was entertaining... it had it's funny parts.
½ May 12, 2009
i´ve seen it but cant remember the movie.
But i remember that i didnt enjoy it.
April 26, 2009
Nice to be reminded of the 80s Horror Films that I saw when I was young. 4 stars for the movie because I got nostalgic feelings from that time. : D
½ April 13, 2009
..this is just an utter piece of shit. I can't believe I stuck w/ it (there was nothing else on except maybe Jerry Spiringer)